Are Logic 8 au plugins available for use in Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pandamonium

Are Logic 8 au plugins available for use in Live?

Post by Pandamonium » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:21 am

Or are they crippled so they only work within logic?

Thinking about selling off Komplete 4 (only thing I use is battery 3) and buying Logic studio and using ultrabeat in place of Battery within Live.
Visit Pandamonium Records homepage @ http://www.pandamonium.com.au

Site best viewed with stereo cranked.

autodidactic

Post by autodidactic » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:41 am

I don't have Logic Studio yet but judging by the literature available you can only make use of Logic's built in instruments by syncing the two programs via the IAC bus. In other words you'd use Logic (or Mainstage) like an external virtual midi instrument.

Pandamonium

Post by Pandamonium » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:44 am

What's the IAC bus? excuse the ignorance I'm reasonably new to Macs and have mostly experience with Pro Tools on Mac.

Oscar F

Re: Are Logic 8 au plugins available for use in Live?

Post by Oscar F » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:04 am

Pandamonium wrote:Or are they crippled so they only work within logic?

Thinking about selling off Komplete 4 (only thing I use is battery 3) and buying Logic studio and using ultrabeat in place of Battery within Live.

You could always work in the reverse order and rewire Live into Logic and then use the Logic plugs in Logic instead :idea: .
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place is actually nowhere.

Machinesworking

Re: Are Logic 8 au plugins available for use in Live?

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:25 am

Pandamonium wrote:Or are they crippled so they only work within logic?

Sorry, but what you're thinking about sounds like a headache. If you want to use Live, then get another drum machine and use Live. My favorite is GURU. You'll have money left over for other VSTi as well. :wink:

I really like Komplete 4 though, have no idea why anybody wouldn't? :?

Pandamonium

Post by Pandamonium » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:00 am

So I take that as a yes? Logic plugins ARE crippled to only work in Logic?

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:07 am

Pandamonium wrote:So I take that as a yes? Logic plugins ARE crippled to only work in Logic?
I wouldn't say crippled is the right word,,,
I'm investigating a way of using mainstage as a kinda-sorta Kore and being able to sync it to live on a second mac using a LAN. You would then be able to use the logic instruments as though they were a hard ware workstation type arrangement.
You would still need to use cables to connect the two macs to get sound,, unless there is an aspect of M-LAN that i'm missing.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:23 am

Homebelly wrote:
Pandamonium wrote:So I take that as a yes? Logic plugins ARE crippled to only work in Logic?
I'm investigating a way of using mainstage as a kinda-sorta Kore and being able to sync it to live on a second mac using a LAN. You would then be able to use the logic instruments as though they were a hard ware workstation type arrangement.
You would still need to use cables to connect the two macs to get sound,, unless there is an aspect of M-LAN that i'm missing.
I used to do that with OSX's built in ethernet MIDI and two ADAT sound cards, works pretty well. I suppose you could use Mainstage as a host and IAC MIDI, maybe even use Jack or Soundflower to send audio over... I don;t know how many audio outs and separate MIDI channels Mainstage allows though?

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:28 am

Machinesworking wrote: I don;t know how many audio outs and separate MIDI channels Mainstage allows though?
me neither,, I won't be getting my box till late next week, so i'm hoping some one will chime in soon and answer some of these questions,,
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:54 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Homebelly wrote:
I used to do that with OSX's built in ethernet MIDI and two ADAT sound cards, works pretty well. I suppose you could use Mainstage as a host and IAC MIDI, maybe even use Jack or Soundflower to send audio over... I don;t know how many audio outs and separate MIDI channels Mainstage allows though?
I'd love to know the answer to this as well. I've got Logic Platinum 5 collecting dust.. the $200 upgrade would be worth the Logic instruments alone if they could somehow be easily routed into live. I'm guessing soundflower would be the way to go. Please post experiences...
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:57 am

Just like Live's plugins are "crippled" to only work in Live.
ethios4 wrote:One thing to remember is that you will probably never ever get to experience your own music the way you experience other people's music.
http://www.myspace.com/kristallin

Pandamonium

Post by Pandamonium » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:33 am

mcconaghy wrote:
Kind of: The difference being that Live plugins are in a format that doesn't work with other hosts, Logics ARE in a format that will work with other hosts but intentionally crippled. I would welcome au/RSTA/VST versions of the abe plugs with open arms. More portable versions would make them much more useful to the customers that have purchased them. If they don't do that, they should include them with ableton at no extra charge if they want a chance of keeping up with the competition.

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:22 am

Live can send midi to Mainstage which does host Logic instruments and effects. So although it's not 100% functional, you can kind of rewire Logic instruments as slaves to Live.

D.
I invented coffee

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:14 pm

Pandamonium wrote: Kind of: The difference being that Live plugins are in a format that doesn't work with other hosts, Logics ARE in a format that will work with other hosts but intentionally crippled.
,, ummm 8O
No they are not.
Logics plugins are not AU or VST plugins,,,
I believe EXS and EVP may have been available as such a few years back,, and may even have been able have been bought separately as extensions of logic, just as operator and sampler are with Live,, but that isn't to say they are crippled,, at least, no more so that a diesel engine has been crippled so it can't use spark plugs,,
What a very silly hang up you seem to have in this regard,, :roll:

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:55 pm

Pandamonium wrote:
mcconaghy wrote:
Kind of: The difference being that Live plugins are in a format that doesn't work with other hosts, Logics ARE in a format that will work with other hosts but intentionally crippled. I would welcome au/RSTA/VST versions of the abe plugs with open arms. More portable versions would make them much more useful to the customers that have purchased them. If they don't do that, they should include them with ableton at no extra charge if they want a chance of keeping up with the competition.
Logic plugins are NOT AUs, they are part of the Logic engine. Even though they were available for separate purchase at one time all you bought was an unlock code, same as Operator and Sampler.
ethios4 wrote:One thing to remember is that you will probably never ever get to experience your own music the way you experience other people's music.
http://www.myspace.com/kristallin