What's the purpose of regional restriction downloads?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

What's the purpose of regional restriction downloads?

Post by beats me » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:25 am

I took a visit over to beatport to get an album I wanted and checked out what else is new. I was then unable to add several songs because of regional restrictions.

As an arrogant American I find this quite offensive. We have given the world so many great things. As an obvious example, the American Dream. You never hear anybody say they are going to go out and live the Vietnamese Dream, do ya? Nope. We have the only dream worth living. So in exchange we would like unrestricted access to your downloads, which by the way, we are willing to pay for.

So what's the deal? What business brainiac is deciding they only want certain regions to pay overinflated prices for music while the rest of us will just have to pirate it? Who green lighted that decision?

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:30 am

Vietnamese Dream, I have that DVD.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

jeffb01

Post by jeffb01 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:33 am

I'm not sure but that happens on emusic sometimes too. I think (but am not sure) it has to do with the label having licensing agreements in only certain countries. In other words, if I had a label in america for distributing a certain band's music but had no infrasructure for distrubution, etc in england, my rights fotr distribution might only apply to america and some english label may have distro rights in england... you get the picture. That's why videogames are usually region-locked. The english get screwed a lot on this too.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:38 am

Was there any problem in getting a certain Ableton users new album?? ;) ;)

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:45 am

timothyallan wrote:Was there any problem in getting a certain Ableton users new album?? ;) ;)
Nope :D

The explanation about distributors or labels having certain regional connections and rights makes sense on a 1970's type of level but they have to know this is only going to lead to more pirating by people who were willing to pay in the first place. Games and DVDs take some tooling around and cracking but mp3s don't.

So we can share food, alcohol, weapons, diseases, and insults, but not music. Lame.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:04 am

I am quite sure you can thank your own RIAA for thinking this up.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

sqook

Re: What's the purpose of regional restriction downloads?

Post by sqook » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:10 am

beats me wrote:We have the only dream worth living.

...maybe the problem is too many Americans are still living in a dream.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:10 am

The songs contain lead.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:37 pm

It has to do with stupid clauses in the label's contracts sometimes having those restrictions - i really dont understand why, and it surely isn't only in the dreamy usa.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:18 pm

noisetonepause wrote:I am quite sure you can thank your own RIAA for thinking this up.
What? 8O That's preposterous. If that were true then the CIA has determined that Bin Laden is sending encoded messages through Tech House, not to mention that the RIAA is now only responsible for Alicia Keys.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:23 pm

beats me wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:I am quite sure you can thank your own RIAA for thinking this up.
What? 8O That's preposterous. If that were true then the CIA has determined that Bin Laden is sending encoded messages through Tech House, not to mention that the RIAA is now only responsible for Alicia Keys.

It makes PERFECT sense now. A Silica Key is an anagram of Alicia Keys. How else could the CIA get into anything they wanted via Tech House??!