oh jesus, I just bought the monome 128!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:55 am

Tone Deft wrote:the flip side to that is that you have to use max/msp runtime, or chuck or other free interfaces to run code,.
monochrome vst runs inside of live though, which is alot more interesting to me than running a standalone max program cause I can route midi from monochrom to racks all sorts with goodies going on (randomizer, the new round robin function, chain selector and macro's)

then with my kaoss pad set up to select racks (bomes trickery) and control macro's I should be having one hell of a good time.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

glu

Post by glu » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:36 am

Tone Deft wrote:I tried...

I'd love for you to have one just for the apps you'd make. see, it's all about ME. :D
:lol:
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:49 am

i ordered one, but still worry it's gonna take too much work to get it to do what i'd like (i don't want to deal with max, but some of the cooler apps seem to need it).

LiveUserX

Post by LiveUserX » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:37 am

Wow, this monome thing is pretty cool. My initial reaction was, "what the hell do I need with something like that, I've got midi controllers?"

However, after reading a little more about it and seeing it used, I may be changing my mind.

Not to mention, I'm tired of being the last to get hip to new and exciting music technology. I've been a bit of a stubborn old-school musician (guitar player).

Computers, bah, who the hell needs them fo music!?! LOL... I am coming around though. Today's technology is truly amazing.
WinXP Home
P4HT 2.4GHz/3GB Ram
Live 6.0.10, Komplete 4 + Kore 1 (production)
Live 7.0.1, Komplete 5 + Kore 2 (testing)
Mackie Control Universal
Novation ReMote SL Compact 25

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:20 am

LiveUserX wrote:Wow, this monome thing is pretty cool. My initial reaction was, "what the hell do I need with something like that, I've got midi controllers?"

However, after reading a little more about it and seeing it used, I may be changing my mind.

Not to mention, I'm tired of being the last to get hip to new and exciting music technology. I've been a bit of a stubborn old-school musician (guitar player).

Computers, bah, who the hell needs them fo music!?! LOL... I am coming around though. Today's technology is truly amazing.
so you're coming around just in time for them to be sold out :)

they got another batch of them coming soon though, don't remember what model is next as I only wanted the 128.

old school musician... the reason i wanted the monome is cause it's so much like a real instrument.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

ava

Post by ava » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:41 am

Thought you might like to have a look at yamaha's crazy Tenori-On, could be interesting... Full midi

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop ... t_id/33621

Bong Sau

Post by Bong Sau » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:52 pm

theres a video of molar on youtube where he has to copy file extensions, anyone know if you to do that crap or can you just load files?
You have to add a file extension for each row of your monome initially, this process is a little bit easier in OSX as you can just drag and drop the actual .wav into the config file. You can then use a 'function' button to step through additional loops/hits/samples in whichever folder the original file is in. This is very useful for grouping together your breaks, pads, keys or whatever and being able to scroll through without using your mouse. The lowest row of pads on the monome all have additional functions available (such as copy&paste, collapse, shuffle, swing, meta sequence etc) which can also be edited or moved using the config file. This will all make more sense if you follow the link....

http://post.monome.org/comments.php?Dis ... e=1#Item_0

I loved Monochrome but Molar has been even more of a revelation, it's just so much fun and has a surprising amount of functionality. Steve Duda has just made a new version available which has squashed some bugs and also improved stability when using multiple instances.

Enjoy....

onehandstand

Post by onehandstand » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:48 pm

i am starting to have a little monome-fever :o

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:02 pm

Bong Sau wrote:
theres a video of molar on youtube where he has to copy file extensions, anyone know if you to do that crap or can you just load files?
You have to add a file extension for each row of your monome initially, this process is a little bit easier in OSX as you can just drag and drop the actual .wav into the config file. You can then use a 'function' button to step through additional loops/hits/samples in whichever folder the original file is in. This is very useful for grouping together your breaks, pads, keys or whatever and being able to scroll through without using your mouse. The lowest row of pads on the monome all have additional functions available (such as copy&paste, collapse, shuffle, swing, meta sequence etc) which can also be edited or moved using the config file. This will all make more sense if you follow the link....

I loved Monochrome but Molar has been even more of a revelation, it's just so much fun and has a surprising amount of functionality. Steve Duda has just made a new version available which has squashed some bugs and also improved stability when using multiple instances.

Enjoy....
so say you have some sounds that you want to use in molar and you decide you really like them as a song, does that mean everytime you want to play that song you have to put the file extensions into it or can you save things as "songs" and recall them?

do you have to do the same file extension thing with all the other apps monome people write or is that specific to molar?

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:05 pm

ava wrote:Thought you might like to have a look at yamaha's crazy Tenori-On, could be interesting... Full midi

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop ... t_id/33621

The Tenori is cool, but it isn't open-source, so it will be unchangable functionally. There are already people writing patches to make the monome act like a Tenori (although I think all the extra light data is too much.)
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:07 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
Bong Sau wrote:

Enjoy....
so say you have some sounds that you want to use in molar and you decide you really like them as a song, does that mean everytime you want to play that song you have to put the file extensions into it or can you save things as "songs" and recall them?

do you have to do the same file extension thing with all the other apps monome people write or is that specific to molar?
I'm fairly certain that the extention thing is so the app will work with the different sized Monomes.

Looking at it, it all seems very confusing.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Bong Sau

Post by Bong Sau » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:26 am

There's no save as yet. I've just been saving a copy of the config file, having edited it, into the same location as the .als file for each project. It only takes a second to drop the specific version of the config into the VST folder before getting started.
The config files are specific to Molar and Monochrome, with the file extensions being used in Molar only.
I'm fairly certain that the extention thing is so the app will work with the different sized Monomes.
Yeah there are 16 editable functions for the 40h and 256/128 within the config but you obviously have access to all of them at once with the 128 or 256.

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:36 am

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:Yeah Monochrome is nuts. Its by the same fella who made Lucifer VST. He's also working on a new Plug called Molar - kind of an MLR in VST Clothing type of sorts...
Also, MLR 3 is right around the corner...

Mike you don't need a Monome.. you've got a hacked native mode padkontrol :twisted:
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

john gordon

Re: oh jesus, I just bought the monome 128!!!!

Post by john gordon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:12 am

now your selling it,oh jesus!!!!!