Plugin Delay Features...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hujib

Plugin Delay Features...

Post by hujib » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:46 pm

Unless I'm missing something, there should be a way to set a pre-delay amount in MS or BPM with Live's included delay plugins. The Ohmboyz delays have this feature as do many others. Thoughts?

dr.wackler

Re: Plugin Delay Features...

Post by dr.wackler » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:09 pm

hujib wrote:Unless I'm missing something, there should be a way to set a pre-delay amount in MS or BPM with Live's included delay plugins. The Ohmboyz delays have this feature as do many others. Thoughts?
Pre-Delay is not a typical/common thing of a delay effect, it's a typical/common thing in reverb effects.
The "pre-delays" in Ohmboyz are part of its unique architecture (4 simple delay lines feeding into 2 resonant flter delays with distortion, feedback and cross-feedback). You can build that architecture using racks and track routing. In Live 7 - if I understood correctly - using the external audio device you should be able to build it in a single rack.

hujib

Post by hujib » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:19 pm

I agree, although I don't see why they wouldn't include that kind of functionality considering they have filter delays and such. I find it a very useful tool for music production and just strikes me as a feature Ableton would be all over!

I'd also like to see BPM pre-delay values for the reverb plugin. The Virus TI has it and it's VERY useful.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:51 pm

if you are using the effect on a send you could do a work around by routing the return channel to an audio track and changing the track delay on that track.
ive never heard of a pre delay on a delay plug

hujib

Post by hujib » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:13 pm

Yeah, I've used various workarounds. But, using BPM allows for synced control when temp changes occur :)

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:01 am

hujib wrote:Yeah, I've used various workarounds. But, using BPM allows for synced control when temp changes occur :)
It's really so easy to bulld:
Put a Simple Delay device before any other delay device of your choice, set Dry/Wet in the Simple Delay to fully wet, group the two devices and save that as a Rack. There you have your Delay device with "pre-delay" in your plugin browser for instant access. BPM sync or ms option all included.

I wouldn't even call this a 'workaround', i'd call it a feature: Have the basic devices not be cluttered with options that most people rarely use, but be able to bring in that functionality with just a few mouse-clicks - and having to do it only once, 'cause the Rack you built will be in your library. And it offers even more options as opposed to the functionality being included in the plugin itself, as you can both save presets for the whole thing and save presets for each section separately, like keeping the pre-delay while changing presets only for the filter delay.