sold ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:04 am

Tone Deft wrote:
aisling wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:SP808 - funny, that's the one box that became the MOST obsolete when I got into Live, haven't turned it on in years but can't bring myself to sell it, great box!
not that it is a great instrument (the filters are rather lame....) but I finally sold my roland mc505 after not having used it in close to 7 years since discovering software.....

It feels good to get rid of gear I don't use and makes for better studio fung shoowie :lol: to free up cables and other crap........
you guys are killing me!! the other bit of kit that's fallen by the wayside is the JX305, the 505's brother. anymore it's just a keyboard controller. the battery in it died and the LCD is fading, I don't think I could sell it for much.
I only got $241.00 for the mc505 on e-bay. Even as a controller, it sucked becuase half the buttons and knobs did not send cc.......although I had this mad "fuck face" going when playing live I would pretend to do stuff with the d-beam and people thought I was really doing something innovative. all the while the 2 trtack was playing back from the laptop :oops:
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

nate_D

Post by nate_D » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:46 am

my jx305 is garbage! all i use it for is midi even though i got tons of patterns on it. sucks cause mine has this terrible hum after its been on for a minute. :(
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:46 am

my buddy swears by his sp808.he has had it since it came out.lol

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:16 am

I actually sold off my 2 sp-808s and DJ mixer when I got Ableton v1 because Abe did everything they did -- but better, and 10x more of it.

I've come to realize, however, I prefer the relationship that I establish with a tangible instrument, even if it's only 1/10 as powerful. (Also, there's a certain "handmade" feel you get from manually beatmatching and splicing things that I enjoy.)

I also came to realize that, for my purposes, using 85 plugins chained together creates about the same result as using EQ, reverb, and edits.

$0.001,
rs

northernlight

Post by northernlight » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:00 am

I went "hardware-only" for a while with a monomachine, machinedrum, jomox xbase and an evolver.

It was great to learn how to work without a computer and put me in a different mindset.

Now I have integrated live back into the setup. All sounds and patterns I still generate with the hardware, I would say the "song-writing" happens all on hardware. But then I record it into live, channel for channel, and get to work on each of them again. I really like the way I can fine tune each track, or give it some extra spice with FX and variation.

Definitely best of both worlds for me.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:50 pm

I hear you're buying a synthesizer and an arpeggiator and are throwing your computer out the window because you want to make something real. You want to make a Yaz record.

I hear that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables.
I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:00 pm

pulsoc wrote: You want to make a Yaz record.
just like coldcut :lol:

Haselmeier

Post by Haselmeier » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:27 pm

I understand you, honestly.
i prever to use HW as well.
to be honest, i own more HW than you and love each piece (777, sunsyn, 999, all elektron stuff, voyager, per4mer, etc...),
...but Ableton Live is a masterpiece of software which just is pure fun to use.
Maybe software sucks, but live is fun and refreshing to use...
you will miss it...

yourmom

Re: sold ableton

Post by yourmom » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:33 pm

john gordon wrote:plus-hardware just sounds better.it really does.....
false.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:54 pm

well, thanks for selling me Sampler before heading out....I wish you luck, bro.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:06 pm

nebulae wrote:well, thanks for selling me Sampler before heading out....I wish you luck, bro.
OT wot kinda attorney work do you do? :P

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:30 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
nebulae wrote:well, thanks for selling me Sampler before heading out....I wish you luck, bro.
Court TV :D

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:34 pm

i think part of the appeal of HW is that it's less flexible, so you make choices before hand and live with it, rather than having endless flexibility that can create that deer in headlights effect. e.g., many people have sounds that appeal to them, better off forcing themselves to live with those sounds and work them rather than wondering which of 100 soft synths to use.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:25 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:
Court TV :D
I sue nordic geeks who develop crappy presets for Operator. :P

I also do a general practice forused on small and medium sized businesses. This includes artists, labels, etc. And if I can't help you, I'll refer you to someone who can.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:47 pm

nebulae wrote:I sue nordic geeks who develop crappy presets for Operator. :P
I'll tell Machinate to watch out.

My name is Bjorn, but that doesn't automatically implie that I'm Nordic!
I know its easy to confuse me with a Nordic god, but still...

Homework assignment: Locate Belgium on a map

Tip: Its borders with France, Holland, Germany, Luxembourg and the North Sea.