monome opinions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JJarvis

monome opinions

Post by JJarvis » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:29 pm

I'm thinking about getting the monome tomorrow afternoon when they go on sale. How is sequencing within live? I know it comes with a few max patches, but I wonder how easy it is to set up as a regular midi controller within live. I want to use it to program drum beats in real time.
Logic Studio, Live 7, Max 5, Monome 64, and Desktop Evolver

Bong Sau

Post by Bong Sau » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:42 pm

It is very easy to set up the monome as a regular MIDI controller using the available base patches, plus there is a growing number of user contributed stuff that offer different ways of working with Live.

http://post.monome.org/comments.php?Dis ... e=1#Item_0

http://post.monome.org/comments.php?Dis ... e=1#Item_0

Also, stuff like Monochrome & Molar are available as VSTs so can be dropped directly onto a MIDI track, so no need for Max. Both of these work great for drums whether you wanna trigger your own individual samples or mangle loops.

Gravis

Post by Gravis » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:12 pm

When they release another batch of 256 button versions, i'm getting one.

Cannot wait!
iMac G5 2.16 | Echo AudioFire12 | Xone 92 | Live 8 + M4L | Trigger Finger | Monome 256 | Kenton Killamix Mini | Truth 3031A

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:22 pm

Bong Sau wrote:Also, stuff like Monochrome & Molar are available as VSTs so can be dropped directly onto a MIDI track, so no need for Max.
This is what I've really wanted to know. So can you do relatively a lot of stuff with just using native VST's or do you really need Max (or some other runtime) to make it for practical use?

Can I use it to program steps into Microtonic, impulse, or idrum with native VST's? Is it complicated to program it to do this?

Bong Sau

Post by Bong Sau » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:14 pm

This is what I've really wanted to know. So can you do relatively a lot of stuff with just using native VST's or do you really need Max (or some other runtime) to make it for practical use?
As far as i'm aware it is only Steve Duda that has released VST versions of monome specific aps, although I could be wrong. To run other popular patches like MLR, Flin, Flip etc you will need Max, but the runtime version is fine until you wanna start tweaking or creating your own patches.
Can I use it to program steps into Microtonic, impulse, or idrum with native VST's? Is it complicated to program it to do this?
I've only used Monochrome with Impulse but yes you can and no it is very simple to set it up.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a0h1daFfzq8

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kv69pVVt ... re=related

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:27 pm

This may or may not matter but I believe the buttons aren't velocity sensitive which could be important to you in drum playing and programming.

Lord Kahn

Post by Lord Kahn » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:33 pm

The program you need to run to get OSC messages from the monome can also input and output MIDI, so you can use MIDI learn in Live, and it'll also automatically light up when your clips are active.

JJarvis

Post by JJarvis » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:40 pm

beats me wrote:This may or may not matter but I believe the buttons aren't velocity sensitive which could be important to you in drum playing and programming.
I kind of figured that. I'm just into the idea of doing live step sequencing. I'll still play other instruments on the keyboard.
Logic Studio, Live 7, Max 5, Monome 64, and Desktop Evolver

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:57 pm

I'm tempted to get one tommorrow, but I fear I will spend more time geeking out, setting templates, etc, which will reduce the time I spend actually making music. I have enough distractions as it is! (Like downloading software updates, trying new plugins and so on...)

Like microtonic for example...maybe I could just program the patterns in with the mouse and all the parts would be done in half the time it would take just trying to configure this thing to work in that particular song.

Yes I know it's more for a live performance tool than to speed up production. So let's look at the live concept. Even then, check out the videos of people watching him play the monome in front of a sitting audience. The people look bored as hell! Programming step sequences part by part is too low level to visually keep anyone's attention, yet non-visually, music created by one person from a blank pallette tends to not be complex enough to set a mood for people who are listening as background music while having drinks, etc.

I don't know...some reason I'm totally on the fence about this one. I'm hoping someone convinces me it does some things the padKontrol can't do and it's easy enough to use that I don't end up going down an endless rabbit hole of max/msp geekiness. :lol:
Last edited by icedsushi on Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:00 pm

I've had people screaming while doing live step sequencing. It's all in the attitude, not in the box.

It just so happens that noone is approaching the monome products with the necessary punk-rock attitude. It's all pocket-protectors and horn-rimmed glasses

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:07 pm

Machinate wrote:It just so happens that noone is approaching the monome products with the necessary punk-rock attitude.
Yes you're right, I was thinking that too. I guess you gotta have the right kind of thing going on to pull it off.

I know people are saying it's easy. But really...how about the "rabbit hole"? You know...how it's possible you set there spending 16 hours making a max patch connecting virtual cables blah blah blah so that it makes a beep noise of a certain duration when you push the monome button. :lol: (reinventing the padKontrol-wheel) or am I just thinking too much

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:25 pm

Machinate wrote:I've had people screaming while doing live step sequencing.
Hmm..something disturbing about this

Re:Monome
I think if you're not sure about it, it's probably not for you...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
spreader of butter

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:34 pm

I was totally set on getting a monome this release.....until I got tanked with the CEO of jazzmutant 2 nights in a row at NAMM and now it's all about saving for a lemur, not that he tried to sell me on one but there is something to be said about face time.

It's like a monome on steroids plus a ton of other stuff you can do. Sure it's 6 times more than the 64 monome but if you are going to shell out for a 256 monome I would just save a little longer and get a lemur (unless you already have one)

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:40 pm

but the monome has it's own little niche with those tactile buttons. Certain live performance based activities would be way more accurate & enjoyable with a monome. Plus, the 64 is bus powered.

for some types of performing, I wouldn't get a lemur instead of a monome.
spreader of butter

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:43 pm

of course, REAL motherfuckin Gz would rock both...like Machinate. He's the max/msp community's 50 Cent.
spreader of butter