Novation / Behringer Opinions Please

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dphouse84

Post by dphouse84 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:30 pm

so the BCR is the heat? (WOW! 8O, I've bout behringer before and the units usuall fell apart upon arrival.) I saw the daft punk pics, kinda surprised me a bit. Is this currently the best controller out there for the dough?

anyone got any reason why the BCF is like $70 bucks more.
It seems the BCR is more versatile.

thanks again everyone.
Stuff I actually use.
sound card, speakers, mic, MBP, Mighty Mouse, Ableton, Reason, iPad, iPhone,Touchable, Rebirth, & other apps.
Pair of Technics 1200's, and a Pioneer Mixer

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:35 pm

dphouse84 wrote:so the BCR is the heat? (WOW! 8O, I've bout behringer before and the units usuall fell apart upon arrival.) I saw the daft punk pics, kinda surprised me a bit. Is this currently the best controller out there for the dough?

anyone got any reason why the BCF is like $70 bucks more.
It seems the BCR is more versatile.

thanks again everyone.
BCR vs. BCF IMO...
in the space where the BCF has 8 sliders, the BCR has 24 encoders. sliders are better for volume control, they just feel better but in terms of gobs of knobs for the real estate, the BCR wins. motorized encoders can be cool, hell get one of each.

an interesting point someone made re: Daft Punk and pros using them... they're so damn cheap who cares if they break? buy a few extra before you go on tour.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:53 pm

Tone Deft wrote:pretty sure. I absolutely remember playing with them, watching them update, Live/BCR/SL all three GUIs. I can check later if it was automap, don't think so. TBH lately it's been mostly SL on the couch and not BCR in the studio so it's not real fresh in my memory.
i checked again and don't get any feedback.
if you've got some time to cross check, please let me know.

though, i'm not sure it would be very usefull for me now... i've get used to it.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:24 pm

peeddrroo wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:pretty sure. I absolutely remember playing with them, watching them update, Live/BCR/SL all three GUIs. I can check later if it was automap, don't think so. TBH lately it's been mostly SL on the couch and not BCR in the studio so it's not real fresh in my memory.
i checked again and don't get any feedback.
if you've got some time to cross check, please let me know.

though, i'm not sure it would be very usefull for me now... i've get used to it.
come to think of it, you're right. I only did midi assign to my SL when I first got it right when it came out, since then it's been automap only, if I want to midi assign something I use the BCR, so the SL had to be in automap mode when they were updating each other. I use the BCR 90% midi assign, 10% automap.

sorry, it's only passing noon here Monday. the time difference doesn't make americans look any brighter. :oops: we sound tired because it's early, Europeans sound like drunks because it's later. ;)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

aredj

IMHO

Post by aredj » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:09 am

For less than $200, the behringer cant be beat.
I find it so damn useful..

I mix and trigger everything in LIVE with it (when I get going... hardly touching the mouse)
Love watching the values dance around on any automations...
Press ONE button... bang... whole new set of knobs to edit whatever -
external gear, soft synths... (32 presets... quick switching - I use 5 of them)

Press one button... Back to LIVE and all values are where they should be. No parameter jumping (or value scaling, or pickup)

Yes... Behringer makes stuff cheaply... But this isnt audio... midi is midi
If it ever dies (i've had mine since they made it)... I've had my money's worth... very productive with it... I will buy another...

BCF... Kinda ok... my brother has one... faders can be nice but the motors in them feel junky... especially after 2 years...

Also (i keep editing... thinking of more worth saying)
Dont forget - the top row of encoders are also buttons (aka encoder groups)
You get 4 encoder groups
4 groups x 8 buttons x 8 knobs per preset NOT including whats on the bottom half

Its pretty hard to run out of knobs here.... There's a reason why 'pros' are using it... Its **cking useful

The SL IS cool... if your needs are minimal (IMHO of course)

ok... Im done going off about it...
Last edited by aredj on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:22 am

If you get the BCR, duct tape the power cord to the thing. Forgetting it for a gig is a bitch.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:46 am

hmmmmm *stroking chin*

that bcr is starting to look tempting.

Well it looks kind of fugly. But funcionality-wise... tempting

EDIT:
SMonk wrote: Ah, i meant "external power supply" as in power cord (ie not usb powered), not as in "external adapter wall wart thingy".
oh really?

hmmmm... simple as that may be, that right there could be a deal breaker for me

Bong Sau

Post by Bong Sau » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:08 pm

I'd also say go for the BCR.

I've had a Zero SL since they were released and have been quite pleased with it although I still ended up buying a BCR to give me more immediate controls i.e. without having to scroll through layers of templates.

Since getting the Behringer I have been using it a lot more than the SL and consider it to be excellent value, especially as I paid the full release price for the Novation. Combining the two is pretty cool mind you :)