Dear Mr. Henke, we are voting now for Looper in Live 8!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Ableton Looper for Live 8

Yes, yes, yes!
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 214

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:23 am

Johnisfaster wrote:how is using live and bomes "needlessley comlex" honostly? how bout this, a little idea I've had..... "do what it takes to get the job done" sounds like a plan to me.

I mean really, once you get bomes set up all you do is double click on live and double click on bomes and you're going perfectly. so thats 4 clicks with a bit of preperation...
"Needlessly complex" means "it could be simpler". If you don't agree with that, then you're just being argumentative.

There have already been a few different features mentioned in this thread that cannot currently be implemented with any reasonable combination of Live + 3rd party software.

<edited because it's just not worth it>

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:22 am

bigbadotis wrote: it would be great in 8 to overdub easily. Into the same clip.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:21 pm

midistroke = mac

and classic bome's is free

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:35 pm

Right.. So it takes 2 minutes to set it up..

Now how do i share it with somebody who is on another platform and doesn't know the difference between MIDI, Audio and ASCII?

If it were a Live only thing, it would be as simple as "double-click on the .als file".
At least we could get somewhere after explaining what a .als file is.

Btw, why are people arguing about how easy it is to use 3rd party apps... With the developers of the 3rd party apps in question? :lol:
They know why they wrote it. They spent time thinking up solutions. They spent time documenting problems..

As a writer of many workarounds, I don't have any problem at all seeing the usefulness in eliminating as many unneeded steps as possible.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:40 pm

I certainly think Ableton should make a looper.

A good Ableton looper should be akin to the Beatrepeat device, but more flexible. IE a seemingly simple buffer toy, which has good abuse potential.

As many people have said; overlaying audio and 'fade' are important parts of looping, but it can be extended much further. Overdubbing loopers are great for creating sound scapes which are almost 'orchestral'.
I often use my loopers to 'carve' and shape sound, so that on each pass around the loop I alter the eq or an effect, which cumulatively shapes the sound for later use.
This isn't possible any other way. It's great for creating complex 'organic' soundbeds, or glitched up beats.

I would post an example or two but I have to drive some burlesque dancers and a contortionist to Birmingham right now. Wish me luck :)

philipc

Post by philipc » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:29 pm

Could Sampler be improved so that it'd do this? Imagine the sound mangling capabilities of Sampler messing with loops recorded in real time.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:52 pm

Angstrom wrote:I certainly think Ableton should make a looper.

A good Ableton looper should be akin to the Beatrepeat device, but more flexible. IE a seemingly simple buffer toy, which has good abuse potential.

As many people have said; overlaying audio and 'fade' are important parts of looping, but it can be extended much further.
Would love to hear any elaborations on the "extended much further". You ARE the guru of the loopers. Does it have anything to do with contortionism?

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Angstrom wrote:
I would post an example or two but I have to drive some burlesque dancers and a contortionist to Birmingham right now. Wish me luck :)

My weekend suddenly feels very boring.

KU

Post by KU » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:59 am

Angstrom wrote:I certainly think Ableton should make a looper...

...I would post an example or two but I have to drive some burlesque dancers and a contortionist to Birmingham right now. Wish me luck :)
yeah... good luck

where is angstrolooper 1.0?

After Live 6 came out it was this big shock that they didn't produce a native looper. You stepped back and said... "look take my design - I no longer need to develp angstrolooper because the Abes are sure to implement this - I'll just cavort around with contortionists and be a freewheelin musician!"

Its just bizzaro world that we are at Live 7 and they are throwing out slicers and video rendering and other features not serving IVE performance.

*shoots himself in face*

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:18 am

All we want is a sound on sound looper that you can set the bar length and have a number of undo and redo functions.

Simple really.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:16 pm

Well;

Looking at these numbers so far, 1400 hits and 57 votes, we can assume that an Ableton Looper is not a very popular idea. Quite surprising, actually. Perhaps y'all do not know what you're missing.

Techies: How hard would it be, do you think, for Ableton to implement LENGTH OF 1st LOOP = BPM ?

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:23 pm

all those pointing to kid beyond are missing the point. that's a glorified multitracker, plus it has almost no flexibility (that is, it's not an instrument, geared to a specific song generally, specific parts laid down in a certain way, etc.).

and workarounds with send, etc., don't work, because you would need an endless number of tracks to record on and over, etc.

for those who need this now, check mobius, it's the bomb.

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:39 pm

I'd be pretty stoked if there was an audio overdub button that functioned essentially in the same manner as the midi overdub button... nice and super simple.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:01 pm

anyone ever use POlar in Digital Performer?

I think this is exactly what you guys are talking about

here is a video describing it
http://www.magicd.com/mpegs/POLAR.mpeg
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

Librado

Post by Librado » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:22 am

isnt this how you live loop kid beyond style step by step in a simple concise video??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAA3PkWBHuY

As i dont know my arse from my elbow with all this yet, i dont know if this is good or not but im thinking its thumbs up, right?