Midi timing comes in too early..

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Lazy Eyes

Midi timing comes in too early..

Post by Lazy Eyes » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:19 pm

Hi guys, i'm using a dual core pentium processor, 2 gigs of of ram and an emu 1212m set to 3ms of latency. the total latency is 8 ms.

Now everytime i punch in my drums on the MPD it comes in too early, not too late, so it seems like i got reversed latency..

Can anyone help me with this? is there any function live that can fix this?
It's always 1/16th too early everyting.. always 1/16th..

Lazy Eyes

Post by Lazy Eyes » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:32 pm

Any help on this one??

In cubase there is this feature that fixed this for me.. it was called.

Use system timestamp, is there a thing like it in live?

xl5

Post by xl5 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:13 pm

Lazy Eyes wrote:Any help on this one??

So you mean that the sound comes in before you even hit the pad then, right ?
Good one :wink:

Lazy Eyes

Post by Lazy Eyes » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:15 pm

xl5 wrote:
Lazy Eyes wrote:Any help on this one??

So you mean that the sound comes in before you even hit the pad then, right ?
Good one :wink:
No not the sound, i hear the sound on the time when i play the drums..
But the recordings in the sequencers are recorded to early, so when i play back it's off.. and it's too early..

U understand what i'm saying?

Amaury

Re: Midi timing comes in too early..

Post by Amaury » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:09 am

Lazy Eyes wrote:Hi guys, i'm using a dual core pentium processor, 2 gigs of of ram and an emu 1212m set to 3ms of latency. the total latency is 8 ms.

Now everytime i punch in my drums on the MPD it comes in too early, not too late, so it seems like i got reversed latency..

Can anyone help me with this? is there any function live that can fix this?
It's always 1/16th too early everyting.. always 1/16th..
Hi,

Do you have the latest drivers installed for your soundcard? Does it make a difference if you use another latency? Also, does it make a difference if Delay compensation is ON or OFF, in the Options menu of Live?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Lazy Eyes

Post by Lazy Eyes » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:34 am

Hi, thanks for the response, i do have the latest driver and the problem i tell you about is like reversed latency? everything comes before the hit

Putting on latency compensation on the exact amount of time that is between the supposed hit and the real hit..

there's 0.065 between the audible hit ( which was on time ) and the hit in the sequencer..

so when the audible hit is at 0.0066 the midi hit was at 0.0001

I tried putting driver latency compensation at different rates. also at +65ms to put the notes on time.. No difference in midi recordings. There was an audible difference but not in the recordings..

It doesn't even make a difference if i have monitoring at in, auto or off.. there is the slightest amount of difference.

I read in other forums on here that this was a common problem in live 6.

When i do the same thing in cubase without quantisation everything is on time, and in live it's not.. I like Live over Cubase, but this problem is almost causing me to jump ship..

Please!!! Help me!

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:47 am

Lazy Eyes wrote:Hi, thanks for the response, i do have the latest driver and the problem i tell you about is like reversed latency? everything comes before the hit

Putting on latency compensation on the exact amount of time that is between the supposed hit and the real hit..

there's 0.065 between the audible hit ( which was on time ) and the hit in the sequencer..

so when the audible hit is at 0.0066 the midi hit was at 0.0001

I tried putting driver latency compensation at different rates. also at +65ms to put the notes on time.. No difference in midi recordings. There was an audible difference but not in the recordings..

It doesn't even make a difference if i have monitoring at in, auto or off.. there is the slightest amount of difference.

I read in other forums on here that this was a common problem in live 6.

When i do the same thing in cubase without quantisation everything is on time, and in live it's not.. I like Live over Cubase, but this problem is almost causing me to jump ship..

Please!!! Help me!
Hi,

The issue talked about in the other thread has nothing to do with your current issue.
Have you got any other MIDI interface to try? If not, you say that you've got no problem in Cubase, if you use the 'timestamp' option. Do you have the problem otherwise? is it the same?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Lazy Eyes

Post by Lazy Eyes » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:15 pm

If i don't use the system timestamp i got the same problem, but in cubase it's a familiar problem..

And it got fixed by the timestamp.. is there any way to work round this??

And what do u mean with any other type of midi gear?

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:24 am

Hi,

Again, have you tried other buffer sizes for the soundcard? Also, have you performed the test to set up the driver error compensation? There is a lesson about it, and it could be that the soundcard reports the wrong value for its own latency.

Are you using ASIO drivers by the way?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

domminicus51

Post by domminicus51 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:51 am

Hi. I am having this same problem. All MIDI I record into live is written to clips approx. 190 ms early. I also use Sonar without this problem.

P4 1.5
1 gig ram
XP sp2
m-audio fasttrack pro
m-audio usb 1x1 uno
Live 6

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:54 am

domminicus51 wrote:Hi. I am having this same problem. All MIDI I record into live is written to clips approx. 190 ms early. I also use Sonar without this problem.

P4 1.5
1 gig ram
XP sp2
m-audio fasttrack pro
m-audio usb 1x1 uno
Live 6
Hello,

Same advices:

[*] Check that you run the latest driver for your MIDI devices
[*] Check that you use ASIO as your Audio driver
[*] Check that the Driver Error Compensation is set correctly in the Audio Preferences
[*] Aslo check that there is no additional delay on your tracks, in the track delay section.

Does this happen with either the uno or the MIDI port from the fasttrack?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team