Extreme long feature wishlist / making LIVE the ultimate

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
alien factory

Extreme long feature wishlist / making LIVE the ultimate

Post by alien factory » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:37 am

Hi to all LIVE fans,

as this post has gone upwards because of my last reply at the end, I edit this one with the following:

This list was made by me in July when I was new to Ableton LIVE and is ment to be a suggestion / comparision to other DAW functions I got used to using ProTools and Logic. Concerning the importance what aspects Abelton should care about in the future, see my post in the general section:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 511#548511

original post:

I worked on this for the last hours and decided to put the pdf/doc on my homepage for download.

The list got too long to post it here and waste the place. I'm not sure if I would bother the community by posting this here directly... :evil:

So anyone who's interested is heartily invited and appreciated for taking a look into my personal feature wishlist...

PDF:

http://www.stefanjoachimmueller.de/info ... 20SM-3.pdf

Word Document:

http://www.stefanjoachimmueller.de/info ... t%20SM.doc

regards to all, any comments welcome
Last edited by alien factory on Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macbook Pro 2.5 Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, LIVE 8.1, Novation SL37, APC40, M-Audio Firewire410, ProTools 8 LE, Reason 4, Waves Native Power Pack, Music Production Toolkit 2, Stylus RMX, NI Komplete&Kore

http://www.myspace.com/stefanhollaender

alien factory

headlines of feature wishlist

Post by alien factory » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:30 am

Hi again,

I just decided to post just the headlines in here, anyone who wants them explained should download the whole document... Feedback appreciated.

A. Concerning global issues:

01. Displaying run-time / SMPTE

02. Assignable Keyboard Shortcuts

03. Storable view and zoom settings with assignable key commands

04. Loading new project in background while playing

05. Also import return tracks while dragging a project into an existing one...

06. Solo-safe feature for all tracks

07. Solo for grouped tracks

08. Deactivate "Solo" Button (key / midi assignable command)

09. Device select button (midi/key assignable)

10. Pre/post Sends for individual tracks

11. Other Grid values than just Beats&Bars...

12. OMF In- and Export

13. Hideable display of inserted devices for each track

14. Make selected clips more visible

15. Accelerating and improved scrolling while dragging clips towards arrangement/session view borders

16. Automatic safety project copies in background

17. "Copy imported audio to project folder" preference & renaming disk file feature (besides "crop")

18. Display Names of changed and renamed LIVE Plug-Ins in track view

19. View of midi mapped notes in traditional note order (not in alphabet order)

20. Fast-forward in Browser clip preview & waveform display in browser and "manage files-> view samples" window.

21. CPU peak level display...

B. Concerning "Session View":

01. Follow actions for scenes / additional scene parameters / "Scene View"

02. Let more than one scene play at once (optional by preference setting)

03. Group clips / tracks

04. Double click on clip to close detail clip view...

C. Concerning Clip View:

01. Make clips selectable by midi/key command

02. Cut clip in pieces at warp markers respectively grid values / "strip silence"

03. Midi/key assignment for individual defined clips

04. Midi assigned loop length value change should be dependent on clip quantize value

05. Clip nudge value dependent on clip quantize value (additional option) & nudge to set warp markers

06. "Play clip with scene" on/off feature

07. Quantize Midi values / force note length / force legato

08. More selection possibilities in Midi clip view ("Select notes on same relative position"...) etc.

09. Direct Value typing for warp BPM Value

10. "Follow Actions Time Control" to be optional independent of clip quantize setting... (prefs setting)

D. Concerning Arrangement View:

01. Creating new tracks while loop recording in arrangement view

02. Fade in / out - Crossfades in Audio Tracks

03. Display of Timeline in Clip View while in arrangement view

04. Changing clip length in Arrangement View should not change length of neighbouring clips until releasing mouse button.

05. Maximal clip zoom in Arrangement View with one key command

06. Key command to enlarge track view of selected track / make triangle button assignable

07. Relative grid mode in arrangement view (in addition to the absolute grid mode)

08. Lock clip position in arrangement view

09. Nudging clips by grid values in arrangement view

10. SMPTE offset

11. Scroll Option while dragging clips to Arrangement View

12. Forward - backwards / Fast forward - backwards key command and/or button at global control bar

13. Moveable selection in Arrangement View
Macbook Pro 2.5 Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, LIVE 8.1, Novation SL37, APC40, M-Audio Firewire410, ProTools 8 LE, Reason 4, Waves Native Power Pack, Music Production Toolkit 2, Stylus RMX, NI Komplete&Kore

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:04 am

You have some good ideas there.

A.15 is something that annoys me also.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:40 am

wow! impressive list! 8O

I agree with alot of them - the list is so big it's almost a bit overwhelming to comment on, but one thing you can be damn sure I agree with is SAFE SOLO!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Have you experimented much with racks?

there are a few things in there that you might be able to solve with racks

alien factory

Post by alien factory » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:03 pm

Hi forge, thanks again for your reply..

Yeah I know that some features could be achieved by using racks or also with other workarounds like using internal IAC and Midistroke...(on Mac). I can do nearly anything I want by now...

My post is more about getting rid of some complicated and time-stealing workarounds and expand LIVE with some elementary and easy accessible features, which might also be helpful to convince users of other DAWs that LIVE is indeed an alternative with a bigger variety of musical features than other DAW software...

But I think you know that already...

cu

stefan

PS: feature wishlist for devices and racks coming up soon...

alien factory

in addition

Post by alien factory » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:12 am

Of course I know, that this list deals with mainly basic aspects coming up in comparision with other DAWs and is not bringing up much innovative features considering the current music software market...

But I am sure by implementing this basic fetaures the users could develop some innovative ideas and musical workflows out of them, like they already do with the given amazing features LIVE has...

I'm now working on devices & racks, will build some and let you know in 2 weeks about my wishlist for those...

Really innovative stuff and suggestions will come afterwards...

cheers

stefan

invol

Post by invol » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:57 am

Great list!

Solo Safe!!!! Been asking for this for years.

onslaught

Post by onslaught » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:12 am

@ 13. Hideable display of inserted devices for each track

Try right click on the 'Track preview', the miniature version of the track at the bottom right corner of Lives' interface. Though a keyboard shortcut would be good for this.

alien factory

Post by alien factory » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:20 am

hi onslaught,

Thanks for having a look, but I knew about this miniature view. Perhaps this headline can be misunderstood, sorry...

What I meant and described further in the extended downloadable wishlist (first post) is the following:

"Just like for example the I-O setting display it would be nice for mixing to show up the used devices for each track to have them in view at once instead of choosing a track to see what's used for this one. Also with the option to drag and copy devices."

Would result in having below each track name slots with the inserted devices (hideable like all other mix displays, I/O, returns, sends, delay,etc...)

My complete post is more about whats missing in LIVE to give users coming from other DAWs nearly the same features they are used to, though LIVE offers more and other features that the others don't have and give LIVE his innovative standing. (...more impotant than imitating others I guess, but of course some basic features as described would be nice to have...)

cheers

stefan

onslaught

Post by onslaught » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:21 am

@ alien factory - yeah I see what u mean, I think it'd be handy to see what's in each track at any time.

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:57 pm

If they implemented everything you asked for - would Live not become quite cluttered? Once you've got a feature/button etc. in a program, it's very hard to remove it because you'll have a whole load of people who'll shout (or maybe just a few). Logic has traditionally suffered a bit from this, because they have to cater for their previous users. Obviously this is a part of designing evolving software, but it can probably become quite limiting.

alien factory

Post by alien factory » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:13 pm

Hi fatrabbit,

as I mentioned in my post concerning "My thoughts on LIve..." where you were linked from, I changed my mind a bit about what is more important. Making LIVE another DAW or dealing with what LIVE stands for... You know my opinion...

This post is more a result of a new LIVE user (which I was when I wrote this) who is likely to compare his new software with the ones he used before (Logic , ProTools)

Though some of these points in the list are really important and at least those that do not necessarily mean changing the architecture or implementing while different features should be remarked and sorted out by Ableton (e.g. scrolling..)

cheers and thanks for taking part,

stefan