Impulse & GM Drums

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
danika

Impulse & GM Drums

Post by danika » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:26 pm

Impulse does not appear use General MIDI mapping for its drum sounds in the MIDI editor. Is there any way to change the default mapping using in Impulse?

higzy

Post by higzy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:17 pm

I'm a noob to ableton and I havent a clue what GM drums are.

But, I finaly got my padKontrol working with Impulse. You need to change the notes on the pad of your equipment to whatever note the drum sample is on.
For example the first sample on Impulse is on note "C4"!
Dell Inspiron AMD Turion 64x2 laptop
1GB RAM
Ableton Live 6.0
Reason 3.0
Acid Pro 6
Korg microKORG
Korg padkontrol
M-Audio Keystation 49e

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:58 am

impulse is hard wired to notes c3-c4. however if you look in the midi effects i believe there is a rack that will kind of map it to GM configuration.

rlwilliams

Post by rlwilliams » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:19 am

Will you describe how to use the GM Drum Map Effect? I dropped it into a midi track, but I'm not hearing any sound, but I see the faders moving.

Thanks.

danika

Post by danika » Tue May 22, 2007 7:02 pm

I also would be interested in finding some documentation on how to use the GM to Impulse Remapper. I played with it for awhile, but many of the functions aren't obvious. It is not in the PDF manual.

dancerchris

Post by dancerchris » Tue May 22, 2007 8:35 pm

Someone may have already developed a rack that has enough impulses to cover a GM (General MIDI) Drumkit and done the proper mapping. A single instance of Impulse only has 8 sounds. GM Drumkits have dozens.

However it wouldn't be too hard to create your own. The key mappings for GM are readily available on the net and you just need to rack together enough impulses to play all of the various sounds on the standard GM Map.

For me I just use Toontrack's EZPlayer and a good drum VSTi (DFHS in my case). Impulse is pretty weak on it's own and my time is worth the money to get a nice kit like that.

My $0.02
Live 8.4.2 / Win 8 Pro 64 bit / Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHZ / 8 Gb ram
Presonus Firepod / Axiom 49 / PadKontrol
Various guitars, keyboards, sax and friends

adamf

more sounds on impulse

Post by adamf » Wed May 23, 2007 4:16 am

Check out the covert operators, they have an impusle with I think it's 128 sounds...you can download it at their website...

rlwilliams

Post by rlwilliams » Wed May 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Can someone tell me how to use the "GM to Impulse" in the midi tools? I don't hear any sounds?

rlwilliams

Post by rlwilliams » Thu May 24, 2007 4:09 am

How can I remap the impulse sounds to be more GM friendly. i want to be able to take a GM drum clip and have the impulse play just the slots for the main 8 components of the file such as Kick, Snare, HT, MT, LT, HH, OH, Ride. I'd like to be able to drop in a GM clip and drop in an impulse and be ready to go, not have to move the notes around on the grid everytime to line it up with the impulse. I was assuming that was what the "GM to Impulse" tool was for, but I can't seem to get any sound.

Does this make sense? Can anyone help? Can someone give me a remapping tutorial for individual drums in impulse by using the scale, or can you only shift the whole group?

Thanks for your time.

danika

Post by danika » Sat May 26, 2007 7:53 pm

Since I first posted this question I've been doing some more experimenting. I've been able to remap most of my GM drum clips by using the following chain: Pitch (+24)->GM to Impulse Remapper>Impulse (Big Rocker).

Two key points:
(1) I have GM drum clips from a number of different sources and they are all 2 octaves lower than Impulse.
(2) The GM to Impulse Remapper assumes a drum map of the drums used in Big Rocker. So if you're using a preset which doesn't have the order of
Kick, Snare, Tom 1, Tom 2, Crash, Ride, Open Hi Hat, Closed Hi Hat, you need to fiddle with the map output.
Last edited by danika on Sat May 26, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat May 26, 2007 8:02 pm

http://www.thecovertoperators.org/archives/43

Thats the link to the 128 slots rack.
16 Impulse's mapped over the entire keyboard range.
The hell with the GM remapper.. How are you supposed to remap an entire GM kit to an 8 slot sampler anyway?

tribewalker

Post by tribewalker » Sat May 26, 2007 8:53 pm

i got that, and have no clue how to actually use it.....im such a loser, i thought this was going to make the midi notes on the piano roll be able to be renamed to like "Kick" "snare" "hihat" etc...so you can map the notes across from like a sampler or drum machine like vst other than impulse --- much like how it can be done in cubases note editor?
===============
audio engines are going to differ very slightly betwen 200 dollar soft synths

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat May 26, 2007 8:59 pm

tribewalker wrote:i got that, and have no clue how to actually use it.....im such a loser, i thought this was going to make the midi notes on the piano roll be able to be renamed to like "Kick" "snare" "hihat" etc...so you can map the notes across from like a sampler or drum machine like vst other than impulse --- much like how it can be done in cubases note editor?
Actually, there's a little rack in that big rack that lets you do just that.
Look for the rack named "MIDI note namer". It lets you rename all the note slots.

pairajacks

Free 128 Slot Drum Rack - Couldn't find

Post by pairajacks » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:39 pm

Is this no longer available?

Just looking for a way to get General Midi drums into Impulse (I've been reading other posts that say the GM to Impulse Remapper doesn't work and Impulse has a 8-note limitation anyway).

gsbe

Post by gsbe » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:48 pm

I'm also wondering about this 128 bank rack and looked on the covopt site. Is it still available? I'm teaching out of a book that has GM midi drum files that are difficult to work with in Ableton...
Ableton Certified Trainer
Contact me to setup one-on-one lessons, group classes, and guest lectures in person or online.
I also have experience with tour pre-production and technology integration.