Did your mother tell you to take things slow?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SPAWNmaster

Post by SPAWNmaster » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:28 pm

robin wrote: What is this "signing" you speak of? There's no money in electronic music so people put their own shti out.
i hope thats sarcasm.

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:38 pm

Boohoo,
go out to >insert a preffered music style here< night, do some drugs, have sex, come late to work...
try to remember the other day and make a tune, easy as that.

It sure gets signed if you follow SPAWNmasters cunning 10 point plan (lol),

robin

Post by robin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:42 pm

SPAWNmaster wrote:
robin wrote: What is this "signing" you speak of? There's no money in electronic music so people put their own shti out.
i hope thats sarcasm.
I am deadly serious.

I mean this in the context of deep house especially.

You do music for the love not the $$$ and unless you can find a way to DJ or perform to bring in the money keep the day job.

SPAWNmaster

Post by SPAWNmaster » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:44 pm

robin wrote:
SPAWNmaster wrote:
i hope thats sarcasm.
I am deadly serious.

I mean this in the context of deep house especially.

You do music for the love not the $$$ and unless you can find a way to DJ or perform to bring in the money keep the day job.
ok i see you what you mean now. thats why i mentioned you should be prepared to invest large amounts of time in order to churn out enough to make a living ;) 20-hour+ days is typical unless you're running a label since your standard 16% contracts certainly won't pay the rent.

edit:

something to think about though, this is a really good year for deep house so of course it's making a bit more money but naturally with the growth in popularity is a disparity in how many people are buying from amateur producers vs. the top tech producers who are now turning deep.

in an ideal world everyone would flock to the no-namers but of course the scene is so commercial these days it doesnt happen like that.

robin

Post by robin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:47 pm

SPAWNmaster wrote:ok i see you what you mean now. thats why i mentioned you should be prepared to invest large amounts of time in order to churn out enough to make a living ;)
yes, indeed.

I find that the more I have got to making music a source of a living the less I feel and enjoy the music.

That's why I'm a hired nerd by trade. :)

.....and now back to the scheduled thread-topic...

;)

robin

Post by robin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:49 pm

SPAWNmaster wrote:something to think about though, this is a really good year for deep house so of course it's making a bit more money but naturally with the growth in popularity is a disparity in how many people are buying from amateur producers vs. the top tech producers who are now turning deep.

in an ideal world everyone would flock to the no-namers but of course the scene is so commercial these days it doesnt happen like that.
Interesting point. The people who "dig" (literally and figuratively) will find the good no-namers. That of course means a very small market for them though.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:09 pm

I've been producing music for quite awhile so it's not like I got a copy of Live Lite in a box of cornflakes 2 months ago and wonder why I am not packing dance floors with my music. I dance to the music I would like to write and I DJ the music I would like to write but it doesn't translate well in the writing process. I have "my sound" and am fine with that but I would like to just mix it up a bit. I can't be the only one that sits down to write and no matter what you do it still comes out sounding like, well, you.

The definition of Deep House is becoming as diluted as the definition of Electro House. To me Deep House is like Smooth Jazz with a 4 to the floor beat. I gave my parents a Miguel Migs CD for Christmas and they thought it was the greatest thing ever. It still gets heavy rotation at their get-togethers. So by my definition it would be one of the harder types of House to produce. It's not just a bunch of saw waves overly saturated over some thumping drum track with a slight swing.

SPAWNmaster

Post by SPAWNmaster » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:20 pm

try this:

Marc Romboy, Stephan Bodzin- Callisto

Minilogue- Inca

Bienmesabe- Plumas De Mar

anything deep by Gui Boratto or Stephan Bodzin (both of them produce a lot of tech as well so you'll have to sort).

The reason I'm referring you to a couple of these tracks is because this is a contrast to your definition of deep house which is traditionally thought of as jazzy ambient music. The aforementioned tracks are quite a step up in quality and diversity in my opinion, compared to downtempo loungey deep house and may give you some inspiration if thats the field you're interested in.

cheers,
andrew

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:30 pm

beats me wrote: I can't be the only one that sits down to write and no matter what you do it still comes out sounding like, well, you.

Depending on how you look at it, this can actually be a very good thing. Many musicians struggle with establishing their own 'sound' and if this is something you feel is an integral part of your music, that's pretty cool. Think about all of the generic music out there...

Here's a thread from KVR about breaking through creative blocks, it may or may not be interesting to you:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2673020

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:43 pm

mosca wrote:try ramping it up to 190bpm and having 4 or five warped loops with follow actions - instant venetian snares
sorry but there is no such thing as instant venetian snares. your trick will sound interesting for a moment but venetian snares obviously puts alot more time and effort into what he does.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:50 pm

Johnisfaster wrote: sorry but there is no such thing as instant venetian snares. your trick will sound interesting for a moment but venetian snares obviously puts alot more time and effort into what he does.
I totally misread your first post John, my apologies for lumping you together with this obviously deranged twit who thinks that looping some bad filtered rhodes loops can even compare with the complexity of good breakcore artists.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:52 pm

pulsoc wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote: sorry but there is no such thing as instant venetian snares. your trick will sound interesting for a moment but venetian snares obviously puts alot more time and effort into what he does.
I totally misread your first post John, my apologies for lumping you together with this obviously deranged twit who thinks that looping some bad filtered rhodes loops can even compare with the complexity of good breakcore artists.
awesome man, I thought you were just always against me no matter what.

someone saying that you could just randomize a breakcore song is just like the fools who think you can just distort a guitar and scream and it's good rock music.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Isaac Yacockov

Post by Isaac Yacockov » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:58 pm

4.33 wrote:well find your advantages
i bet barbra streisand had lots of accomplished arangers around her
and guess what - you have them all in yur subconscious.
and slayer - well quite a sense of rhythm there!
thats your past and the fundamentals of your subconscious third ear.

but you can grow and extend it

say you currently resonate with an entirely new direction of music.
and that's like falling in love with a new person- you listen, you touch, you learn. spending some time with it you can understand something new, and this becomes your second nature.
if not - then it's probably just not yours

just enjoy what you do
Nice point of view, well worded 8)
Can I give you 3 one's for a five?

I Luv Tarnce Music!

D K

Re: Did your mother tell you to take things slow?

Post by D K » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:29 pm

beats me wrote: Do you ever feel retarded for not being able to produce the music that 18,000,000,000 other people can produce in their sleep? ?
no, i feel blessed.
do your own thing, just like the rest of the people who lead and don't follow
and find success by being true to themselves, as opposed to trying to be something else.
get to know your influences, revel in them but follow your own path.

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:44 am

SPAWNmaster wrote:try this:

Marc Romboy, Stephan Bodzin- Callisto

Minilogue- Inca

Bienmesabe- Plumas De Mar. The aforementioned tracks are quite a step up in quality and diversity in my opinion, compared to downtempo loungey deep house and may give you some inspiration if thats the field you're interested in.

cheers,
andrew
scanned those tunes in juno and all i'm hearing is the same old minimal trancey shit...that's not house mate. go listen to theo parrish and moodymann, larry heard and decent house music producers, honestly, you're pointing people to this trendy 'deep' stuff. what's the fucking use? point them to chicago, ron hardy, trax records and from there move to current undergorund producers who do it with soul. see newworldaquarium, juju and jordash, omar s...i mean what the hell, do your homework.