monome people who know their stuff

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

monome people who know their stuff

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:10 pm

I haven't started working on getting monome to interface with live yet but before I even start I wanna ask some questions and I haven't gotten a quick enough response on the monome site.

first of all, I'm on a 128.

what I want to do is interface with live in a similar mlr style which I've seen a few people do on youtube using chuck. my question is if I'm using chuck will I be able to bounce between mlr style control and slide also, or do I not want to use chuck if I'm bouncing between the 2 interfaces?

I know you have to click that prefix button to bounce between apps so I guess my question is does chuck give me that prefix button in order to jump back and forth?

or do you have another suggestion besides using chuck and slide?

I'm on xp, monome 128 and live 7
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:19 pm

You should PM Mike @ Track Team. He PWNS the Monome.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:26 pm

chuck uses the prefix, that's a key part of the UDP protocol.

in chuck I guess you could write code that does something like - you hit the spacebar and it changes prefixes. I'm not sure how to do that, I've only picked apart a few chuck apps.

max in this regard IMO is a little easier to deal with, you see the prefix box in the GUI, it is what it is, how you see it.

just re-read, you don't have max.

search chuck code for lines of text like
/box/press
/box/LED

where /box is the prefix you set in monomeserial.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:25 am

awesome tone deft, now I'll go ahead with the tutorials on how to get chuck set up properly to do what I want and then I'll figure out how to get a max patch written so that I can hit my space bar to trigger the 2 different prefixes back and forth and I should be good to go from there.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:30 pm

This is a bit tricky as you probably wont be able to bind multiple times to the same port via UDP. Other than that Tone's suggestion is spot on.. I actually wrote a max patch to do this but realized that when you have two apps going on the same port, one will not respond. You can probably make something that will just reroute the OSC messages to each app. Kind of like a mediator between monomeserial and the monome apps. I could well be wrong but i really dont think monomeserial addresses multiple bindings yet...ask on the monome board they know a bit more than me...or perhaps someone has made an app to do this...

-!

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:44 pm

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:This is a bit tricky as you probably wont be able to bind multiple times to the same port via UDP. Other than that Tone's suggestion is spot on.. I actually wrote a max patch to do this but realized that when you have two apps going on the same port, one will not respond. You can probably make something that will just reroute the OSC messages to each app. Kind of like a mediator between monomeserial and the monome apps. I could well be wrong but i really dont think monomeserial addresses multiple bindings yet...ask on the monome board they know a bit more than me...or perhaps someone has made an app to do this...

-!
so far I haven't found a difinitive answer on the path I should be taking to get mlr style functionaility in live AND be able to jump to slide as well. so so far I haven't even tried to get this working. I'm sorta waiting for a "you want to use this and this, heres how to set it up"

reason being that I feel a little bit in over my head especially after trying to set up other scenario's I realised that without a good tutorial I don't get very far.

been on the monome site asking questions but I'm still waiting. it'll get worked out somehow I suppose.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:22 pm

When you say MLR functionality in Live, what exactly are you trying to do?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:32 pm

there's a learning curve, it's known to be steep. start with something simple. I dunno, I like one app that turns on a specific LED and another app that turns on a different LED.

patience pays off, I know it sucks, hang in there!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:16 am

Tone Deft wrote:there's a learning curve, it's known to be steep. start with something simple. I dunno, I like one app that turns on a specific LED and another app that turns on a different LED.

patience pays off, I know it sucks, hang in there!
oh I'm being patient. my first day with the monome was extremely frustrating but thats also cause I was kinda sick at the time and I'd been waiting almost a month go get it so I got real frustrated when it didn't get set up instantly for me to play with.

so far I've got mlr working fine and I've used slide in live so I know the basics of what I'm doing here, but until I see a good tutorial on how to get mlr style control over live I don't think I'm even going to attempt it just cause I know I'll get lost fast without directions.

mike: what I mean by mlr style operation is just the scrolling lights and being able to tap to different points of a loop. I've seen people do it with chuck on youtube and it somehow involves follow actions and what not but the chuck tutorial on monome.org is only helpful for mac kids and I'm on xp in my studio so it won't really help me get set up. This should all be solved shortly as someone is currently working on a youtube tutorial for people in my situation.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:33 am

slice up your loop into clips that are in follow mode

use the monome in regular old midi mode

assign the clips to the monome butons accordingly

turn on legato mode for the clips (select them all, then turn on legato mode.)

play.

the key is that after 6.2 (I think) Live started sending the midi note assigned to a clip, so you push a button, it fires a clip, then follow mode takes over and you get mlr style loop launching.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:17 am

Tone Deft wrote:slice up your loop into clips that are in follow mode

play.

the key is that after 6.2 (I think) Live started sending the midi note assigned to a clip, so you push a button, it fires a clip, then follow mode takes over and you get mlr style loop launching.

I tried this with mone and MIDI mode was lackong. It wouldn't send the of messages to the LEDs. I got the Chuck app working with my 128 using Folow actions and it works well. I think the only diff between the two is ASIO (PC) and IAC bus (Mac) routing.

THere are no sliders in the Chuck App I am using, but it works really well otherwise.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:18 am

Tone Deft wrote:slice up your loop into clips that are in follow mode

play.

you would think that that would work, and it sorta does, but getting the visual feedback is a task in itself and doesn't work the way you described. the problem is that I need to send midi to live using a midi loopback program (virtual midi port) and then out of live using a midi loopback program (virtual midi port) which effectively causes a midi feedback loop every time I try to do it. I can't figure out how to send midi from monoserial and back into monoserial from live without getting a midi feedback loop.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:50 am

JIF - out on channel 1, in on channel 2, or use separate ports.

I'd try it and all that but I've had a 102' fever for the last two days, I'm half out of my head.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:30 am

tried that man, seems like it should work but it always gets a midi feedback loop. seems strange to me really...

ahlstrominfo

Post by ahlstrominfo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:16 am

Johnisfaster wrote:I can't figure out how to send midi from monoserial and back into monoserial from live without getting a midi feedback loop.
When I wrote the MonoAbleMe, later MonoGrid, app i realized that too. So in those ChucK-apps I use two virtual midi-routes. Is that doable in monoserial?
My old signature was pretty stupid, so I changed it to this one.