[OT] : Just resigned my job!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ethios4

[OT] : Just resigned my job!!

Post by ethios4 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:55 pm

WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

I have just taken my first step towards freedom!! I'm giving them one months notice, so they can get their shit together and I can get my shit together (ie - making the most of my insurance!). I will be focusing on creating the life I want to be living, which to me means I will be making time for taking care of my health, time for reading, making money from audio/music production as much as possible, and having time for building relationships with the people I love.

My partner in I/O AudioVisual owns his own video production company, and he hires me out as a videographer. I will also be involved in audio work for films being produced here, corporate audio work, producing/selling hiphop beats to conscious hiphop producers, building a strong live performance model for gigging around the world, building a proper electronic music scene around here by working with one of the guys who founded the scene here back in the early 90's, building a proper Hiphop scene here by plugging in with Hiphop activists here and in Dallas, as well as coordinating a mini-tour for KRS-One with stops in Tulsa, OKC, Dallas, and a lecture at the university here. BAM!! I got mad shit going on...no time for bullshit corporate cocksucking!!!!

I know it will be hard, but the thought of waking up every morning knowing that I'll be busting ass all day to build something for me and my wife, as opposed to busting ass all day to get a paycheck and profits for some company far away....that's the thought that drives me on...

BOOOOOOOYAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:03 pm

Hell yeah!!!

..and tripling your post count on here :D

kpa

Post by kpa » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:10 pm

Nice one. Feels good to give up stuff you felt you had to do so you can concentrate on what you want to do. I have done this too, and its meant some real hard work, but like you say, its good to wake up in the morning knowing that you're doing what you want.

Good luck, more people should do this and we would live in a better world.

Hope it all goes well,
kpa
Cryptomnesian - the recall of memories not recognised as such, but thought to be original ideas.
www.Cryptomnesian.com
www.myspace.com/thekpa
www.myspace.com/thebodesapha

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:38 pm

Great move, great courage, great everything! Best of luck!
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:47 pm

Congradge your lations. My roommate quit her job in July to do audio and play drums full time. It's working out really well for her, but, it doesn't hurt that she's a hot chick drummer.

The rule of thumb is that you're no longer working for some company, you're working for yourself. So instead of getting drunk every night and sleeping in everyday, you have to be your best employee.

nebulae

Re: [OT] : Just resigned my job!!

Post by nebulae » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:54 pm

ethios4 wrote:WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

I will be making time for building relationships with the people I love.
Fred, I'm deeply touched and honored. However, I only date employed people.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:04 pm

good luck

I always say " the best thing you can do with any job, is quit it."

break a leg
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

Librado

Post by Librado » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:37 pm

congrats and good luck!!

now please start working on bringing krs-one to tampa, may i suggest either janus landing or the masquerade in ybor(i think krs had a sell out show here with in the last 4 years) :D

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:20 pm

congratulations!

As I'm sure someone smarter than I has said "Everyone who lives, suffers, the person who knows how to 'choose' his suffering can experience true happiness."

Stick it out, sometimes things will be hard, but they'll always be hard in any situation, but loving what you do will make even the hard things seem beautiful.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:32 pm

Nice! Thanks for all the encouraging words!
It's scary, but feels good! My forum surfing is on my work laptop, and I don't like being on the internet on my music machine, so my post count will be a slooooowww creep to mad 2k props! :wink:

I feel so strongly about doing what I want to be doing that I really really want this to work. I think that's going to motivate me to get off my butt in the a.m.

My 30th b-day is tomorrow....this feels like a wonderful present I've just given myself! :D

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:37 pm

ethios4 wrote:Nice! Thanks for all the encouraging words!
It's scary, but feels good! My forum surfing is on my work laptop, and I don't like being on the internet on my music machine, so my post count will be a slooooowww creep to mad 2k props! :wink:

I feel so strongly about doing what I want to be doing that I really really want this to work. I think that's going to motivate me to get off my butt in the a.m.

My 30th b-day is tomorrow....this feels like a wonderful present I've just given myself! :D
Dude, happy HAPPY birthday indeed!!!! Mad Props!

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:19 am

Fantastic bro.
be badass.
:twisted:

I salute you!
-h
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:39 am

nice one! best of luck dude

it's a tougher road being self employed for sure, but it's YOUR road! :wink:

karmaofdove

Post by karmaofdove » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:22 am

Good luck to you :D

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:38 am

Congrats, and good luck! I'm about to quit mine to switch to a much smaller employer, better money, better atmosphere and a few steps up the career ladder.
ethios4 wrote:One thing to remember is that you will probably never ever get to experience your own music the way you experience other people's music.
http://www.myspace.com/kristallin