Is it just me or does Battery suck?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:57 pm

Battery 3 has too many bugs (broken keyboard entry in text fields, not all cells light up when triggering multiple cells, strangely long load times in Cubase), so I had to go back to Battery 2 which works fine.
The library is pretty good, although what I really need is an easy way to find sounds within that library. I'm still waiting for some developer to finally implement an iTunes-like searchable library where you can simply tag your samples with keywords. (ie. type in "hihat short" in a searchbox and it will bring up all samples tagged as such ready to load into a cell).
One of the Guru devs told me they are definitely thinking along those lines for a future version of Guru as well so I'll just be patient a little while longer :)

Timur

Post by Timur » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:05 pm

Is Guru able to import Battery sets?

jamester

Post by jamester » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:11 pm

popslut wrote:
jamester wrote:...the program itself sucks.
jamester wrote:It's not that I don't like the program, I love it actually.
That's what I love about this forum - it's just packed with informed opinion from experts in their field.
Did you seriously miss my entire point that badly? "Expert in my field" - WTF? Obviously I meant that I love the program in theory, but unfortunately it's too buggy right now to be useable.

Did you miss that big quote from NI, the one where they list "Several stability fixes" and such? Or do I just not know what I'm talking about?
:roll:

As for the built-in browser, it is buggy actually - it doesn't preview some samples. I kept reading people say this, but didn't believe it at first cuz I'd never noticed. But it's true, I started noticing it occasionally. Also IIRC, the samples won't auto-play from scrolling with the up/down keyboard buttons, even when set to Auto Play. So you have to click every one...and it's way too easy to unintentionally load a sample by inadvertenty double-clicking it when trying to audition (since the auto preview doesn't work). If you have a cell highlighted with a sample on it, you won't even realize you've done it cuz the new sample's name won't show in the cell. You'll notice it on playback when all of a sudden your snare sounds weird.... I wouldn't care about this if I could just use my host's browser to audition and then drag-n-drop the samples, but that's broken right now too (acknowledged in the upcoming bugfix). And you can't preview .Cl3 files right now, that's ridiculous (and also acknowledged).

I'm no expert, just giving my experience. Rather than being a twat and acting like I'm an idiot, how about respecting that I - along with many others - have not had a good experience with B3, and it's not from user error?
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:30 pm

Anyone ever have success assaigning a spring-loaded pitch bend wheel to Battery's Pitch knob? This is THEE coolest function for playing drum samples. I could never get it to work.
Life is Good

popslut

Post by popslut » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:01 pm

jamester wrote:I'm an idiot...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:35 pm

It's cool that you have no issues Popslut, certainly many people are using it ok as well. But there's some seriously experienced users here and on the NI forums who DO run into bugs, obviously because they are using B3 differently than you do. No need to bash people for sharing their experiences when people ask.

popslut

Post by popslut » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:47 pm

Tarekith wrote:No need to bash people for sharing their experiences when people ask.
Sharing their experiences?

You mean writing shite like:
v00d00ppl wrote:so i guess we can all come into agreement that the progrm sucks but the sound library is the dealbreaker?
jamester wrote: the program itself sucks.
Don't try to make out this thread is full of reasonable considered viewpoints and I'm the bogeyman - I just see loads of gobshite n00bs contradicting themselves.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:48 pm

hear here
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

WillBarnett

Post by WillBarnett » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:51 pm

ewistrand wrote:
v00d00ppl wrote:so i guess we can all come into agreement that the progrm sucks but the sound library is the dealbreaker?
Nope...

ew
lol Ew - didnt think you would agree.

I dont agree either. Only used B2 and onwards, but compared to the world of Reason its superb. Sample clarity is great and workflow is great. Seems pretty rock solid for me too.

Only big missing feature is undo, which is so damned basic its not funny and NI really need to address this in all their products.

WillBarnett

Post by WillBarnett » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:52 pm

nowtime wrote:Anyone ever have success assaigning a spring-loaded pitch bend wheel to Battery's Pitch knob? This is THEE coolest function for playing drum samples. I could never get it to work.
What do you mean a spring loaded pitch bend wheel? The pitch bend wheel works in Battery out of the box. What did you do to break it?

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:48 pm

jah rastafari

jamester

Post by jamester » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:08 pm

popslut wrote:
jamester wrote:I'm an idiot...
Wow.
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:47 am

The sound libraries that come with NI stuff are pretty dope - I have a few

however, like Reason the key is to load your own samples up in there

samples you've made or sampled

that works better than say combing through 67 trillion hats or 9,723,093,230,888 kick drums

use your own samples
Ableton | Elektron

Music

DJSK

Post by DJSK » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:49 am

For me Battery has been like every other Native Instruments VST in that it's extremely powerful but very non user-friendly.

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:11 am

Tarekith wrote:It's cool that you have no issues Popslut, certainly many people are using it ok as well. But there's some seriously experienced users here and on the NI forums who DO run into bugs, obviously because they are using B3 differently than you do. No need to bash people for sharing their experiences when people ask.
+1

When people share their unpleasant experiences using NI products
they are adding to the community's awareness.

Respect to everyone for sharing opinions. No need to rude about it.

I buy all my software but with NI ...
I have had many or more problems than people who use cracks.

cunts

:lol:
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset