Who uses ableton as part of a live band setup?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
motioneso

Post by motioneso » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:42 pm

Our "lead" guitarist just quit the band after three years, it was time for him to move on. We're going to experiment with the next couple of shows and use live with my FCB1010 and sample parts to add atmosphere. Basically it's going to be a synth tone mocking what he would play, but I did a little more work and added some really awesome tones. Our next show isn't until the 25th of October (thankfully...) and I'll try to gt some video from it.

www.myspace.com/clairmont

RobertX

Post by RobertX » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:56 pm

Fischerspooner does/did...

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:21 am

rbmonosylabik wrote:or load the take in Ms Pinky and scratch it after it's recorded.
How well does Ms pinky work for you? looks really interesting to me but have never had a way of testing it first...
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

vdrum

Post by vdrum » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:11 pm

1/2 of our music project used Ableton (guitarist/keys and eDrummer) EXTENSIVELY in a completely improvisational way. No pre-recorded anything!

www.spinningplates.us
eDrummer: Roland Vdrum kit Live 8/ MacBookPro 2.5 mhz & 2gb. Motu Ultralite.. Homemade midi-triggering pad for LIVE's filters , clips , & record buttons. Hopelessly hooked on live looping.

gabster

Post by gabster » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:29 pm

Very interesting, folks!

Great to hear/see of the different Live inplementations in live performances.

Do you see the need (or rather a more elegant solution) of having a dedicated musician doing only that as opposed to playing a conventional intrument along with taking care of the electronics?

Gabi.

kosovopascal

Post by kosovopascal » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:35 pm

I have used Live with a couple bands that I play with, to process instruments (bass, guitar, voice) and play tracks. Basically the laptop is the drum machine and handles any synths we can't/don't want to play. I also love beat repeat/delays on vocals especially. We have a great time letting the computer "capture" sounds and slowly mangle them. It sounds really organic, and not even obvious to the audience. I kind of wish I could make it a little more obvious so that people don't think we use prerecorded vocals lol.
Macbook 1gig/MOTU Traveler
www.myspace.com/kosovopascal

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:29 pm

lunabass wrote:
rbmonosylabik wrote:or load the take in Ms Pinky and scratch it after it's recorded.
How well does Ms pinky work for you? looks really interesting to me but have never had a way of testing it first...
I'm loving it. Right now I have set it up using racks with the chain selector to switch between the plug-in and letting the turntable audio through with one knob, and it works great. Considering the audio is going into Live, back out to the mixer and back again into live, the latency is unnoticeable.

The only thing I'm struggling with is noise issues, which turn into a problem specially in relative mode and don't let me at the time make very subtle scratch movements like scribbles, but other than that, it's great.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2