is Live supporting Multimedia Class Scheduler Service?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
adi

is Live supporting Multimedia Class Scheduler Service?

Post by adi » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:27 am

Because this is a pretty fantastic feature of Vista for audio apps.
Vista 64 Ultimate, Core i7 920, 12GB ram

sqook

Post by sqook » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:37 am

For those that don't know:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684247.aspx

Very interesting feature.. though I wonder what the difference between the "Audio" and "Pro Audio" flags is. :P

adi

Post by adi » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:00 am

Pro Audio gets the "High" tag -- a friend shows this to me on Cakewalk and he was able to open up a bunch of stuff in the middle of playback of a very heavy set and it didn't miss a beat because the CPU gave Cakewalk first priority on the CPU so it got everything it needed and all other application had to wait.

I SERIOUSLY hope the Abes are programming this in.

capo-wear-i

Post by capo-wear-i » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:45 am

I was under the impression that this will only work within the WaveRT driver architecture, not ASIO. WaveRT is PCI only - no Firewire or USB. That kind of excludes most people with a portable setup.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:51 am

Vista stam hara...

adi

Post by adi » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:38 pm

capo-wear-i wrote:I was under the impression that this will only work within the WaveRT driver architecture, not ASIO. WaveRT is PCI only - no Firewire or USB. That kind of excludes most people with a portable setup.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
you are -- this is not driver related, this is related to software and cpu priority, as would be programed by ableton (and like has already been programed in cakewalk)

capo-wear-i

Post by capo-wear-i » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:55 pm

adi wrote:
capo-wear-i wrote:I was under the impression that this will only work within the WaveRT driver architecture, not ASIO. WaveRT is PCI only - no Firewire or USB. That kind of excludes most people with a portable setup.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
you are -- this is not driver related, this is related to software and cpu priority, as would be programed by ableton (and like has already been programed in cakewalk)
...which uses WaveRT drivers, unless I'm mistaken. Has anyone seen this working with ASIO ? I'd like to be wrong 'cause it would be a great idea if it works.

EDIT : I've never been so happy to be proved wrong - apologies to the OP.

From an interview with Cakewalk on Createdigital music
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/01/1 ... walks-cto/
Peter: Does MMCSS benefit all audio operations (e.g., if people are using ASIO drivers), or just WaveRT?

Noel: The MMCSS subsystem itself is independent of WaveRT. MMCSS is the Multimedia Class Scheduler service and affects the prioritization of application threads that are registered with MMCSS. It is up to the application to register its time critical processing threads with MMCSS. You will see MMCSS benefits using ASIO, WDM and WaveRT capable drivers in SONAR. The combination of MMCSS and WaveRT will provide the maximum benefit.
So it should be possible for Ableton then..Now that is intereresting. Wonder if they've been looking into it for Live7 ?

adi

Post by adi » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:37 pm

capo-wear-i wrote: So it should be possible for Ableton then..Now that is intereresting. Wonder if they've been looking into it for Live7 ?
Considering what a huge benefit it will be for audio, I can't imagine they aren't, but everyone should know some of the potential built into Vista if people only program for it. Ableton programs this in and Vista will DESTROY XP for Live.

capo-wear-i

Post by capo-wear-i » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:52 pm

adi wrote:
capo-wear-i wrote: So it should be possible for Ableton then..Now that is intereresting. Wonder if they've been looking into it for Live7 ?
Considering what a huge benefit it will be for audio, I can't imagine they aren't, but everyone should know some of the potential built into Vista if people only program for it. Ableton programs this in and Vista will DESTROY XP for Live.
If they can get better performance/reliablilty than XP then I'm totally sold - don't care how long XP has been around.

adi

Post by adi » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:01 am

Same here. Vista really has the ability to be a first-class DAW OS now, people just have to program to take advantage of what it offers.

tylast

Post by tylast » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:20 pm

Very interesting read. Wonder if Live7 would/could/will implement it?

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:27 am

Really be nice if ABLETON implemnt this new feature : )

POST YOUR +1 on wish list

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70316

:D