Analog Drum Machines

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
suburbanbather

Analog Drum Machines

Post by suburbanbather » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:26 pm

I know there are some Jomox users here. What about the Vermona drum module? Has anybody here used both? I'm leaning towards the Vermona since its 100% analog and knob per function. I'm not trying to make complex as Drukqs beats here, so all i'm looking for is tweakability/ease of use and range of sound.

Frankie

Post by Frankie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:28 am

I use a jomox x-base a lot. I love it.
It's very simple, and with effects and what not you can get some really crazy sounds out of it.
Though in its pure state it can make for a nasty kicks, and sweet sub bases.

My friend had a vermona, and he liked it a lot, I imagine it'd be fun in the studio, but the fact that you need external sequencers makes me apprehensive about using it in a live context. Though the jomo does have 3 external sequencer tracks, but I've never really tried using them.

It sometimes can act a little weird with midi, as my friends machinedrum sometimes would send it weird signals that'd cause it to freak out, but my machinedrum doesn't do that. (probably because they are family ;) ).

Have you taken a look at the MFB 502 its sub $250 dollars (a little over half of what I paid for my jomox) and seems pretty cool.

Though really with any of the machines I think you'd be happy. Not knowing you or anything.

trainwreck

Post by trainwreck » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:42 am

frankie, you should let me come over and try out your MD and i'll bring the m-base!
:D

chris

semtek

Post by semtek » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:43 am

I've owned a Jomox Airbase and was really happy with it eventually. You can get some incredible, though unlilkely, noises out of it which I've never fully been able to reproduce. I still use some of the sounds I sampled before I sold it, and I'd be tempted to buy another one at some point.

The reason I got rid of it was that I found it fairly useless for making decent dance kicks and snares. What I now realise is that analogue drum machines need really heavy processing to sound at all modern, if that's what you're looking for. Even 808 and 909 need huge amounts of compression and limiting to sound up to date. I bought a Sony Oxford Trans Mod for this purpose and it works a treat. I used to put the Jomox through a TL Audio unit but it never actually sounded that great, you need a really precise software compressor with good metering to make the sounds sit in a modern mix.

Just be aware of this, I wasn't when I bought the Jomox and was initially quite dissapointed with it as a traditional drum machine.

I also think it's worth emphasizing that, where analogue drum machines are concerned, samples can be a very economical and flexible alternative. Much of what you can do dynamically with an analogue drum machine can be achieved within a sampler by using the envelopes and lfos creatively. You may find that some decent multisamples go a lot further than a vermona, for example.

Just my 2c... :wink: :wink:

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:22 am

Thank you all, I do enjoy using Impulse, but when it comes to analog sounds, there is nothing better than the real thing. I think I'll end up with the Vermona since it has individual insert jacks for FX sends on each channel or instrument.