Kontrol49 install driving me APESH!T

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
suspended childhood

Kontrol49 install driving me APESH!T

Post by suspended childhood » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:48 am

OK...I searched and saw all the problems getting this to CONFIGURE with Live, but I cant even get this thing to show up in the drop down for INPUT device.

Additionally, in the Device Manager it has the yellow exclamation mark showing it is not installed properly.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled this thing several times over the past several hours and rebooted a few times as well.

All of the files from KORG.com are downloaded and installed.

All Windows updates are also downloaded and installed.

What does it take to get this thing to show as "installed" and as an option in the MIDI Preferences drop down?

PC: Windows XP
Live 6.0.10

No problems with Reason 4....but you knew that already!

Also does not show up for Jupiter8 when using as standalone.
John Deere 9860STS Hydraflex , 15" MBP 2.5 C2D 4 gigs RAM, 15" MBP 2.33 Dual Core 3 gigs ram, ultralite x2, MPD 32, Kontrol49, v4, CG-8, live 7, reason 4, Trilogy, MiniMonsta, Oddity, M8. http://www.myspace.com/robclay

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:46 am

what I dont get is...even though it doesnt show in the drop down as an option for MIDI input, it operates fine for triggering clips, I can do faders and pads too. I can trigger with the keys....

but I cant "play" the keys!
John Deere 9860STS Hydraflex , 15" MBP 2.5 C2D 4 gigs RAM, 15" MBP 2.33 Dual Core 3 gigs ram, ultralite x2, MPD 32, Kontrol49, v4, CG-8, live 7, reason 4, Trilogy, MiniMonsta, Oddity, M8. http://www.myspace.com/robclay

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:49 am

Sorry, no answers from me. I'm just about to buy one so I am interested to know about the problem and the solution. :(
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:49 am

supposedly once is working its awesome...Im just not at that point yet.

I could DJ with it no problem...but I want to use these VSTs and Im having an impossible time getting it to "play".

Im using a Trigger Finger and UC33 to play out and want to take this with me....

mdk

Post by mdk » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:27 am

so have you run that little app in the start menu for installing the driver for the right port?

thats one thing i found to watch out for is that you first install all the software, then connect the keyboard, then run the app to get the driver connected to the right usb port.

after that it should all work fine, bit weird that its kind of working.

have you checked with the korg librarian app how its setup?

because there are 2 output ports (not the physical midi ones, but 'virtual' usb ones), so its possible that your keyboard is routed to Port B and everything else to Port A.

I've never had any problems with mine once i've done the slightly weird setup procedure.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

dys4ik

Post by dys4ik » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:36 pm

Yeah, that little app seems to require to be run whenever you change USB ports as well.

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:40 pm

im on my way to work so I will have to try this out tinight....

will this give me the option of "Kontrol49" in the INPUT drop down?

Or will it still look wierd after I go through these steps?

jamesp

Post by jamesp » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:29 pm

Running the USB MIDI EXsetup applet should get rid of the yellow flag in the Device Manager. For the rest, be sure you've got the Korg turned on before opening Live. Hope it helps.

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:28 am

mdk wrote:so have you run that little app in the start menu for installing the driver for the right port?

thats one thing i found to watch out for is that you first install all the software, then connect the keyboard, then run the app to get the driver connected to the right usb port.

after that it should all work fine, bit weird that its kind of working.

have you checked with the korg librarian app how its setup?

because there are 2 output ports (not the physical midi ones, but 'virtual' usb ones), so its possible that your keyboard is routed to Port B and everything else to Port A.

I've never had any problems with mine once i've done the slightly weird setup procedure.

yep the app did it...for anyone reading this having the same problem:

With the Kontrol49 connected and switched to USB on the back...

Navigate to:

Start>All Programs>Korg> Korg USB-MIDI Driver Tools > Install Korg USB-MIDI Device.

You should then see the Kontrol49 listed. Click “Install”. If prompted, click “Continue Anyway”. After this, you’re Kontrol49 should be all set up for use in Ableton Live.

I feel like that $500.00 I spent is valid now:)

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:20 am

Ok.

I have gone through the lessons:

I have Kontrol 49 (and the different ports) selected in all drop downs in the Input section of the preferences.

There is a yellow light that lights up in the upper right corner by the "D" when I press a key

There is a yellow light that lights up in the upper right corner between the key and midi section when I turn a knob or fader. It appears to be set up due to the lights in Ableton.

When I map a pad on the Kontrol 49 to trigger a track or scene, it works.

I can turn the knobs and see the macros turn.

When I arm the track, turn up the volume of the track, and I "play" the keys of the VST, the yellow lights light up but nothing else happens. I don’t get any sound, and the keys don’t get "played" in the software synth, whether it's Trilogy, Jupiter 8, or any of the Korg Legacy apps. I can use the mouse and hit the keys in the VST and I get sound.

When I play the Korg and the Jupiter 8 apps as stand alone, I can play fine.

This tells me there is something wrong in Ableton itself and I should not have to use the editor because it works without fine Ableton.

I have run all the patches/ updates on the Korg site.

How do I get this to work?

Im using live 6. and Cubase scene on the Korg...because I saw somewhere that was the best onefor Ableton...I didnt ask....

Thanks in advance.

dys4ik

Post by dys4ik » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:16 am

suspended childhood wrote:Ok.

I have gone through the lessons:

I have Kontrol 49 (and the different ports) selected in all drop downs in the Input section of the preferences.

There is a yellow light that lights up in the upper right corner by the "D" when I press a key

There is a yellow light that lights up in the upper right corner between the key and midi section when I turn a knob or fader. It appears to be set up due to the lights in Ableton.

When I map a pad on the Kontrol 49 to trigger a track or scene, it works.

I can turn the knobs and see the macros turn.

When I arm the track, turn up the volume of the track, and I "play" the keys of the VST, the yellow lights light up but nothing else happens. I don’t get any sound, and the keys don’t get "played" in the software synth, whether it's Trilogy, Jupiter 8, or any of the Korg Legacy apps. I can use the mouse and hit the keys in the VST and I get sound.

When I play the Korg and the Jupiter 8 apps as stand alone, I can play fine.

This tells me there is something wrong in Ableton itself and I should not have to use the editor because it works without fine Ableton.

I have run all the patches/ updates on the Korg site.

How do I get this to work?

Im using live 6. and Cubase scene on the Korg...because I saw somewhere that was the best onefor Ableton...I didnt ask....

Thanks in advance.
Verify the "input type" is correctly set (try "All Ins" and "All Channels" for now, if you aren't already).

If the keyboard is sending midi notes properly, it should light up the three black blocks next to "All Channels" a yellow color.

If not, go to your prefs/midi and make sure "Track" is set to "On" for each of the Korg input ports.

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:31 am

yes...thats the case for everything you mentioned...thats why Im going crazy.

benmighty

Post by benmighty » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:09 pm

this was really frustrating when i first got my k49 also - here's what i remember having to do, and still do now when ever i have to reload settings:

in the preferences menu, on the controller setup (where you have the drop-down menu that you selected the k49 from, and all the usb/midi routings) - what i had to do initially was click "on" for EVERY usb track, remote, and err whatever the third one is, for BOTH the ins AND outs . . . basically tell ableton to look EVERYWHERE. see if that gets a response from the vst keys, and if it does, then go back in and start turning groups off, once you turn the one group of three off and you stop getting a response, then that's the one.

i think mdk is right too in that there are two of these usb "ports" so you might have to repeat this test for the sliders/knobs also. it sound like you might already have this port configured though . . . i can't honestly remember whether i have multiple ins/outs set on the k49 because i've just recently integrated another independently-controlled keyboard into the equation (which was another quickly-resolved headache) . . .

but yeah, the whole point here is to encourage you to stick with it, because once you do get it configured, the kontrol49 is well worth the money. or i should say, once you *start* to get it set up, because this thing is programmable beyond belief. i *just* figured out how to set the velocity settings on the pads a few days ago to a constant value instead of being velocity sensitive, which made a world of difference in drum programming. and reading the manual to figure that out lead me to a whole new set of options i didn't even know about in the 6+ months i've had the thing.

good luck!