Impulse's sound

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Anonym

Impulse's sound

Post by Anonym » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:45 pm

I was just going to start a thread on how bad drum rack's / simpler's sound was, but after checking it seemed to render just right.

The problem is: I started making my drums on a certain set with simpler, but wanted to transfer them to drum rack. Comparing the sound of both instruments, Impulse's was noticably better.

First I thought it was just a volume issue, adjusted the Simpler's volumes to 0dB and as even after that Impulse was still louder, I adjusted by ear and meters. Then I thought I might have changed something inside Impulse, but I had not.

So what does Impulse do to the sounds ?

Anonym

Post by Anonym » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:20 pm

*bump*

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:27 pm

are you sure it isn't an envelope issue.

Anonym

Post by Anonym » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:12 pm

I went to check once more and while I could not reproduce the sound issue - I wonder how that could be as I checked quite thoroughly before posting this - but I noticed is always slightly panned right although it is set to center.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:17 pm

you may have a version of Live which has and issue with 'elves', some odd numbered (Serial number) versions had this issue. They can play tricks, alter sounds and pan stuff around .
If it persists you should contact support@ableton.com and tell them that you have "the elf problem" and they will guide you from there.
Make sure to say that it started today, and include the date. :)

Anonym

Post by Anonym » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:38 pm

You seem to be right about the envelopes, I just don't understand how that's possible. When I play them (Drum Rack via computer keyboard, Impulse vie buttons to have direct acces to both), they sound exactly the same. When I play them with a clip, they don't. It really sounds like Impulse's sound were cut, but I put decay to the max (10s), so this cannot really be…

This was with velocity set to 100% on both instruments and all sounds - both being triggered from the same clip…

Now I set velocity to 0% on everything and the volumes I had adjusted are now different. It seems like both instruments don't react to velocity the same way even when configured the same.

All pretty weird, but I guess I'll forget all that and just let Impulse be. That is what I intended to do anyway but I'd have found it nice to have an answer on what it does for when I want to transfer sounds from it to Drum Rack…

Anonym

Post by Anonym » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:40 pm

Thanks for the tip, but the elves started their work some time ago… :D