electro?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:49 am

Khazul wrote:Unlike techno (that to my mind just relentlessly bangs in your head), electro house changes alot, not musically, but rhythmically
I don't suppose you have ever listened to Derrick May, Juan Atkins, The Black Dog, robert hood, carl craig, anthony shakir.

electro house = electro clash = nu rave = just fads with no substance.

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:44 am

wavejumper wrote:
Khazul wrote:Unlike techno (that to my mind just relentlessly bangs in your head), electro house changes alot, not musically, but rhythmically
I don't suppose you have ever listened to Derrick May, Juan Atkins, The Black Dog, robert hood, carl craig, anthony shakir.

electro house = electro clash = nu rave = just fads with no substance.
Wait...
Its just a Trend.
Theres more than a thin line between electro house (moonbootica, maybe?), electro clash (dunno, the egg?) and nu rave (klaxtons, LCD Soundsystem et al.)...
It appears all at the same time with different awesomeness involved, there is real good stuff and baaaad stuff.
But (especially in bad recordshops) its file under: electro.

it sucks,

Patch

Post by Patch » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:45 am

Grrr :x

I hate how EVRYTHING has to have a genre attached to it these days. House music is house music as far as I'm concerned. Some guy comes along with an individual style of House (let's say he liked using sounds from old 80's Electro songs - Magik's Wand, for example) - that guy get's bitten (copied, if you will) by a load of other guys, and suddenly there are a load of records with 80's electro sounds in 'em.

Another Genre is born.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:35 pm

wavejumper wrote:electro house = electro clash = nu rave = just fads with no substance.
Maybe your missing the point - most dance music isnt about keeping some egghead musical appreciation society happy its about a bunch of people having a good night out clubbing and forgetting what a truly shitty week at work they have had.

In that context - does substance (whatever you defination is) matter?

Lets face it - half the stuff that comes out is too crap to stand on its own as a single as well, but works in a set. The opposite can be true as well - something that does stand well on its own as a single can be crap in a DJ set - 'substance' can therefore be a bad thing...
Nothing to see here - move along!

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:21 pm

I'm a big fan of Brick Shit House. It's got the most solid beat construction.

Sure it can be annoying with a million sub genres of dance music but on a positive side I think it is an attempt to help you find the specific kind of music you are looking for. Certain styles may get mislabeled according to some people's opinions but it would be a lot harder to find what you are looking for if it was all listed under just House.

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:25 pm

beats me wrote:I'm a big fan of Brick Shit House. It's got the most solid beat construction.

Sure it can be annoying with a million sub genres of dance music but on a positive side I think it is an attempt to help you find the specific kind of music you are looking for. Certain styles may get mislabeled according to some people's opinions but it would be a lot harder to find what you are looking for if it was all listed under just House.
+1

In the end every single one of the mentioned sub genres is born in the head of a bored music editor somewhere. The idea spreads around (the editorial staff, record shops, the web2.0), and THEN another Sub genre is born.

I suppose it was always like this, even with punk rock,

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:45 pm

Khazul wrote:
wavejumper wrote:electro house = electro clash = nu rave = just fads with no substance.
Maybe your missing the point - most dance music isnt about keeping some egghead musical appreciation society happy its about a bunch of people having a good night out clubbing and forgetting what a truly shitty week at work they have had.

In that context - does substance (whatever you defination is) matter?

Lets face it - half the stuff that comes out is too crap to stand on its own as a single as well, but works in a set. The opposite can be true as well - something that does stand well on its own as a single can be crap in a DJ set - 'substance' can therefore be a bad thing...
I understand the way you are looking at this but I disagree. The decline of the quality of dance music in general is in my opinion a direct result of bending to please the larger crowd, the whatever-makes-me-forget-my-shitty-week-crowd. It is important to apply standards and be discerning, otherwise it means shit and a lot of important music would not have been produced if that attittude prevailed.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:22 pm

wavejumper wrote:I understand the way you are looking at this but I disagree. The decline of the quality of dance music in general is in my opinion a direct result of bending to please the larger crowd, the whatever-makes-me-forget-my-shitty-week-crowd. It is important to apply standards and be discerning, otherwise it means shit and a lot of important music would not have been produced if that attittude prevailed.

well said
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:20 pm

wavejumper wrote:I understand the way you are looking at this but I disagree. The decline of the quality of dance music in general is in my opinion a direct result of bending to please the larger crowd, the whatever-makes-me-forget-my-shitty-week-crowd. It is important to apply standards and be discerning, otherwise it means shit and a lot of important music would not have been produced if that attittude prevailed.
OK... so let say you have a choice - you can spend the rest of your life persuing your idea of musical and rhythmic perfection, and lets say for the sake of argument, for yo this happens to be some technically excelelnt, but rather obscure and hardcore mash of breaks, IDM and death metal that can basically only be appreciated be a bunch of ketamine and god know what else fuelled zombies. So you do your gigs, word gets around, most gigs get raided by the cops, the few that dont suffer a decline in fan base due to fans catching you on the end of a week long bender and dropping dead after the show - reducing your fan base :) Months go by - you still ca\nt give up your day job, you still aint got the time to acheive what you think you can acheive - cos you have bills to pay as well... etc etc...

Or...you could bend a bit, grab stuff and ideas from more approachable genres, give it you own personal spin/edge/interpretation, but still remain broadly accessable - in particular not requiring a dangerous concoction of drugs to appreciate it. You end up playing way bugger shows eventually because you can drag in some unwashed idiot masses anbd suddenly find one day - you can tell your boss to go shovel a broom handle up his backside, and focus on music for the rest of your days...

Which do you choose?
Nothing to see here - move along!

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:37 pm

Khazul wrote: OK... so let say you have a choice - you can spend the rest of your life persuing your idea of musical and rhythmic perfection, and lets say for the sake of argument, for yo this happens to be some technically excelelnt, but rather obscure and hardcore mash of breaks, IDM and death metal that can basically only be appreciated be a bunch of ketamine and god know what else fuelled zombies. So you do your gigs, word gets around, most gigs get raided by the cops, the few that dont suffer a decline in fan base due to fans catching you on the end of a week long bender and dropping dead after the show - reducing your fan base :) Months go by - you still ca\nt give up your day job, you still aint got the time to acheive what you think you can acheive - cos you have bills to pay as well... etc etc...

Or...you could bend a bit, grab stuff and ideas from more approachable genres, give it you own personal spin/edge/interpretation, but still remain broadly accessable - in particular not requiring a dangerous concoction of drugs to appreciate it. You end up playing way bugger shows eventually because you can drag in some unwashed idiot masses anbd suddenly find one day - you can tell your boss to go shovel a broom handle up his backside, and focus on music for the rest of your days...

Which do you choose?
I stick to the "go to bed with no whore, wake up with no whore" mantra...we'll have to agree to disagree...enjoy your electro house.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:05 pm

money isn't everything.

popularity isn't everything.

and your drug argument is misguided. I would certainly need a fuckload of drugs to be entertained at a mainstream dance party. Happy to be dead sober in a room where the music has some vision beyond just facilitating a party for shitty and unimaginative people.

but that's cool, you can choose live in a world where the artistic merit of music is less important that if you get laid by some horrible barbie-zombie who has nothing interesting to say.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:31 pm

boooohooo,
there is nothing wrong with going to commercial party or digging commercial music.
Its a mood kind of thing, if you like it do it!
Or listen to Autechre and Venetian Snares all your life < boredom involved!

Ask adonis he likes Scooter (now thats BAD ASS!),

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:39 pm

you're not hearing me.

there's nothing wrong with liking commercial music.

there's something wrong with saying that it's more important to be commercial than it is to believe in/love what you listen to/create.

i don't care for the "they make more money than x" or "there are more hot girls into x" when people are talking about art. And if you're of the persuasion that it's not art at all, it's just an excuse for a good time, than well, i think that sucks and is beyond boring.

.lm.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:41 pm

ps, scooter is fucking hilarious!

i'm a fan of "behind the cow" feat. fat man scoop for possibly the most ricockulous thing i have ever heard. or maybe that awful walking in memphis butcher job, "i'm raving i'm raving".

wow.

.lm.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:34 am

different towns have different vibes

go to minnieapollis and you hear minamal all the time the people love it
go to detroit and you hear techno all the time and the people love it
go to chicacago and you hear house music all the time and people love it
go to phoenix and you hear tracne all the time and the people love it
go to an inSync concert and the people love it

basically hooking the people is the easy part... its how you hook them that counts.

you can snag a 40 pound king salmon on 50 lb test string, and a giant 3 pronged hook on the tail
or you can pull 'em in on 3 pound test with a fly rod and a barbless hook in the mouth

you got the fish eather way BUT
it's how you hook 'em that counts

:wink:
Last edited by mike holiday on Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"