Having a Mac /Windows Emergency... any advice???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EgAD

Having a Mac /Windows Emergency... any advice???

Post by EgAD » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:52 pm

so this is what happened.....

I'm running xp on a macbook and I'm getting the blue screen on the windows side that gives me the message ' unmountable boot disk'.

it stays on that screen and will not allow windows to start, also I'm not able to re-install windows with my windows factory cd.

the bootcamp app is not letting me use any of it's utilities either as it's expired.

Euklid.fox

Post by Euklid.fox » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:10 pm

Boot with your windows cd and press C, or try press alt when the beep soundz, it will let you boot from CD.

if not working you will have to reinstall osx.

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:02 am

i'm going to try this, , but if I can't boot and have to re-install osx will that erase my bootcamp-ware, and then I wouldn't be able to load xp right?

thanks for your help i really appreciate it

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:20 am

i think you have to get 10.5 to be able to use the production (non beta) version of Bootcamp.

but im not mac centric so not completely sure.

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:52 pm

i'm about to try the tips but just in case here is the error that the bluescreen gave me

stop: OXOOOOOOED (OXA4FE30, OXCOOOO14F, OXOOOOOOOO, OXOOOOOOOO

whatever the f that is it's trying to kill my computer, crazy thing is this just started happening up until now i never had a problem at all.

Herne

Post by Herne » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:53 pm

Cutting and pasting from MS:

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if either of the following conditions is true: • Your computer uses an Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) hard disk controller, and the following conditions are true:
• You use a standard 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.
• The basic input/output system (BIOS) settings are configured to force the faster UDMA modes.

• The file system is damaged and cannot be mounted.

UDMA Controller
If your computer uses a UDMA hard disk controller, use the following procedures:
• Replace the 40-wire cable with an 80-wire UDMA cable.
• In the BIOS settings for your computer, load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate the most frequently used options such as USB Support.

Damaged File System

If this is the case, restart the computer to the Recovery Console, and then use the chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.

To do this, use the following steps: 1. Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from the CD-ROM drive.
2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

For additional information about how to use the Recovery Console in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314058 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/EN-US/) Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console.

If this procedure does not work, repeat it and use the fixboot command in step 5 instead of the chkdsk /r command.

END PASTE

I always run chkdsk /r three times in a row. If this does not work I replace the HDD, it's usually failed, if it cannot be soft-repaired as detailed above.
Live 6.10 | Vista Ultimate | Reason 3 |
Athlon 64 X2 6400 | 4GB DDR2 8000 |
Axiom 61 | BCR2000 | PadKONTROL |

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:06 pm

wow Herne thanks for your help I will try this right after posting this message
btw it wouldn't be hard disk failure cause the mac side of my macbook still boots correctly is that right?

ok so finaly i was able to install windows and it installs till the end and says 'installed correctly' message, but then when it restarts itself it gives me this message:

corrupt or can't find windowsRoot\system32\Hal.dll

now i don't know what the deal is, i'm installing from a factory full xp disk, that was the requirments for using boot camp in the first place, the disk has never been damaged or scratched so all the necessary files should be on there.

anyway thanks for everyones help i'm going to try Hernes suggestions now

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:32 pm

well Herne i tried the chkdsk and fixboot solutions but i didn't have sucess, i'm still getting the message i posted up above , the request for the hal dll, does anybody know how I can get that file into the right place in windows under these circumstances?

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:41 pm

I don't know what to do guys this is pretty bad, my music has ground to a halt, I've had to cance tonight sessions....

has anyone had this happen to them and some of you were suggesting the new mac os, is it safe to do that? is it backward compatible with the apps that are on my mac side right now? I'm not a mac person at all, ...are there too many bugs to be upgrading to leaopard right now, I just need to get my xp side going.

thanks for any help :(

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:04 pm

youre pretty much screwed unless you can get into bootcamp and recreate the xp partition and reinstall windows. reinstalling it over the top wont do anything.

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:49 am

thanks AP, sadly I'm not winning the battle with this thing