beat matching very different tempos = conflict

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
djZen

beat matching very different tempos = conflict

Post by djZen » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:28 pm

as opposed to the master tempo taking over and setting one unified bpm.....why does live struggle with this..

Lets say I have a slow 90-98 bpm dub trac and want to mix it with a typical 125-128 prog track. So I load the 2 tracks into a set etc etc.
When I warp the slow trac and play the 2 songs together , they are at different tempos entirely, Ive tried setting the
track tempos in the clip view to the same but there are stilll problems? any suggestions on something that should be so simple for live. Ive heard a similar complaint from an accoustic musician friend of mine regarding very different tempos conflicting. I have had many problems trying to mix down tempo tracks with uptempo tracks anyone know why this is happening?

Thank you!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:56 pm

when you warp, set the warp markers on the beat. YOU put the 1, the 2, the 3, the 4, the 5 etc on the right spots, then when Live plays it just plays the 1, the 2, the 3, the 4, the 5 for each clip and everything else at the same time. you're not warping correctly. I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem. Live does not struggle with this.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

djZen

warping from here or there

Post by djZen » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:05 am

thanks for the response, but Ive been doing that naturally as a dj etc, however when the segment bpm is significantly different is it still simply a matter of beat mapping as you are stating?

--Why then when you adjust the warp markers manually (sliding left or right etc)does the seg.BPm switch to double time on slower tracks?

--And why is there a warp 126(master tempo) bpm from here or there?

thanks Toner