tenori in combination with live 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deepfunktribal

tenori in combination with live 7

Post by deepfunktribal » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:39 am

tenori is capable of using own sounds. i assume they have to be used from the sd card since tenori has no usb connection (just midi out and midi in).
is there any way to use it in combination with live 7 ? as a step sequencer or midi controller or ???
also it seems strange that it has no usb connection to manage the sound on it with a comfortable tool on a big lcd.
so basically tenori is a step sequencer to trigger own samples and a few effects and not more ?

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:50 am

So far the Tenori is a closed system. It does send and receive midi notes and i believe you can sync it to midi. Dont know if you can play with the lights but im guessing since it receives MIDI notes, when it receives a note that coresponding LED will illuminate. If you want to use it to control/sequence Live i would def recommend the Monome ( if you can get your hands on one ) or a Lemur. Gotta say the best part of the tenori-on are the sounds. People bag on the sounds lots, but i personally love Toshio Iwai's sounds, way quirky...Im definately warming up to that thing.

husker

Post by husker » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:44 am

Looking at the manual, it doesn't look like you can make the lights do what you want...it will however send sysex for each of the 256 buttons though, so potential there I think.

The best feature is the alarm clock mode, where it shows a big bright clock, and plays one of your tunes for the alarm.

I think I want one...

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:47 am

Husker-
Do you know if the Tenori Receives SYSEX? or just outputs SYSEX?

husker

Post by husker » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:52 am

according to the Tenori-On manual (you can download it from the tenori-on site) it only sends sysex...there is a big X in the receive column :-(

And note-on messages aren't going to give you control of the 256 lights :-(

Bloody shame

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:00 am

Another great idea from yamaha designed by some monkey whos been living in a cave...

Grrrrr!
Nothing to see here - move along!

husker

Post by husker » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:04 am

It's bizarre...the button sysex looks just fine and sensible - all they need what a mode that turns that around and receives the same sysex for the lights? Arrggghhhh!

I still want one.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:07 am

Khazul wrote:Another great idea from some monkey designed by yamaha whos been living in a cave...

Grrrrr!
fixed!
spreader of butter

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:20 am

Im starting to really dig that thing. Somethings gotta be said about the fact that you could just have that thing on the toilet and start flailing away...Self contained-ness has its ups.
someones gotta be able to get in there though- with peeps like namihei and JJ out there. Those cats rewrote the entire MPC os. The more that emerge the more likely it will be that someone cracks it.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:05 am

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:with peeps like namihei and JJ out there. Those cats rewrote the entire MPC os. The more that emerge the more likely it will be that someone cracks it.
I think they had the original Akai OS to work from, or they were involved in it somehow, so it wasnt a case of them having to reverse engineer everything etc.
Nothing to see here - move along!

bonomius

Post by bonomius » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:27 am

Hi!
I had a tenori on (of a friend) in my studio for a while,
and tryed it with live.
I successfully used with drum racks and got some nice results.
Expecially because you have a visual feedback of the midi notes you input
and you can create variations in the random modes or playing
with transpose.
Btw it's just a FUN step sequencer, I think that a monome is more a controller that can be a sequencer.

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:59 pm

ditto mikeyboy with the self-contained deal. toilet, train, a crowded fuckin' elevator. the world is your blinking, Japanese oyster with the Tenori. Elektroplankton keeps me occupied in many a shitty situation.

dextroc

Post by dextroc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:04 pm

i only think the tenori-on is good as a toy for stoned musicians. it's way to limited as a closed system, which puts its price a lttle bit too high.

i'm just happily waiting for a monome 64 to be shipped to me. sounds much more promising, even it it has 4x less buttons.
Yup...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz, Ableton Live Suite 8, Max/MSP/Jitter, TC Konnekt 24d, Remote SL 25, Monome, joysticks, music boxes, harps, guitars, whatever...

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:12 pm

monome is dope too but aside from the looks, it's really different animal. it's a musical instrument. the monome can be used to control your garage door. i don't see them appealing to the same people, unless someone has a fetish for blinky squares.

i have a 40h but honestly it doesn't get a lot of use simply b/c i get bummed having to sit a desk, plug USB into a computer and get all nerdy to make it do anything. plus i'm too stupid and lazy to learn Max.

dextroc

Post by dextroc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:28 pm

well, i know how to use max, so i'm good. :wink:
it's just the limited usability of tenori-on that turns me away from it. it has some programs built in that do ok stuff, but nothing really impressive. the blinking lights make you go all "whoooaa" and then you probably forget yourself for hours doing the same stuff over and over. i do believe it's a lot of fun (that's why i consider it a toy), but as a musical instrument, i wouldn't use it for performing. you'd have a blast yourself, but the viewer would get bored of the "fascinating" blinky lights pretty soon.
Yup...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz, Ableton Live Suite 8, Max/MSP/Jitter, TC Konnekt 24d, Remote SL 25, Monome, joysticks, music boxes, harps, guitars, whatever...