ABES, CAN WE GET THIS FORUM BACK IN CHECK?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tjwett

ABES, CAN WE GET THIS FORUM BACK IN CHECK?

Post by tjwett » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:20 pm

We've asked nicely a million times on the forum for moderator, or at least some kind of forum registration process. This is getting RETARDED. Not only is it killing it for us who have been here since day one, but it also can't look good for new visitors, especially right around the release of your new product. Obviously asking on here does nothing so will everyone who wants this to happen please send the Abes an email requesting it? And post here after you have done so. This forum is lost at sea.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:58 am

Hello Tjwett,

I've not seen much of your good self round here lately. Just in case you havn't been on in a while, the forum's generally been pretty good IMO up until today. I agree with you about the moderation, it's going to get silly now Live is getting more popular.

I think that for the most part, it's mainly kids and we shouldn't rise to the bait, if no-one answers these posts they go down the list remarkably quickly.

good to see you around, where've you been?

M

tjwett not logged in

Post by tjwett not logged in » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:18 am

hey Martyn, been real busy lately. unfortunately not with Live. just got my hands on Live 4 though so that should keep me out of the sunlight for a while. i've been lurking around the forum a lot but not posting. aside from the all the nonsense i've also been wrapped up with moving from Mac to Windows, which hasn't been the smoothest transition in the world. hope things turn around on this forum. it's really a drag. you're probably right though, just a bunch of teenagers who don't know what to do with thier boners besides wack em on a keyboard.

snapshot

Got my vote!

Post by snapshot » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:37 am

I sure would like to see a forum like props has, and others so those of us that love live could live in peace around here; it's like tripping around a bunch of drunks in the streets somedays!
If you have a serial # then you a reason to ask or post with others something of interest or share a neat trick.
Maybe we should start a poll that would like to have a more limited forum?

futureproof

Post by futureproof » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:11 am

tjwett not logged in wrote: i've also been wrapped up with moving from Mac to Windows, which hasn't been the smoothest transition in the world.
TJ, did the same thing about 6 months ago and ran into some semi serious woes also but now things are fine. My troubles were mostly virus related as I wasnt wearing condoms (AV, firewall) Just curious what problems youve been having.

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:24 am

futureproof wrote: TJ, did the same thing about 6 months ago and ran into some semi serious woes also but now things are fine. My troubles were mostly virus related as I wasnt wearing condoms (AV, firewall) Just curious what problems youve been having.
well i should start by saying that this wasn't totally by choice. i dropped my PowerBook, yeah i know. so i had this 2ghz HP system that i use to run BeOS so i kind of HAD to turn it into a Windows box. this being my first Windows experience ever i hit the usual bumps in the road; GUI, filesystem, pop-ups. and i don't mean internet popups, THE FUCKING OS HAS POPUPS!?! after coming to terms with all that stuff now i'm having the pleasure of moving 100GB of data to be Windows-compatible. i've spent the past 4 years keeping all my important info in Rich Text Docs, none of which have been successfully read by XP. also got 8O with the horribly shitty web browsing experience of Internet Explorer. thank god for Firefox. i tried some Norton and other spy/virus utilities but i didn't like the lack of control so i'm going prom night now. no digital STDs yet. overall it's not THAT bad. just the whole thing, from logging on to shutting down, feels slapped together. i don't trust it one bit. i've got the OS on one small HD and everything else including data and apps-excuse me, Programs- on another drive. from what my peers tell me reinstalling the OS is a monthly ritual. i miss the integration between all Apple's productivity apps right out of the box. i miss not thinking about viruses and the like. but i definitely like the speed and the price; i got this machine for $50. i like Macs and still make my career out of fixing them but at the end of the day i miss BeOS on my desk more than anything. fuck Bill Gates. :D

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:29 am

Hey Tjwett - I'm not sure if it's just cause you've answered me mac questions but I seem to think of you as the archetypal Mac man round here - what happened!

actually, all the stupid mac vs pc corporate hype aside it's good for anyone using computers in a professional context to have best of both worlds - a mechanic wouldn't only learn how to drive or fix a Ford would he?

I agree with what Martyn said, if you don't bite the threads disappear pretty quickly it's annoying, but these kids do give up if they don't get the attention they're obviously missing from their mums! :wink:

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:41 am

tjwett wrote:
futureproof wrote: TJ, did the same thing about 6 months ago and ran into some semi serious woes also but now things are fine. My troubles were mostly virus related as I wasnt wearing condoms (AV, firewall) Just curious what problems youve been having.
well i should start by saying that this wasn't totally by choice. i dropped my PowerBook, yeah i know. so i had this 2ghz HP system that i use to run BeOS so i kind of HAD to turn it into a Windows box. this being my first Windows experience ever i hit the usual bumps in the road; GUI, filesystem, pop-ups. and i don't mean internet popups, THE FUCKING OS HAS POPUPS!?! after coming to terms with all that stuff now i'm having the pleasure of moving 100GB of data to be Windows-compatible. i've spent the past 4 years keeping all my important info in Rich Text Docs, none of which have been successfully read by XP. also got 8O with the horribly shitty web browsing experience of Internet Explorer. thank god for Firefox. i tried some Norton and other spy/virus utilities but i didn't like the lack of control so i'm going prom night now. no digital STDs yet. overall it's not THAT bad. just the whole thing, from logging on to shutting down, feels slapped together. i don't trust it one bit. i've got the OS on one small HD and everything else including data and apps-excuse me, Programs- on another drive. from what my peers tell me reinstalling the OS is a monthly ritual. i miss the integration between all Apple's productivity apps right out of the box. i miss not thinking about viruses and the like. but i definitely like the speed and the price; i got this machine for $50. i like Macs and still make my career out of fixing them but at the end of the day i miss BeOS on my desk more than anything. fuck Bill Gates. :D
don't worry, you'll get a grip on it - I don't agree about the monthly re-install, my laptop's a year old and still solid as a rock and I don't think I've ever re-installed - even when I stuck in my 7200rpm drive I just ghosted it with Norton ghost and it's been fine.

If you're using XP home (which needs authorising etc) then you should be fine, if you're using XP pro (which can be...ahem..copied) then I find it less stable - I had it on my desktop and in the end just tried sticking on my laptops OEM home edition and luckily it authorised because now it's fine. I remember hearing something about them putting alot more attention into home edition (alot more customers) and the PRO copy doesn't seem to do windows update properly so you need to get the service packs elsewhere, but really, after many years of microsoft woes I would only use XP home, and accordingly I have almost no problems I can blame on the OS.

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:47 am

forge wrote:Hey Tjwett - I'm not sure if it's just cause you've answered me mac questions but I seem to think of you as the archetypal Mac man round here - what happened!

actually, all the stupid mac vs pc corporate hype aside it's good for anyone using computers in a professional context to have best of both worlds - a mechanic wouldn't only learn how to drive or fix a Ford would he?

I agree with what Martyn said, if you don't bite the threads disappear pretty quickly it's annoying, but these kids do give up if they don't get the attention they're obviously missing from their mums! :wink:
i know man, fucking butter fingers. nothing like dropping an $1800 computer to ruin your day. worst part is, when it fell to the floor i was in the middle of taking pictures for it to go up on ebay. WAS gonna put the money towards a new G5. eh, life goes on and all that. the upside is that i'm actually looking forward to going to work now so i can tinker with people's Macs.

i've been pretty good about ignoring the posts but it's starting to turn into ignoring the entire forum. they'll disappear in september when school is back in session. until then, remember kids....i know it's exciting that your private parts are starting to grow hair and all that. just stop typing with your penis, it makes you sound like a dick.

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:52 am

forge wrote: don't worry, you'll get a grip on it - I don't agree about the monthly re-install, my laptop's a year old and still solid as a rock and I don't think I've ever re-installed - even when I stuck in my 7200rpm drive I just ghosted it with Norton ghost and it's been fine.

If you're using XP home (which needs authorising etc) then you should be fine, if you're using XP pro (which can be...ahem..copied) then I find it less stable - I had it on my desktop and in the end just tried sticking on my laptops OEM home edition and luckily it authorised because now it's fine. I remember hearing something about them putting alot more attention into home edition (alot more customers) and the PRO copy doesn't seem to do windows update properly so you need to get the service packs elsewhere, but really, after many years of microsoft woes I would only use XP home, and accordingly I have almost no problems I can blame on the OS.
good to know. i'm using XP Home right now. ugh, i had my first taste of Authorization Soup when i installed Office last week. i wound up on the phone to India listening to some lady recite a 56 digit unlock code in some alien tongue. two thumbs up for Microsoft customer support. :roll:

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:02 am

tjwett wrote:
forge wrote: don't worry, you'll get a grip on it - I don't agree about the monthly re-install, my laptop's a year old and still solid as a rock and I don't think I've ever re-installed - even when I stuck in my 7200rpm drive I just ghosted it with Norton ghost and it's been fine.

good to know. i'm using XP Home right now. ugh, i had my first taste of Authorization Soup when i installed Office last week. i wound up on the phone to India listening to some lady recite a 56 digit unlock code in some alien tongue. two thumbs up for Microsoft customer support. :roll:
god I know that one! half the call centre's in the UK have now moved to India and it is the sheer essence of corporate mentality - screw the customers to save money. It now makes it practically impossible to get anything done becuase of the language/dialect barriers - you just end up giving up because whatever you want to discuss is that bit too far beyond the limits of communication.

was your PB not insured?

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:16 am

forge wrote: ...was your PB not insured?
well i've always kind of not bothered with Apple Care, especially after getting my certifications. but Apple Care wouldn't even have helped with this one since it was my own doing. this is just one of those fun little things in life where you can do nothing but stare at the floor and swear. in the future i'll probably go with something like http://www.safeware.com for real laptop insurance.

here's a tip for anyone new to buying a Mac; the sales person will be up your ass about getting Apple Care so just know these facts:

Apple Care is NOT insurance. it only covers factory defects. if you decide to take a bath with your iBook and it explodes then you are shit out of luck. also, all new Macs come with a one year warranty. Apple Care is simply a two year extension of that. you can decide to add Apple Care to your machine any time within that first year. 99% of the time if something is going to fail from the factory it will happen in the first month of use. it's unusual for electronics to suddenly die after an entire year. just somethings to keep in mind for new Mac shoppers.

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:16 am

THE FUCKING OS HAS POPUPS!?!
Disabled Windows Messenger service. Control Panel - Admin Tools -
Services.
Rich Text Docs, none of which have been successfully read by XP.
Not sure how that's done but it must be doable... had a publicist working
on a website with me once, she was on mac... she'd tell me "that text
needs to be bold", I'd say "which text, I'm not going to have you dictate
the whole site over the phone, send me a formatted text file" Never did
get that file and never did complete the site.
with the horribly shitty web browsing experience of Internet Explorer.
Checkout options and customise it to what you want.
i tried some Norton and other spy/virus utilities but i didn't like the lack of
control so i'm going prom night now. no digital STDs yet.
Download mailwasher.net to clean your email before you download it... If
you're behind a router or firewall you shouldn't need any AV as long as
you keep your email clean and leave the "don't allow potentially bad
attachments to open" option on in outlook security options.

just the whole thing, from logging on to shutting down, feels slapped together.
Ever seen Unix? One of the most stable operating systems around and
consists of a crapload of slapped together text files and code. The thing
that's different with Mac is they hide all the details from you, so you just
assume computers are simple. Problem happens when you wanna do
something new and different that apple hasn't already thought about for
you.
i've got the OS on one small HD and everything else including data and
apps-excuse me, Programs- on another drive.
Make sure you have room to breath on both, and unless they are
separate physical drives there is little point in partitioning.
from what my peers tell me reinstalling the OS is a monthly ritual.
Total BS.... Maybe if you download "Great-free-poker-game.exe".
Just don't install ever piece of crap out there and your box will never
need a reboot let alone a reinstall.
i miss not thinking about viruses and the like.
Don't open virus emails, and don't expose your network to the internet
and you'll be fine.... I've never had a PC virus.... never.... ever....
i miss BeOS on my desk more than anything.
I bet, is that still as mind blowing as it was when it first came out? They
were getting huge results outta 2x 60Mhz CPUs.

Sure macs are great for 1 or 2 programs but I for one aren't about to
spend all that on some old CPU just to run a program that works great in
windows. Hope you get back to your old setup soon.... in the mean-time
just take some simple steps to protect your computer and don't go
installing crap and it'll be fine. oh also... run
windowsupdate.microsoft.com....

-Ben

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:19 am

Tjwett,

good to have you back, shame about your mac, I'm a firm beiever that people are better off using what their used to. Once you get XP steamlined, it's a very workable OS. I think you've had some advice from "people who know not what they speak about" My experience with XP has been smooth from the beginning, but then I was never of the belief that that Gates bloke needed any more money :wink: if you catch my drift. I and some friends use a little app called "XP antispy" which rips out a lot of M/S crap that's definately not needed :) Any fixing that needs doing is best done yourself by finding the info from one of the numerous sites on the web. If you don't like Iexplorer, you can get a copy of Mozilla(freeware) which you should feel more at home with, you just have to make it your default browser.
Once you have your system how you want it (or found yourself a nice compromise) you should use "ghost" or similar to make an image of your setup, makes re-installing (never needed to in two years) a doddle.

A lot of people don't relise that XP is completely re-skinnable! If you hate the appearance (and a lot of people do) there are some programs like "stylexp" and "window blinds" that let you re-skin it. Loads of presets to choose from including OSX (always windows behind the scenes) StyleXP actually runs lighter than the default GUI too!

If you run into any difficulties this forum is the best place to get help IMHO

Bad news on your lappy, changing O/S is painful in either direction.

Cheers

M

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:21 am

Sorry, that last post was me. I wish this forum had a longer timeout, I'm not a touch typist!