the biggest frustration using Live live....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Timur

Post by Timur » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:05 am

BTW, 2nd press brings you into "Mixer Drop-Down Area" according to the help-window. But there seems to be nothing to control with via keyboard there. Need to explore some more... :D Also use ALT-left/right to switch from clip to browser (left) and to Scenes (right). This is how the Native Kontrol hack works, too.

I'm setting up something here at the moment that should allow me to remote control Live from some meters distance while standing in front of my recording mic or having a guitar hung down my shoulders (which both keep me from mousing around at the table). It's a combination of Padkontrol (Live remote control), Kore (plugins setup) and midi foot-controller (plugins remote control, especially guitar effects). I could/should also incorporate the Remote SL into this, but it's size (37 keys size) is a problem and I don't want to buy a Zero SL just for that.

monkeyj

Post by monkeyj » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:27 am

thefool wrote:the most annoying thing in live: the hidden built in limiter.

? whats this?
peace, monkeyj

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:05 am

This is really interesting stuff. I can't say that alot of it made sense to me, as I'm a bit of a Live virgin (I got L7 about four months ago)!

That racks-in-a-rack trick seems really quite smart; when I found the chain selector (accompanied by dummy clips in the audio lanes) I was over the moon...seriously!

All in all, Live IS a good one-stop solution for performing live music, even though there might be some 'bugs' that irritate the crap outta some of the more hardcore users. C'mon, show the love!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:49 am

To the original post this is one of the reason's I broke down and bought Kore 2. I can blind fold my computer screen and just have the Kore 2 controller and also Remote SL25. SL25 with Automap which allows me to change focus on each track to the first plugin by pressing the record button for each track twice and then if I need to get to the one beside it all you have to do is press the right and left arrow keys to navigate. So with SL25 setup and Kore 2 I'm in heaven with total control over Ableton almost but its a really nice setup. I mean we talk about not using more than one controller but more than one controller gives us that hardware action that we all want from our computer plugins right. So having a few controllers around locked to plugins should make for an incredible live performance IMHO.

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:31 am

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote: To dive in a little deeper...
For each track set the Main Racks Chain Ruler to your MIDI keyboard say from C-2 to C2. Then create a chain in the main rack for each MIDI note. Here you would have 48 chains, C-2 to C2 has 48 notes. Map the macros or the main rack to the all macros of the children racks. So now when you turn macro 1 on the main rack macro 1 on all of the child racks will turn.

1. Map the Main/Parent racks macros to the 8 knobs on your controller. Now whenever you hit a note it will always bring up/select that Racks macros. All other chains macros will twist but since they are not selected via chain audio doesnt pass through them...

To use this on more tracks

1. Set up your MIDI controllers banks to output the same CCs and Notes but a different channel for all of them so:

bank/Preset 1 will send out on chan 1,
bank/Preset 2 will send out on chan 2,
bank/Preset 3 will send out on chan 3, ......

3. For each track set the parent/Main Racks chain selector and Main Macros to respond to a different channel. So, by switching banks on your MIDI controller you can now access any Macro you want
:idea: :( :) :D bloody hell! thats absolutely awesome. i had to read it twice but on the second time round the penny dropped...THANKYOU
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

attackmode

Post by attackmode » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:07 pm

forge wrote: yeah I dont know - we discussed the issue at both camps and I certainly didn't come out any clearer as to why they cant do it - just that it was a big PITA to put it in and they might never

if you could have a button to choose between relative and absolute then you could decide whether you wanted to have it work as it does now, or have any automation played by a clip overwrite the Arranger automation
I never really understood why they decided to use relative automation in session view.

I think it would be a lot easier to have absolute automation in all views.
Moving the automated knob in session view would move the automation data up and down accordingly.
And in recording mode the data would be overwritten.
Thinkpad T60, M-Audio Audiophile, BCR2000, padKontrol, Axiom 49, Klein + Hummel O-300

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:21 pm

forge wrote: I guess you could put a copy of the rack on every track and use the ALT+down trick to select the device - Angstrom's jsut cooked up a script in Glove PIE for doing that but mac users could probably find something like Bomes for that

thanks!
mac users can use midistroke, and for stirring up everybody, forge should do just what he is guessing here, give it back to mike@trackteam for distribution on his website for $US 5 a pop and work out the split later :) .
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:26 pm

mikemc wrote:
forge wrote: I guess you could put a copy of the rack on every track and use the ALT+down trick to select the device - Angstrom's jsut cooked up a script in Glove PIE for doing that but mac users could probably find something like Bomes for that

thanks!
mac users can use midistroke, and for stirring up everybody, forge should do just what he is guessing here, give it back to mike@trackteam for distribution on his website for $US 5 a pop and work out the split later :) .
:D

he he..yes Mike has taken the wind out of my sails a little with that dynamite, but I do still feel I would like the focus of Live 8 to be all about the real time stuff -I think it will, or I hope it will

the automation stuff they have confirmed is high on their radar will go a long way to helping that

If I download the first alpha/beta/whatever of Live 8 and see an absolute/relative button in the Clip envelope box I honestly worry I will cease to exist as my work on this earth will be done

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:56 pm

I'm almost depressed to post these yet again but..

As a DAW:

- The ability to coehesively use dual screens

- Keyframing ... if you want to create a filter sweep.. go to where you want the sweep to start, press the "keyframe" button and set the filter to the position it should start from, press the keyframe button again so it sets it.

Then proceed to go to move the track marker to where you want the sweep to end and press the "keyframe" button. Adjust your filter to the setting you wish it to end on and press the keyframe button again for it to set the keyframe.

- Bezier curves on automation.. . . . .

As a performance tool:

- CUE Points within tracks... the folks at Ableton seem very unaware of how important this is and I've had the heads of Ableton personally say this is not a required feature..

- Buttons to select positions on a macro instead of a dial so we can have some presets which we know what they are and are able to be called upon at will

- Real-time step xox style sequencer input with parameter feedback

- Navigation of devices/contextual selection using a midi controller

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:58 pm

forge wrote:
mikemc wrote:

thanks!
:D

he he..yes Mike has taken the wind out of my sails a little with that dynamite, but I do still feel I would like the focus of Live 8 to be all about the real time stuff -I think it will, or I hope it will

the automation stuff they have confirmed is high on their radar will go a long way to helping that

If I download the first alpha/beta/whatever of Live 8 and see an absolute/relative button in the Clip envelope box I honestly worry I will cease to exist as my work on this earth will be done
+1 on the Live 8 focus...

:D I thought it would be nirvana when right click menus happened, and saw some posts to the effect of "....and now what's all this right mouse click shit all of a sudden..." :)
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:02 pm

sweetjesus wrote:- CUE Points within tracks... the folks at Ableton seem very unaware of how important this is and I've had the heads of Ableton personally say this is not a required feature..
Funny stuff. That feature is actually in Live. It just requires a lot of hacking to make use of it. Amazing what you uncover with an API project. :lol:

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:23 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:- CUE Points within tracks... the folks at Ableton seem very unaware of how important this is and I've had the heads of Ableton personally say this is not a required feature..
Funny stuff. That feature is actually in Live. It just requires a lot of hacking to make use of it. Amazing what you uncover with an API project. :lol:
share details or go to bed!

siddhu

Post by siddhu » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:42 pm

sweetjesus wrote:I'm almost depressed to post these yet again but..

As a DAW:

- The ability to coehesively use dual screens

- Keyframing ... if you want to create a filter sweep.. go to where you want the sweep to start, press the "keyframe" button and set the filter to the position it should start from, press the keyframe button again so it sets it.

Then proceed to go to move the track marker to where you want the sweep to end and press the "keyframe" button. Adjust your filter to the setting you wish it to end on and press the keyframe button again for it to set the keyframe.

- Bezier curves on automation.. . . . .

As a performance tool:

- CUE Points within tracks... the folks at Ableton seem very unaware of how important this is and I've had the heads of Ableton personally say this is not a required feature..

- Buttons to select positions on a macro instead of a dial so we can have some presets which we know what they are and are able to be called upon at will

- Real-time step xox style sequencer input with parameter feedback

- Navigation of devices/contextual selection using a midi controller

KEY FRAME AUTOMATION!!

Why hasn't anyone mentioned this before? Brilliant idea!

yes yes yes
yes yes yes
yes yes yes
yes yes yes
yes yes yes
yes yes yes
:) :D

forge

Post by forge » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:32 pm

davec1 wrote:I'm not happy with the way live handles this stuff either, the lack of program change support for native devices, no configureable hotkeys, very limited user scripts (8 encoders, 8 level faders, 16 sends knobs...) etc...

but here's an idea what you could do:

create lots of user scripts for control surfaces and lock them to various devices in the set....
I just thought, what if you could enter MIDI map mode and select presets in the browser and press a program change key on your MIDI keyboard and assign it to a preset in the browser? So all the presets listed in the browser become blue (or yellow in key mode) so you can assign them to whatever you want

I agree, it's a total PITA that you can't change presets with the program change buttons on MIDI devices (again, disclaimer: without 3rd party apps)