Reggae

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evon

Reggae

Post by evon » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:37 pm

Anyone on this forum use Live to produce Reggae/Dance Hall? Lets have a feedback.
fe real!

minimal

Post by minimal » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:49 pm

i am triyng to with very modest result for the moment...
i wanted to say you big up for the tunes on your myspace!
give thanks and praises!

the ar

Post by the ar » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:52 pm

No, but I dig your tunes.
Nice tracks, keep it up. :)

evon

Post by evon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:33 pm

Thanks guys..Live 7 is better for Reggae. I am currently experimenting with the dithering options, bit depth and rendering. I will publish some fresher tunes, vocals and all later on.
fe real!

evon

Post by evon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:36 pm

minimal wrote:i am triyng to with very modest result for the moment...
i wanted to say you big up for the tunes on your myspace!
give thanks and praises!
BTW you sholud let me hear some of your material..that is if you realy want some positive feedback. I would also like to know what features you like most in Reggae music. What are your goals, objectives and methods with which you intend to use in perfecting this art.
fe real!

evon

Post by evon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:44 pm

the ar wrote:No, but I dig your tunes.
ar I realy apreciate your kudos...seems like you've been around ..checked your profile and came up blank. The secretive type. Reminds me abot an old saying:Silent River Runs Deep. Because I beleive in myself so much..I expect great and influential people to listen my sounds...well at least eventually.
fe real!

cabletone

Post by cabletone » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:33 pm

hey evon just wanted to let u know i like your music. all of it but my fav is dont bother me. i really like the mix on that one as well as the music. it's cool to see reggae being made w/ live, i know alot of cats use reason especially for dancehall but live i did not know..

respect!

evon

Post by evon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:23 pm

evon wrote:
the ar wrote:No, but I dig your tunes.
ar I realy apreciate your kudos...seems like you've been around ..checked your profile and came up blank. The secretive type. Reminds me about an old saying:Silent River Runs Deep. Because I beleive in myself so much..I expect great and influential people to listen my sounds...well at least eventually.
fe real!

evon

Post by evon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:31 pm

cabletone wrote:hey evon just wanted to let u know i like your music. all of it but my fav is dont bother me. i really like the mix on that one as well as the music. it's cool to see reggae being made w/ live, i know alot of cats use reason especially for dancehall but live i did not know..

respect!
Yes but I use Reason for bass and organ mostly and also some Reaktor synths. Anyway I am experimenting with various mastering sequences and programs including using Live exclusively with Goldwave as sample editor from within Live. I have Sound Forge but I prefer to work with Goldwave at present.
fe real!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:39 pm

I mostly use Live to mess around with instruments, layer stuff and OFTEN I fall into a reggae groove, I really like playing it on guitar, finding inverted chord shapes to hit on the upstroke and doing the same on keys. with keys it's a way to help me kinda sorta learn to play.

I'm learning bass guitar in a reggae style, at least where the pocket can be and feeling out some simple lines.

drums is one thing I still have no clue about in reggae.

a pic that really motivated me was the picture of Bob on the Songs Of Freedom album cover. notice how his D string is missing?
there's a tab book out there for Songs Of Freedom and Bob used a lot of simple 3 string inversions for his chords (some songs are just 1 chord and all groove, Get Up Stand Up) and bass on the low E and A strings.

for instruments I mostly gravitate towards real sounds, Electric, the new plug-in is a godsend for that.

I love reggae though, too bad Bob's not with us anymore. :(

evon - nice tunes!!! I've found reggae vocals over at www.versionist.com
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

evon

Post by evon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:19 pm

a pic that really motivated me was the picture of Bob on the Songs Of Freedom album cover. notice how his D string is missing?
Yes Tonedeft, I never noticed that. I will have to do some research here re that missing string. I wonder..what could have happened! Is it symbolic? who knows..Bob being such a mystic individual. I actually knew Bob personally and funnily he was not my main motivator. The main motivator in the mid to late sixties was a group called the Heptones led by Leroy Sibbles also Alton Ellis, Delroy Wilson, Ken Booth to name a few. Those were the mainstream hardcore dancehall artistes and of course Bob.
Well the drums...I think you would have to live the culture for a while like any other genre.

I realy use FL Studio to create drum samples for my clips except for the drum rolls. The Reason Drum Presets I find are no.1 for reggae but prefer the FLS Interface and workflow, but Reason4 might be better.

If you read my blog you would notice that I grew up on the Hrad Core Jamaican music. Incidentally if you found the blogs interesting, then look out for part II, when at a tender age I started to "thief out" from home to attend the dances.
fe real!

alin55

Post by alin55 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:04 pm

Hi evon - we already met................... :wink:

http://www.myspace.com/lionofjoppasoundsystem

been making reggae/dub with Live since Live 5.

a lot of the real dub enthusiasts hang out here

enjoyed your blog a lot - you seem to have been right at the heart of my favourite period for reggae - Duke Reid's Treasure Isle label was my favourite along with the Uk Trojan in the late 60's - early 70's.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Oh and this guy makes great tunes on Live

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:18 pm

Very cool music, Evon and alin55! 8)
MacBook Pro, iMac i5, Fireface 800, Fireface 400

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:41 pm

evon wrote:BTW you sholud let me hear some of your material..that is if you realy want some positive feedback.
i dont really write much reggae but love it none the less.

i wrote a reggae inspired track a while back... on me myspace...it's a glitchy twisted kinda number but you might still be into it... called it lunadub
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

evon

Post by evon » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:19 pm

called it lunadub
Strange coincidence cause there lived a lady a very special lady to me and her name was Luna Brown. I understand that luna is spanish for moon.

Anyway it is interesting to hear reggae expressing different cultures from the one in which it originated. I listen very keenly to them:Australian, Swiss, Japanese reggae, to name a few, and try to transelate from the known to the unknown and it is quite interesting. The notes, nuances, chord selection, effects the works, painting a picture of each individuals cultural experience.
fe real!