Korg Zero 8 Or A&H Xone:3d ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sam82

Korg Zero 8 Or A&H Xone:3d ?

Post by Sam82 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:17 pm

Which Midi Mixer is the best 2 use with ableton live DJing and Remixing, i think The Korg Zero 8 and the Xone:3d is the best on the market now can anyone recommed me which one is better ?

I heard that Sasha's Maven Controller going into Mass Production next year! dose anyone know if its going 2 be the best ?

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:26 pm

I personally wouldn't want to use a midi controller endorsed by Sasha. That whole thing seems kinda silly. Basically, whenever, or if, the Maven ever comes out, I'll bet that you will be paying a few hundred dolars extra just because Sasha's name is on it.

You should ask yourself, do you really need a dedicated mixer for what you are doing? Are you really incorporating hardware in your setup that a regular soundcard with midi can't take care of? Do you really need those 8 channels?

I have seen countless shows where big name producers use a simple Evolution UC 33e and have blown crowds away. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar the UC 33e seems to be the most effective match while playing out with Live.

Also, Korg has to update the firmware on thier Zero series mixers as there is a horrible noise to those mixers. They are aware of the problem, hopefully they address it. The Allen & Heath Xone 3D goes for the cost of a decent used car. Unless you are playing out (and getting money in return) or have a trust fund it would seem like a silly buy. Of course, there are people that claim this type of gear inspires them to create music...

Euklid.fox

Post by Euklid.fox » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:49 pm

May help you cause I hesitated between the two too,
and finally
I just bought the Korg Zero 8 cause I play live till 6 years with midi controllers and I was really fed up with latency and wanted an easy solution to export 8 channels from my computer.
I didnt noticed yet abusing noise, but I only tried it one day and low volume, and it's actually far from me but I will let you know my review if you want. at fisrt though it's as as I imaginated:

:lol: good thingz: you can choose per channel if it's audio (wow AT LAST ZERO latency , and at last you have Vu metre per channel) or midi, or both (you keep the EQ and fader in audio + 4 pots midi per chan + 8 push/encoder, what I actually use) a cue bus to monitor the channel you want before going to master and AB crossfader (like live with much better curves).
audio seems descent according to me (also I didn't try an Icon, but I had a mackie 16), there lot's of eq variations adapted for your mix with Ie LP and HP with austable freq, and what is excellent is the touchscreen that can send midi ccS, and the ability to route any audio in (guitar mic, firewire, ect)
audio routing is easy and you can switch on the fly (don't have to plug so many cables)

:x the bad news are: according to me integrated fx are a bit cheap and there is no descent mastering section (only cheap numeric limiter or one band comp)

so for me this unit is great, but's it certainely will need an exta hardware limiter/ multiband comp to be sure to have the big sound without cliping your sono, or be a great mixer and never be up ZERO db.(but that's the same for the allen or any audio mixer i think...)

dreamstar

Post by dreamstar » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:28 am

I've owned an Allen & Heath Xone 3d for about 1 year, using it with both Traktor 3 and Live 6. After having owned a Xone 32 and then a Xone 62, I was very excited to upgrade to this innovative new hybrid (I exchanged 2 cdj-800's, a Xone 62, an M-Audio Firewire 410 and an Evolution UC-33e for this mixer). The superb sound quality A & H is known for, a built-in USB soundcard and pretty sweet MIDI controller all in one? It had an expensive price tag, but I bit the bullet and bought one. I severely regret this decision. I have had nothing but problems with the Xone 3d from the day I got it until now (recently with the OS X Leopard upgrade). It has horrible MIDI problems (latency, unwanted MIDI messages), and is difficult to get setup correctly (I spent the first few months I used this device just getting it configured).
I have heard many other horror stories from users; many more bad than good. It seems to me that when I roll in with a $3000 mixer and a Macbook Pro, there should be very few technical problems. This mixer has crashed (MIDI section locks up) on me multiple times in many shows, and is frankly the most unreliable piece of equipment I've ever owned.

I would highly suggest investing your money elsewhere.
"We don't have to look far for miracles because they're all around us. Everything is astonishing. The universe on it's surface is alive with mystery." - Terence McKenna

Gear list: Powerbook G4, Xone 3D, CDJ-800, Edirol PCR-m50

D K

Post by D K » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:39 am

Euklid.fox wrote: :lol: good thingz: you can choose per channel if it's audio (wow AT LAST ZERO latency , and at last you have Vu metre per channel) or midi, or both
huh? can you elaborate? i think you are mistaken...when the unit is hooked up to your system, open preferences in live to audio and check the output latency.
please post your results, include the input latency, please...
i'm curious as to how well these work...i've been interested for a long time...
thanks!

Euklid.fox

Post by Euklid.fox » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:07 pm

DK:

of course you have a latency in midi mode (ie my settings are from 64 - 1024 samples)
depending from the complexity of the live, but if you route your tracks in AUDIO to the mixer ie 8 channel become real audio, when you cut a track its like a real mixer, it cuts instantanly, no matter your latency setting is.

Jonny Thrice

Post by Jonny Thrice » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:54 pm

dont forget the new EVO5 from ECLER. It has 12 FireWire channels, and can handle up to 4416 MIDI commands. Custmoziable layouts and FX....its a pretty awesome machine!

www.evobyecler.com

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:58 pm

Jonny Thrice wrote:dont forget the new EVO5 from ECLER. It has 12 FireWire channels, and can handle up to 4416 MIDI commands. Custmoziable layouts and FX....its a pretty awesome machine!

www.evobyecler.com
+1 This thing is an Xone 3d killer. It can be had for the same price as a Korg Zero 8 too. While it's still a lot of cash, this mixer appears to be the real deal.