electro?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:36 am

meanwhile:
the first time i saw the word "electrohouse" i was like "wow" "cool"
its gonna be some funky ass-shaken booty electro..

needless to say i didn't get what i was anticipating
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:48 am

mike holiday wrote:you can snag a 40 pound king salmon on 50 lb test string, and a giant 3 pronged hook on the tail
or you can pull 'em in on 3 pound test with a fly rod and a barbless hook in the mouth

you got the fish eather way BUT
it's how you hook 'em that counts

:wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:20 am

mike holiday wrote:meanwhile:
the first time i saw the word "electrohouse" i was like "wow" "cool"
its gonna be some funky ass-shaken booty electro..

needless to say i didn't get what i was anticipating
first 'electro house' tune I heard is that 'put your hands up for detroit'...can't rmemeber what the cunt name is...is that 'electro house'?
you can imagine how pissed I was to hear such a poor man's version/rip-off "flash" by fix, from this:

http://www.discogs.com/release/4649

this is what happens when you don't know where this music comes from; you just fall for any cheapo rip-off...do your homework and demand quality and original tunes people, life is too short.

PLB

Post by PLB » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:50 am

i can't believe you guys are talking about the decline of dance music because you don't like what the term electro has come to mean. there is a very prominent genre of house that people are calling 'electro' so get over it!

if you ask me dance music is better than it ever has been. a huge effort is needed to weed out the crap as always.

and as for the whining about all the different genres... genres are important if you are a clubber. if i'm going out i want to know what kind of house is being played so i know where to go or not to go.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:45 pm

PLB wrote:i can't believe you guys are talking about the decline of dance music because you don't like what the term electro has come to mean..

it's not a discussion about the decline of dance music

(i don't care which way it goes)

but rather a discussion about the humour of marketing
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

gogmagog

Post by gogmagog » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:58 pm

dub-step anyone?

(runs and hides behind the sofa)
my other computer is an atari

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:56 pm

PLB wrote: genres are important if you are a clubber. if i'm going out i want to know what kind of house is being played so i know where to go or not to go.

hilarious! it's like shopping for designer clothes or something.

fuck all that noise.

anyway, hands up for detroit is matthew dear. it was his first track, actually. That was back in 99, were people calling that shit "electro" back then? it's fucking techno, ffs. and while that track is kinda retarded and played to death now, it's also pretty good shit. I'm way into the stuff that he does as audion. as far as techno goes it's pretty interesting stuff. It certainly has vision beyond what most dance music has.

Do i have to know what bullshit name people are calling that music to know whether i like it or not? Is going to a party claiming to be about a certain genre going to ensure that it's good? Is it just a bunch of meaningless jingo thrown around? Does it alienate people who aren't in the dj culture world? is it just plain stupid?

edit: my bad, you must certainly mean the euro track "put your hands up 4 detroit" that samples matthew dear's vocal from "hands up for detroit." not a fan, really.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

folie à plusieurs

Post by folie à plusieurs » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:30 pm

...forgot to mention latin/miami freestyle and Cutting records in the early to mid 80s. :wink:

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:41 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
PLB wrote: genres are important if you are a clubber. if i'm going out i want to know what kind of house is being played so i know where to go or not to go.

hilarious! it's like shopping for designer clothes or something.

fuck all that noise.

anyway, hands up for detroit is matthew dear. it was his first track, actually. That was back in 99, were people calling that shit "electro" back then? it's fucking techno, ffs. and while that track is kinda retarded and played to death now, it's also pretty good shit. I'm way into the stuff that he does as audion. as far as techno goes it's pretty interesting stuff. It certainly has vision beyond what most dance music has.

.lm.
i think they meant the one by Fedde Le Grand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Put_Your_H ... _4_Detroit

hear it here : http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF224650-01-01-01.mp3

:lol: still, bet he made a good couple hundred grand out it. hats off.

46,000 copies sold in the uk 8O

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:52 pm

yeah i figured that out before your post, which is why you see my edit comment at the bottom.

notice there is no "last edited at" stamp on the post. that indicates i edited before anyone else posted.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:58 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:yeah i figured that out before your post, which is why you see my edit comment at the bottom.

notice there is no "last edited at" stamp on the post. that indicates i edited before anyone else posted.

.lm.
noted :P
the euro rythems of detroit put me off.

Patch

Post by Patch » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:59 pm

Bottom Line - the word "electro" is cool. Ad it to anything to make it cooler:

Electro Nuts
Electro Mug
Electro Sausage

See?!? It works...

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:16 pm

electro sausage!!! lol

aye, I meant the Fedde Le grand tune, who's not from the D anyway...matthew dear is cool, I like the audion stuff.

anyway, ya, wanted to agree with the OP about electro being misused etc etc, been happening since the days of acid house really...what can you do.

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:52 pm

all the retarded genres are simply for DJs who are too lazy to listen to all the records in a shop, and all the genres are invented by bored shop keepers with nothing better to do....I've never met a producer that likes to pigeon hole his/her stuff, it's all just music, listen to it first, then call it whatever the fuck you want....but I'm totally only making 'Lectro sausage from now on...

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:11 pm

evilxsystems wrote:all the retarded genres are simply for DJs who are too lazy to listen to all the records in a shop, and all the genres are invented by bored shop keepers with nothing better to do....I've never met a producer that likes to pigeon hole his/her stuff, it's all just music, listen to it first, then call it whatever the fuck you want....but I'm totally only making 'Lectro sausage from now on...
put yo hands up fo' electro sausage

and BAM, 40 thousand copies in the UK alone, I hope you'll remember me when you're famous.