is session drums/EIC 2 gonna be worth it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nate_D

is session drums/EIC 2 gonna be worth it?

Post by nate_D » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:53 pm

do you think the extra 100$ to upgrade is worth it? says session drums is 28 GB. so now i'm gonna HAVE to use my external hard drive to load all my samples on to, or buy a bigger hard drive for my laptop. so that right there means an extra 150$ on a new hard drive on top of the 439$ to upgrade (+ shipping)...

hmmm....
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP

dancerchris

Post by dancerchris » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:43 am

it depends on what you used for drums in the past. I have DFHS and didn't go for the Sessions drums. I do plan on using my drum racks for electronic and other non-acoustic percussion.
Live 8.4.2 / Win 8 Pro 64 bit / Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHZ / 8 Gb ram
Presonus Firepod / Axiom 49 / PadKontrol
Various guitars, keyboards, sax and friends

nate_D

Post by nate_D » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:09 am

dfhs?
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP

CWoodOne

Post by CWoodOne » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:01 am

nate_D wrote:dfhs?
Toontrack's "Drum Kit from Hell Superior"

Strauzzie

Post by Strauzzie » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:07 am

So let me get this straight.

I own Live 6, Operator, Sampler, and EIC, and my live suite download is $299. And that doesn't even include EIC 2 or Session Drums!

If someone just owns Live Lite they can get the whole kit & kaboodle for $339!

Does that seem strange to anyone else?

dave dominey

Post by dave dominey » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:51 am

the upgrade pricing is whacky in the extreme, im still waiting for them to put the 50 dollar discount they promised me on it too

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:44 am

Strauzzie wrote: Does that seem strange to anyone else?
Funny, i was just thinking the same and i have more stuff too..
I paid extra for Operator and for a boxed version last major update to get EIC 1. Now, regardless if you had them or not, they are all in a bundle.

I guess its just called 'marketing'. They want to make it relatively inexpensive for new users to get on board, while still generating some income on existing users who wish to upgrade.

At the same time, i have a job and while i certainly don't think all this is cheap, i'll just buy it and get on with it. It only hurts my wallet for a month or two. The rest of the time i just have fun with it.

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:41 am

Strauzzie wrote:So let me get this straight.

I own Live 6, Operator, Sampler, and EIC, and my live suite download is $299. And that doesn't even include EIC 2 or Session Drums!

If someone just owns Live Lite they can get the whole kit & kaboodle for $339!

Does that seem strange to anyone else?
Looks like Live lite to Live 7 (basic program) box $389. WHere did you get that figure from? It must be a mistake.

Otherwise, I could just buy another controller and sell Live 6 (hmmm, free controller...)

If you own EIC, I think you get the upgrade to EIC 2, but you might want to check this.

The discount they give for operator and sampler isn't much compared to what you paid for them, but as a proportion of the new price, it's not bad.

Divide cost of the download by 6 instruments (incl drum machines) and the refund is about 2/3 of the price for that instrument. They're older instruments, so the percieved value of these instruments is less than the new ones.

Also the new instruments are licensed and had to be developed, any more refund and ableton would probably be making a loss on selling you the suite.

I wonder how the previous Logic Pro users felt about their new price. They must have been miffed as well.

Still, I understand, you've already paid up a lot of money.

nolus

Post by nolus » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:28 am

It is annoying that the ony way to get the free EIC upgrade is by buying the Session Drums and the Boxed version, They really should make this available to people who don't want the boxed version.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:54 am

Yeah, you're right. EIC 1 owners only get the EIC 2 if you upgrade to the box.

But the EIC 2 comes with the boxed version. Oh, it looks like you don't get the EIC 2 if you upgade from download to Live 7 box. Box is only 30 euros more, so I guess that's fair.

Is that right? It's getting complicated.

Anyway, back on topic., I'm still torn between suite download and suite box.

Mainly because I'm keen to try sampler, but feel it might be a bit useless with EIC content. Thoughts on the 2 drum packs would be useful too before I decide.

db

Post by db » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:14 pm

Hi everyone,

the EIC 2 is a free upgrade to EIC 1. The serial number unlocking EIC 1 will also unlock EIC 2.

The EIC 2 comes with a new set of samples for existing presets as well as the new drum kit and drum machine. The benefit of the new sample material is much faster preset-loading for any EIC 2 preset or any Live set using EIC 2 presets.

However, the EIC 2 needs to be delivered on a DVD due to the size of the Live Packs.

In order to get the EIC 2 DVD, you need to order the Live 7 Upgrade Box. There is no need to purchase any additional product.

If you already purchased the download Live 7 Upgrade, you can at any time purchase the "Ableton Live 7 Box with Printed Manual and Stickers" from http://www.ableton.com/shop-merchandise to receive the EIC 2 disc. This would cost the same as just buying the Box upgrade.

Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Daniel

db

Re: is session drums/EIC 2 gonna be worth it?

Post by db » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:17 pm

nate_D wrote:do you think the extra 100$ to upgrade is worth it? says session drums is 28 GB. so now i'm gonna HAVE to use my external hard drive to load all my samples on to, or buy a bigger hard drive for my laptop. so that right there means an extra 150$ on a new hard drive on top of the 439$ to upgrade (+ shipping)...

hmmm....

Hi nate_D

You don't have to install all 28GB in order to use the Session Drums. The drums come in individual Live Packs, so you can install any of the 20 Stereo Kits independently.

Also, the Stereo Kits come in a 16-bit and a 24-bit version. As a laptop user you can install the 16-bit "LE" packs which are much smaller in size.

Only the Session Drums Multimic Packs need to be installed altogether as they are modular and depend on sample files from all Multimic Live Packs.

Daniel

chasting

Post by chasting » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:31 pm

DB Wrote:
"The EIC 2 comes with a new set of samples for existing presets as well as the new drum kit and drum machine"

Does that mean EIC 2 includes Session Drums?

Thanks,
Curt

nate_D

Re: is session drums/EIC 2 gonna be worth it?

Post by nate_D » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:09 pm

db wrote:
nate_D wrote:do you think the extra 100$ to upgrade is worth it? says session drums is 28 GB. so now i'm gonna HAVE to use my external hard drive to load all my samples on to, or buy a bigger hard drive for my laptop. so that right there means an extra 150$ on a new hard drive on top of the 439$ to upgrade (+ shipping)...

hmmm....

Hi nate_D

You don't have to install all 28GB in order to use the Session Drums. The drums come in individual Live Packs, so you can install any of the 20 Stereo Kits independently.

Also, the Stereo Kits come in a 16-bit and a 24-bit version. As a laptop user you can install the 16-bit "LE" packs which are much smaller in size.

Only the Session Drums Multimic Packs need to be installed altogether as they are modular and depend on sample files from all Multimic Live Packs.

Daniel
thanks man! def want the multimic packs (24-bit version, but i like having the options to use the lite version though). i'm sure there will come a time when i would prefer brushes. i'm gonna end up buy the boxed version just cause i like having the nice printed manual (which is worth the 39$). either way, i'm gonna have to buy a new hard drive. preferably internal...

db

Post by db » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:26 pm

chasting wrote:DB Wrote:
"The EIC 2 comes with a new set of samples for existing presets as well as the new drum kit and drum machine"

Does that mean EIC 2 includes Session Drums?

Thanks,
Curt

EIC 2 includes 1 Kit from Session Drums and 1 Drum Machine.

Daniel