TimewARP 2600 is killing my ears :(

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sunrahrahrah

TimewARP 2600 is killing my ears :(

Post by sunrahrahrah » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:49 am

This software has a huge problem....sometimes when I get into patching around cables and making crazy noises like the ee ee rrr rrr vrraa vraaa sfffffffffftttttt you know really nice and then BRRRRAP

the thing explodes like a trillion times louder than what I was working on and then fizzles to a stop ..making me deaf and needing to click out of the patch and reload to get it working again.

At first I was like okay, whatever. But it happened today and it REALLY HURT :(

I think I'm going to go deaf :(

Has anyone else experienced this? What might save my ears in the future?? Its tough because I use headphones at night, and dont even run the volume that loud...but when it glitches its HORRIBLE. I think I'm actually getting afraid to patch the synth.

Disclaimer >> this doesn't happen all the time....its semi rare I think. But when it happens it SUCKS...
Last edited by sunrahrahrah on Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nogi

Post by Nogi » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:58 am

Slap a limiter on your master track.

blank

Post by blank » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:42 pm

Stop using it and contact their support.
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

Patch

Post by Patch » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:08 pm

DEFINITELY stop using it. Don't do any damage to your ears. Pain in your ears is a bad, BAD thing.

roby

Post by roby » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:25 pm

or sue them :wink:

RandomBeat

Post by RandomBeat » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:37 pm

what recomendations do you gents suggest for a limiter?

ive been using the waves l2/l3 's, aswell as the nomad bluetubes eq's with limiters, but always open for new suggestions.....

:D
every other monday --LiveCast @ ibreaks.co.uk-- 5-7pm EST

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:37 pm

learn to patch properly.

sunrahrahrah

Post by sunrahrahrah » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:40 pm

friend_kami wrote:learn to patch properly.
it has nothing to do with what Im patching....the synth explodes and stops working...that shouldnt happen with any patch. Thanks for your help though.

Beatport

Post by Beatport » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:07 pm

I would get a real ARP 2600 dude. i mean, c'mon.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:13 am

sunrahrahrah wrote:
friend_kami wrote:learn to patch properly.
it has nothing to do with what Im patching....the synth explodes and stops working...that shouldnt happen with any patch.
Sounds like you haven't worked much with software modulars, eh? Both maxMSP, Reaktor, Generator(that's pre-Reaktor for you young'uns) and others can, at times, run amok - even regular delay-lines in vst form do this. Part of the dogdiness of software modulars is in the problems of digital domain audio - it's simply not feasible to do limiting on every stage in there.

HOWEVER! There is still no such thing as "improper patching" on a modular, really... that's why they're modular, after all.
Hope this doesn't come off as snide in any way, I'm merely stating that it does happen with careless feedback loops and overly enthusiastic levels.

sunrahrahrah

Post by sunrahrahrah » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:38 am

Beatport wrote:I would get a real ARP 2600 dude. i mean, c'mon.
t t t totally

sunrahrahrah

Post by sunrahrahrah » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:49 am

Machinate wrote:Sounds like you haven't worked much with software modulars, eh? Both maxMSP, Reaktor, Generator(that's pre-Reaktor for you young'uns) and others can, at times, run amok - even regular delay-lines in vst form do this. Part of the dogdiness of software modulars is in the problems of digital domain audio - it's simply not feasible to do limiting on every stage in there.

HOWEVER! There is still no such thing as "improper patching" on a modular, really... that's why they're modular, after all.
Hope this doesn't come off as snide in any way, I'm merely stating that it does happen with careless feedback loops and overly enthusiastic levels.
You're right, I definitely haven't. This software was the first time I really got deep into it. So with some time between this and my original post I will say that the random exploding happens way way less to me. I think that what I was doing back then must of had something to do with not fully knowing the function of each part of the synth. But that still doesn't explain why it would explode like that....yeah I guess some type of runaway feedback? It still happens to me every so often, and now its really a downer because I know exactly what I'm doing and why.

Another dodgy thing about this software is that there is a master volume switch at the bottom. Its weird because it saves in the patch, but when you open the saved patch, the slider is saved visually where you left it, but the synth responds as though it is maxed out. A big downer if you are trying to normalize your patches so that you dont get a loud one randomly and blow up your ears (like you will in the patches that come with the synth). But I realized you can just leave it maxed always, and treat the mixer section as the final volume control (as you would in the real one im assuming). Apparently they are at work at improving compatibility with live, as this doesn't happen in say Logic, for example.

So having said all this, its still pretty cool, and most to its credit, was an easy and cost effective way to school myself on modular synthesis. Of course now I'm hooked and want complex routings in everything I use (Operator, ahem).
Last edited by sunrahrahrah on Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunrahrahrah

Post by sunrahrahrah » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:59 am

sunrahrahrah wrote: So having said all this, its still pretty cool, and most to its credit, was an easy and cost effective way to school myself on modular synthesis. Of course now I'm hooked and want complex routings in everything I use (Operator I'm looking at you).

And to this end, Sampler is pretty much amazing, very cool! I was able to sample some raw waves from an analog modular, and I'm running them in sampler, using racks to emulate multiple oscillators. Its quite abit of fun. Especially since its different samplers, so each oscillator gets its own 3LFO combo. Like someone else mentioned elsewhere, I just wish the filter was better (or at least different - include a few types to choose from).