Buying a new computer...Vista or XP?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JesseC

Buying a new computer...Vista or XP?

Post by JesseC » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:36 am

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new computer just for music, but I'm on a bit of a budget so I can't get anything crazy. Since PCs tend to cost less, I've been looking at Dells. I know its a bit taboo but since music is just a hobby I figure I don't need some crazy monster machine. But since computers now almost always come with Vista, I have been researching Vista compatibility. I know that Ableton is pretty much fully compatible, but I also know that a lot of audio interfaces are having problems with Vista and that ReWire is somewhat of an issue with Vista. Would you guys suggest just getting Vista and trying to make do until compatibility is better with things, or to try to get an XP machine? thanks for the advice. Great forums!

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:10 am

If you can get XP please do so...

nate_D

Post by nate_D » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:15 am

i looked for a laptop with xp and couldn't find one. i would imagine desktops are the same way unless you want to build your own (which is always an option).
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:29 am

nate_D wrote:i looked for a laptop with xp and couldn't find one. i would imagine desktops are the same way unless you want to build your own (which is always an option).
Buy one with ubuntu installed and buy an oem copy of xp pro sp2 if ya have to.
XD

JesseC

Post by JesseC » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:29 am

What is the story with ReWire in Vista? I'd like to run both Ableton 6 and Reason 3, will that work properly in windows Vista?

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:09 am

JesseC wrote:What is the story with ReWire in Vista? I'd like to run both Ableton 6 and Reason 3, will that work properly in windows Vista?
I dont think vista is the problem, its when you rewire reason into ableton with multicore support enabled (if you have a dual processor) but in preferences when you turn it off, everything is sweet.

I would go with XP as Vista is still very new and unstable, give it a year or 2 before going with vista.

steff3

Post by steff3 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:46 am

another question in that - would it be better to go XP pro or is XP home enough?

I think XP home supports multi-core, just not multi-processor .... and then there are differences in network capabilities I think? anything else to be aware of for a music computer (which will be dual-core single CPU)?

thanks

best

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:15 am

I would just go with Pro, ive never used home :lol:

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:28 am

Home is fine, unless you have 2 physical processors (not cores) then you need Pro. Pro also allows for that 3GB ram switch but it can be a bit flaky.

Definately wait a year befor going Vista. But in the meantime, don't go buying a lot of hardware, as you may find that drivers may not be released for Vista already, some RME interfaces and the Steinberg Midex midi interface are a fine example of products where the manufacturer has discontinued the product and refuses to write 64 bit or Vista drivers. Then again, just like when OSX first came out, after a year or 2 everything is suddenly Vista only and the older product is completely disregarded. Tough choice really. Apple must be making a lot of sales on windows users who want a stable o/s available right now, given that their updated releases of OSX are upgrades and not a whole new o/s and they are on INtel and have bootcamp. Never a worse time to be buying a PC for ProAudio right now :(
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:52 am

leedsquietman wrote:... Apple must be making a lot of sales on windows users who want a stable o/s available right now, given that their updated releases of OSX are upgrades and not a whole new o/s and they are on INtel and have bootcamp. Never a worse time to be buying a PC for ProAudio right now :(
Certainly I never thought in my wildest dreams I'd go for a Mac as my next system however for the reason you've stated I'm now happily BootCamped on a Mac Book Pro running WinXPSP2 Pro and very happy with the performance.

Years ago it was OSX which was the immature OS and XP was the tried-and-trusted OS. Also back then a G4 laptop was the best Apple could offer and they are vastly underpowered if you're wishing to get serious with running multiple virtual instruments in realtime without freezing. Now that the new Macs are basically powerful Core 2 Duo PC's in a Apple shell which run both OSX and XP (and even Vista) they have become very desirable.

So yes - stick with Windows XP for as long as possible.

I was one of those funny chaps still running Win98se for my DAW until 2001 if that gives you any idea how much contempt I hold for the latest offerings from Microsoft. I flipped over to XP for music use around 2002 and it was shakey to begin with but once it became mature and a large knowledgebase was developed for DAW use, it became one of the most superb OS's for music production.

Vista has a long road ahead before it becomes DAW friendly - Also your decision will be based on how attached you are to special boutique music hardware devices where Vista drivers are not available yet or if the manufacturer has discontinued driver support for the devices.

For me I'm sticking with XP and OSX for the moment. Two mature rocking operating systems which are absolutely DAW friendly and provide the greatest degree of compatibility. Maybe later this year I'll roll in Vista by establishing triple booting (dual booting is simple - Triple booting requires signficantly more tinkering).
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

Herne

Post by Herne » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:27 pm

Personally I've found Vista to be a lot more stable than XP, and certainly more secure when online. Rewire is problem free under Vista for me [Athlonx2], between Reason 3, Live 6, and Sonar. You must install the Props Rewire update, and then you're good to go. The WaveRT support [super-low latency] is really nice, if your hard/software supports it too.

XP Pro adds support for multiple physical processors, automated backups, remote networking, domain support and various other businessy stuff. Home is a bit cheaper, and includes all the features you'll actually use.

Bear in mind Microsofts free XP support [for updates, compatibility fixes] ends in 2010 [probably June, no date announced yet], and it should not be offered for sale after January 2008 standalone.

Some manufacturers, such as MOTU, Steinberg and Cakewalk are great for Vista support, some others [M-Audio] are total bastards, using Vista as an excuse to push new hardware. However, all USB hardware, that is properly HiD compliant will work without drivers in Vista. My Axiom 61, Keystation 49e, BCR2000 and BCF2000 worked straight away.
Live 6.10 | Vista Ultimate | Reason 3 |
Athlon 64 X2 6400 | 4GB DDR2 8000 |
Axiom 61 | BCR2000 | PadKONTROL |

JesseC

Post by JesseC » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:13 pm

thank you, that is a really excellent answer. I think I want to go with Vista, just because I would like to not have to get a new computer soon, and I feel like now that Vista is out, software manufacturers will have to deal with it and slowly XP will be left behind. thanks again for your answers!

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:38 pm

I've got a newer computer that works with Vista. However, I use XP because I'm much more interested in mature, stable technology these days. I will switch to Vista in about a year when everything has been all worked out and optimized.

glu

Post by glu » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:16 pm

The Dell D630 comes with XP as an option. You can also customize to have a 160GB 7200RPM HD in there... its in Dell's Business line, so it comes standard w/ 3yr warranty. I recentlly customized one with 2GB ram and discrete graphics card... came out just over $1300. Not bad for all the above..
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

JesseC

Post by JesseC » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:04 am

Okay one last question, I really appreciate all the help. Is there really anything wrong with using USB audio interfaces? I know that Firewire is faster, but for just a simple studio set up, would getting a USB interface cause any problems with latency or anything? I would be getting a lower end one, probably <$400. thanks for the advice