Are there any endless encoders that aren't detented?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
attackmode

Post by attackmode » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:02 pm

autoy wrote:
attackmode wrote:
attackmode wrote: ....
Also the upcoming Novation Nocturn has endless encoders but I'm not sure if they're detented (I hope not).
Just came back from the Musik Messe and the Nocturn has not detented encoders. The guy on the booth said they should finally be available in about two weeks. I'm waiting...
Any word if it supports a HUI/Mackie Universal mode? First news I heard about automap universal 2.0 said so. And if so, I'm sold.
I didn't ask but I don't think so. As I understand it the Automap of the Nocturn is just a wrapper around VST/AU/RTAS plugins. It does not natively integrate with Lives devices like the SLs do.
It's basically the same as Lives MIDI mapping but the parameter assignment is inverted, allowing you to assign every knob unlimited times. Well and the mapping is stored with the plugin and not with the project.

+ Touch sensitive relative encoders (no parameter jumps).
+ Unlimited parameter banks.
+ Switching between plugins using control groups.

- No native integration with Live.
gp23 wrote:
Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
attackmode wrote:...the Nocturn has not detented encoders.
Wow. That's a surprise. And good news!
The speed dial is detented though, isn't it? Which would make it slightly less speedy, in my mind.
I didn't try the speed dial, so I don't know. But I think it would be fine if it was detented because it is intended for fine-tuning parameters and doing program changes.
Thinkpad T60, M-Audio Audiophile, BCR2000, padKontrol, Axiom 49, Klein + Hummel O-300

attackmode

Post by attackmode » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:03 pm

double post
Thinkpad T60, M-Audio Audiophile, BCR2000, padKontrol, Axiom 49, Klein + Hummel O-300

Timur

Post by Timur » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:56 pm

The Kore controller offers touch sensitive endless knobs that are relentless (plus it allows to overcome the 128 parameter limit of Live :P).

blank

Post by blank » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:51 pm

blinkeye wrote:Alesis Photon X25 has the best feeling encoders without detents i've ever used.
Knobs and mod wheels on that controller are awesome

the rest is pure krap but the endless knobs are the main reason for me to keep it on my desk
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:43 pm

TITBAG wrote:
mr.ergonomics wrote:sorry for my brief style, but I have to catch a train :-)
WAIT. I HAVE AN URGENT SYSEX QUERY
Sure, what do you want to know?