Do any of you actually have any real musical talent?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
feyshay

Post by feyshay » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:22 pm

Talent is on a relative scale, and I am about C#-2.
I saw Al Dimeola the other night in Annapolis, MD. I was dumbfounded by how much talent he has with guitar. I was playing guitar the next night and frustrated by my clumsiness when trying to pick up speed. I'll never be that good, but at least I'm having fun. It's better than watching television. What else am I going to spend money on, my kids' education?

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:25 pm

I don't know if I'm talented or not, that's not for me to decide anyway. All I know is I don't know anyone who sounds like me, and I can't make myself sound like anyone else, no matter how I try, and I can't explain it.
ethios4 wrote:One thing to remember is that you will probably never ever get to experience your own music the way you experience other people's music.
http://www.myspace.com/kristallin

Corn Swabler

Post by Corn Swabler » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:27 pm

I am awesome. I can has a talent cookie :?:

Machinesworking

Re: Do any of you actually have any real musical talent?

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:37 pm

aisling wrote:SO I ask you in return, do you think in the long run you have any real talent?
Some, I've been told.
do you actually add something to pop culture or are you the center of your universe when everybody else around you could not be bothered with the horrific garbage you call music that you produce?
Answer is kind of funny. I add nothing to pop culture, couldn't care less about pop culture, the underground has always held my interest for much longer. I am the center of my musical universe, as in, if I don't like it, I'm not doing it, though most of my friends like my music.

Actually most people are OK with my electronic music, it's the NY noise / grunge sludge I was doing in the 90's that the average person will turn their nose to. :lol:

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:44 pm

No matter what anybody says I'll never believe that I do.

I am good at many other things, though.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

pixelbox

Post by pixelbox » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:47 pm

Corn Swabler wrote:I am awesome. I can has a talent cookie :?:
U haz a talent, U can has cookie (cheezburger).
Before speaking, learn telling. And to tear magic from science is very dumb pupil-like.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:54 pm

pixelbox wrote:
him haz nu loggen.
him haz oldz cliche.

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Corn Swabler

Post by Corn Swabler » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:00 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
pixelbox wrote:
him haz nu loggen.
him haz oldz cliche.

I has no cliche, you has sarcasmz.
I am awesome, IHASCHEEZBURGERCOOKIE.

LOLCATZ!! :!:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:02 pm

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Corn Swabler

Post by Corn Swabler » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:10 pm

Do not be concerned cat shrink, I'm on my

bleepsnbreaks

Post by bleepsnbreaks » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:15 am

How the hell did this spiral so quickly from quite an interesting thread about peoples perceptions of talent and what it means to them to ikanhaz pics? :)
Not that I mind, I love cats almost as much as I love music, but was quite enjoying reading peoples thoughts on the subject.

My thoughts, well, I too struggle with this every day. I question my talent, whether I should be doing this at all, weather anyone will ever one day want to buy my music from me and play it to other people. Not for the money, but because I want make music that people enjoy.

There are many tracks out there (like just about anything by underworld) that when I listen to them, the way they make me feel makes me think, if I can write a track one day that makes people feel the way that this track makes me feel, then Ive made it. I will be happy with my talent.

Im very much a beginner. Been producing for about 4 months, but DJing for about 8 years and involved in the dance music scene for about 16 years.
I recently had a massive creative block where I just couldnt even think about how to write a melody, let alone a whole track. It can be spirit crushing.

Times like that I find its best to just sit down and play around with synth programming, or routing effects etc in interesting ways, taking the pressure off myself and having fun and learning. Like most things in life I find that worrying about something is much worse than the actual thing itself.

Most of how I make music is instinctive, I have some basic musical theory knowledge, played piano for about a year when I was quite young, played bass and six string in some rubbish bands at high school but theres a hell of a lot more I dont know than I do know.

I know I enjoy making my music, I know I enjoy listening to it when its finished and I know the people I have played my music to seemed to enjoy it, though most of those are more "punters" more than musicians themselves.

I dont think that I could say that I am really "talented" yet, I think I have some talent that needs to be developed further, but then again, I dont know that you are every truly satisfied with where you are at as an artist, thats what drives us to constantly keep developing and evolving.

I am pleased with the outcome of my music at this point, Im aware of where I am at as a producer, my limitations etc and I look forward to the kinds of music I will be producing when I have a few years knowledge and experience under my belt.

Being scared that I wouldnt have the talent stopped me from getting into producing for years, I watched people I knew getting into it, many of them getting tracks released and doing really well out of it. I got to the point where I realised that it didnt matter, there will always be people who are more gifted or knowlegeable than I am, but that shouldnt stop me from expressing myself and denying me the huge amount of pleasure I get from the proccess...

Anyway, just my 0.02 worth....
My Tracks on MySpace

Progressive Mix demo(not mixed in Live, mixed with CDJs)

17" Macbook pro 2.4 | Live 6 + Operator

freqn

Post by freqn » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:37 am

I just like to jam. Flushed my visions of grandeur down the toilet long ago.
I find more creativity and fun in musical exploration than I do in pursuit of trying to establish a reputation or name for myself. Personally, when I let the opinions of others define my music or any other talent (if you call it that), I find my creative juices poisoned or running dry altogether.

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:43 am

there have been some very intelligent and honest answers, I appreciated all the feedback. I think some of you probably are talanted.

In any case I hope you all stay creative and inspired. And maybe one day one of us may have a possible contribution to 'pop culture'
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Corn Swabler

Post by Corn Swabler » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:04 am

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:30 am

Tone Deft wrote:Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.