OT: Guitars!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:48 pm

funky shit wrote:
feerhoof wrote:on that silver ibanez you linked there are 2 humbuckers:

PSND1 (H) neck Pickup
PSND2 (H) Bridge Pickup
Is that good :oops:
for that kind of sound you want, yes. if say, you wanted to be able to do QOTSA and a more blues-type sound, you might want a single coil in the neck, but you'll be fine with that ibanez.

i won't lie to you, you chose a hard guitarist to emulate - josh holme's sound is really unique. like jonny greenwood - no-one can sound like him either.

buying your first guitar as a beginner is always going to be hard, because you don7t know what's good and bad, and you don't want to spend a lot on an instrument you can't play (yet). but chances are you'll end up wanting a more expensive guitar sooner or later. but, i know, we've all got budgets.

i think the most important thing is to go to a shop an try them. seriously, like everyone says. you'll be able to get the sounds you want just as well from any of the guitars you and others have suggested, but one of them will feel right when you hold it. i wouldn't get your first guitar off the interweb. also, in cheap guitars, there can be quite a difference between one and the next, even among the same model. you could, say, try 10 of those ibanez guitars, and no 2 would be exactly alike...

another shop to look as is http://www.coda-music.com/catalog/index.php - i haven't bought from them for a while, but my brother bought a mex strat there a while back and it was good.

Herne

Post by Herne » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:52 pm

YILA wrote:save up and buy something twice the price..the only good guitar for that price is the yamaha pacifica
:roll: Pah.

Best guitar I have [out of 15] cost me thirty quid from a second hand shop, and it's made of pressed hardboard with DiMarzio SuperDistortions.

Funky, I'd go with the epiphone, or the Ibanez if you want heavy.
Epiphone has a chunkier neck, Ibanez is easier to play bends on as the fretboard is less rounded. The Jackson is in between neck wise, but has a variety of pickups, for more sounds. The trem may piss you off learning to restring it tho'.
Twin coils on the pickup = humbucker, generally higher output than single coils, and therefore more power, volume.
As you want heavy I'd go Ibanez, the PSND pickups are great, especially when driving a real amp or even Guitar Rig, or Amplitube etc. That Epiphone is super tempting at that price tho'.
Live 6.10 | Vista Ultimate | Reason 3 |
Athlon 64 X2 6400 | 4GB DDR2 8000 |
Axiom 61 | BCR2000 | PadKONTROL |

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:00 am

itook4lefts wrote:
funky shit wrote:
feerhoof wrote:on that silver ibanez you linked there are 2 humbuckers:

PSND1 (H) neck Pickup
PSND2 (H) Bridge Pickup
Is that good :oops:
for that kind of sound you want, yes. if say, you wanted to be able to do QOTSA and a more blues-type sound, you might want a single coil in the neck, but you'll be fine with that ibanez.

i won't lie to you, you chose a hard guitarist to emulate - josh holme's sound is really unique. like jonny greenwood - no-one can sound like him either.

buying your first guitar as a beginner is always going to be hard, because you don7t know what's good and bad, and you don't want to spend a lot on an instrument you can't play (yet). but chances are you'll end up wanting a more expensive guitar sooner or later. but, i know, we've all got budgets.

i think the most important thing is to go to a shop an try them. seriously, like everyone says. you'll be able to get the sounds you want just as well from any of the guitars you and others have suggested, but one of them will feel right when you hold it. i wouldn't get your first guitar off the interweb. also, in cheap guitars, there can be quite a difference between one and the next, even among the same model. you could, say, try 10 of those ibanez guitars, and no 2 would be exactly alike...

another shop to look as is http://www.coda-music.com/catalog/index.php - i haven't bought from them for a while, but my brother bought a mex strat there a while back and it was good.
thanks for the info!! but I live in not really a creative city, with limited music outlets, (hoping to change this).

this also looks promising http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAct ... ontext=WEB

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:03 am

Herne wrote:
YILA wrote:..the only good guitar for that price is the yamaha pacifica
+1. I don't have one, but I've played em. Yamaha make the best budget guitars.

The thing to remember though is that you can get a great guitar and a dog from the same production line. Unlike software, there's huge variations and you have to really go and play some in the shop.

And usually insist on getting it set up how you like it. A good Pacifica that's been set up just for you will sound as good as any guitar on the market for your needs.

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:12 am

jez3122 wrote:http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/epi ... aul-ii/869

you cant go wrong at this price mate 8O
that is a good site. i just spotted this - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/yam ... ca012/1268

that's a very good price, i think. yamaha pacifica was the first electric guitar i ever had. i played it live a bit when i was about 16 - it was a great guitar, especially for the money. i've had a few more yamaha guitars since then - they don't seem to make bad ones. something to put on the shortlist.

feerhoof

Post by feerhoof » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:25 am

true...yamaha pacifica are a bit like sleepers... it is a matter of time to get the deserved attention... i always heard good stuff about pacifica guitars...!
If I were you i would go second hand way....ebay!
speaking of which... keep an eye on this beauty here... 3 days left and you should be able to get it for less than 100£
superflighter

reviews

thi one is rather interesting too... for the look of those switches near the knobs you could swap between humbucker pu to single coil... best of both worlds!
70s SG type guitar

keep in mind that guitars made in Japan around late 70's early 80's are top quality and sometimes even better than the real deal!!! believe me, i am a proud owner of a 1984 Squier that I hunted for quite a long time...it kicks some ass!!!!

it's actually very tempting....if only i had more than £30 in my bank account!! :oops:
hope this was helpful!

YILA

Post by YILA » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:26 am

if your lucky and u know what your buyin u can get one cheap...off the rack its gotta be a yamaha....

Im sitting here at the mo with my £100 danelectro loving it,...but there norm £360...
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

zsazsa

Post by zsazsa » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:18 am

funky shit wrote:
this also looks promising http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAct ... ontext=WEB
that last guitar will not make you sound like like QotSA. In that sense not a plausible choice.

- check second-hand (even dead cities have alive guitarists)

- go to a shop and try something and compare (with the first Ibanez you saw or indeed a Yamaha Pacifica),
check for the differences in neck feel, elements (humbuckers/ single coil) and kind of wood. As I said before the Ibanez is
Mahogany this sounds nice and full which you can crap the distortion out of out retain character. :twisted:
Whilst the second Ibanez you showed is made of basswood which sounds very neutral and boring to my ears. :roll:

- or buy one online

Post by 4.33 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:38 am

at this price point avoid axes with whammy bars or ever strat-style trems, or you'll spend most of your time trying to tune the thing

get a guitar with a nice fixed bridge

Post by 4.33 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:46 am

"i won't lie to you, you chose a hard guitarist to emulate - josh holme's sound is really unique. like jonny greenwood - no-one can sound like him either."

yes you can
nothing's too hard if you truly wish
you learn by trying to achieve
but then you learn even more through ditching what you've learnt

probably the best way to learn chaps like greenwood is to listen and understand how his guitar is interacting with the rest of the band, and most importantly, with Thoms voice as the center of it
Last edited by 4.33 on Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdk

Post by mdk » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:47 am

i think thats a sensible suggestion. basic trems arent too hard tuning wise, but if you are beginning DONT get a floating trem (floyd rose or whatever)..it'll drive you nuts.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

YILA

Post by YILA » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:14 pm

yerr i second that...

oh what about a PRS SE?....there awesome for the price...
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:24 pm

...and for that heavy sound regardless of guitar you are going to want to tune it down to D.

darkcatt

Post by darkcatt » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:49 pm

I would ebay an Ibanez Rg series guitar, and then later save up and get some high output pickups.

If you get a guitar new or used, remember to check the fret board if its twisted its no good. It can happen on a new guitar as well.
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/

nate_D

Post by nate_D » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:17 pm

i just picked up one of these about a month ago. only 300$
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENL1ABCH/
its great for a first guitar. epiphones do a good job of emulating that gibson sound without feeling like it weighs 300 lbs. but it cost 2x what you were talking about spending. honestly though you're really selling yourself short by only spending 150 on a huge investment. plus you're gonna need cords, an amp, fx pedals, picks, a case (if you want to travel). save up more before you make any decisions would be my advice :wink:
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP