Idiotically Stupid Questions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
remute

Idiotically Stupid Questions

Post by remute » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:07 pm

I'm just dipping my toes in with Ableton Live (installed the demo tonight) after getting fed up with EnergyXT - two really basic things - :oops:
In arrangement view I'm trying to record from bar 17 but it always starts from bar 1 - I've moved the loop markers to bar 17 but no dice?
Two, using clips I just want it that when one clip finishes the next one starts ie when "VS1" comes ends "CH1" starts kinda in a linear fashion, globally?
DI I really have to set *each* clip to "next" and type in the bar length in the follow action?
I am reading the manual (pg 35 as of now!) but thought someone here may be able to help.
Ta.
:D

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:14 pm

1 - I don't have Live in front of me, can't help, I mostly work in session view.

2 - Follow mode is what you're reading about? With anything in clip view you can select all your clips, ctrl-click select some or shift-click groups of them, then Clip View will show what they have in common and don't. Select all your clips (ctrl-a works, I believe) then in Clip view set them all to next etc.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

synnack

Post by synnack » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:46 am

Question 1: Just turn on record and click the timeline where you want to start from. It will to into play mode and start recordign from there. You can also start from any random point where the cursor currently is by turning on record, then hitting shift+spacebar to start, (not just spacebar which means to Live to start from beginning).

Also read manual for the punch in/punch out stuff.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:49 am

You can't set a follow action for "whenever the clip ends" - unfortunately.

It must be set to a bar.beats.16ths value, although as noted you can set several at a time.

Toonman

Re: Idiotically Stupid Questions

Post by Toonman » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:31 pm

remute wrote:I'm just dipping my toes in with Ableton Live (installed the demo tonight) after getting fed up with EnergyXT - two really basic things - :oops:
In arrangement view I'm trying to record from bar 17 but it always starts from bar 1 - I've moved the loop markers to bar 17 but no dice?
Two, using clips I just want it that when one clip finishes the next one starts ie when "VS1" comes ends "CH1" starts kinda in a linear fashion, globally?
DI I really have to set *each* clip to "next" and type in the bar length in the follow action?
I am reading the manual (pg 35 as of now!) but thought someone here may be able to help.
Ta.
:D
1. You can set markers in the timeline to 'bookmark' places where you might want to start off from, or return at any point. Live has 'go to next/previous marker' commands, so you can navigate easily. I haven't tried this, but ideally I would be able to set/delete and navigate markers by binding the commands to MIDI events triggered from any device. That would completely free me from using the mouse and using only a control surface (I'll try it when I actually buy one :oops: ).

2. I am not sure if you're talking about the clip follow feature in session view, ot just plain placing two clips one after another in arrangement view. I work more in arrangement (I do traditional music production, not live performance), but I just want to make sure what you're talking about before completely misguiding you.

And make sure you read ALL the manual! It's a wonderful source of information, and Live has MANY tricks up its sleeve that you won't find in more 'traditional' DAW's.

Welcome to Live-land! :wink:
---
Me not DJ.
Me guitar-monkey.
---

remute

Thanks

Post by remute » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:03 pm

Thanks for all your replies! :D
I've got it working how I want now in the arrangement view - the ctrl+spacebar tricks seems to do it. I think maybe that's where I'll stay for now and move onto the session/clip features later.