ohmicide and general performance issues

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
kabelton

ohmicide and general performance issues

Post by kabelton » Thu May 10, 2007 10:15 pm

usually when i stop live the cpu usage goes down to 1-2 percent, but with the new ohmicide live stays at 17 procent and so my laptop fan cant stop (cpu cant slow down with speedstep).
that sucks...

is that a problem of live or of the plug?
Last edited by kabelton on Mon May 28, 2007 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Resident

Post by Resident » Sat May 12, 2007 9:18 am

Same problem here also CPU is rising upto 30% with ohmicide, with only one VSTi running. (Papen Blue).

iain.morland

Post by iain.morland » Sat May 12, 2007 5:57 pm

I haven't found it especially CPU heavy on Live 5.2.2 under Windows. Have you written to OhmForce? They're pretty good at responding to feedback.

Resident

Post by Resident » Sat May 12, 2007 8:05 pm

Send an email to Ohmforce....but if others can help or confirm it would help.
30 % is not all the time while running through ohmicide, it is sometimes happening.

More specific now: The cpu rises when i don't play anything, the cpu in ableton went up to more then 100% sometimes?

iain.morland

Post by iain.morland » Sat May 12, 2007 11:24 pm

The CPU in Live often goes to 100-300% for no apparent reason at all! 8O :?

Resident

Post by Resident » Sun May 13, 2007 11:50 am

iain.morland wrote:The CPU in Live often goes to 100-300% for no apparent reason at all! 8O :?
Live is overclocking my system! 8O

:wink:

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Sun May 13, 2007 3:45 pm

Resident wrote:Same problem here also CPU is rising upto 30% with ohmicide, with only one VSTi running. (Papen Blue).
ja, when i stop live, the cpu goes to more than 100% depending on the ohmicide preset. hmmm..

centrino 1,8 ghz, wi xp sp2, live 6.07, ohmicide 1.02

jerohm

Post by jerohm » Wed May 16, 2007 3:26 pm

Hi all,

i'm one of the Ohm Force developers.
It's probably a denormal bug, as it seems to happen on Intel. Has someone the problem with a Mac or an AMD based PC? Also check you're not using the High Quality mode which can be heavy on CPU.

Please write us, and send us also the preset you're using to help us solve the problem more rapidly.

Many thanks,

Jerome

unklmic

Post by unklmic » Wed May 16, 2007 10:08 pm

How good are these guys!?

They respond to technical questions on other products websites!

I love your plugins man - I just wish you would include more useable presets in the melohman - I get the feeling that the presets are there to show off what wierd sounds it can make, rather than supplying us with some bread and butter sounds - I mean has anyone here tried programming it? How about a utube tutorial on it, please!.

Other suggestions - if you ever update ohmboys (and the other plugins for that matter), it would be useful to have some sort of level monitoring. And what the hell can you use the hematohm for!?

Seriously - check out these guys plugins if you haven't, they are brilliant, and amusing.

Loved the tutorials - 'Oh dear, what a terrible accent!' HAHAHAHAHA

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Thu May 17, 2007 3:18 am

unklmic wrote:How good are these guys!?

They're good.

By the way- hey, Jerome :)
And what the hell can you use the hematohm for!?
Basically wherever you'd use a ring modulator. Hematohm's a frequency shifter- same idea but with only the sum or difference signal along with the original instead of the sum AND the difference of a traditional ring modulator. It's probably the effect of theirs I use the most, to be honest.

ew

jerohm

Post by jerohm » Thu May 17, 2007 5:55 pm

unklmic wrote:I love your plugins man - I just wish you would include more useable presets in the melohman - I get the feeling that the presets are there to show off what wierd sounds it can make, rather than supplying us with some bread and butter sounds - I mean has anyone here tried programming it? How about a utube tutorial on it, please!.
I suppose you're talking about the Symptohm? (i'm not sure, as there are now three Melohman plug-ins on the market!)

About the Hematohm, it's indeed a Frequency Shifter. It's a bit similar to a ring modulator, excepted that there's no negative frequency foldering. It's based on a filter similar to the Mobilohm phaser. You can use it to get bells out of percussions, as a phaser if the shifting amount is low, as a pitching delay (as it contains a delay line), as a phasing delay... It's a bit specific, but unique sounding as there are very few frequency shifters plug-ins on the market.

The next video tutorial will be on Hematohm, but all the plug-ins should be covered in the end.
ewistrand wrote:By the way- hey, Jerome :)
Hey Eric!

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Sun May 27, 2007 4:55 pm

so, after optimizing my whole liveset and reinstalling my complete system, xp sp2... my set only uses around 25-40% shown in the cpu meter, i have crackles and higups!!!!

and after reading the forum where so many others have problems with small cpu amount AND crackles i have to admit it has to be live!!! ok ok, ohmforce should reduce the cpu consumption of ohmide as well.

the performance of live is getting worser and worser with every major release!!!

it's driving me nuts!

iain.morland

Post by iain.morland » Sun May 27, 2007 5:30 pm

lol... welcome jerohm!

I'm still not experiencing any CPU problems specific to Ohmicide at all on my Pentium 4 3.2 PC (single core, hyperthreading on)

...no more than the usual jumps of Live's CPU meter that happen whenever you try to do something adventurous like play a few tracks of audio... :roll:

As for hematohm, I used it on the vocal in Metal Pony (click to go to the mp3 download page). It is a very disturbing and wonderful effect!

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Mon May 28, 2007 10:10 am

iain.morland wrote:lol... welcome jerohm!
...no more than the usual jumps of Live's CPU meter that happen whenever you try to do something adventurous like play a few tracks of audio... :roll:
yes, unfortunately you are right... it's a shame... i dont know even one single program that has such a bad performance like live...

what was the big announcement for live 6? performance performance...haha... and the worst thing is that live 7 will be cost another 100bucks and performance will be... does not exist!

i rendered my whole liveset (im playing in arrangement) from 24bit to 16bit... no change..even consolidating the whole set doesnt change anything. the cpu is always under 50% and live cant play 9 audiotracks whithout graphical and audio glitches!!!!!

another try was to play the rendered audio tracks with a rewire app through live...so, i thought i could use the live plugs and my live midi environment...but..haha...live cpu jumps and it crackles...

i tried reaper.. http://www.cockos.com/reaper/feat-techspecs.php

its shareware, 2.2mb, and has the greatest performance ever.. i think it will play 10 times more of vsts than live and it does not glitch even you reach 99% of your cpu consumption...haha

live has so many great functions, but you cant recommend it any more...

i'm using:
dell latitude d800, centrino 1,8 ghz, xp2 sp2, 1gb ram, multiface latency 23ms