How do you defragment the hard disk on a MacBook Pro?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubLixx

How do you defragment the hard disk on a MacBook Pro?

Post by SubLixx » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:39 pm

Much Appreciated!
Last edited by SubLixx on Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
iMac & Logic Studio

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:44 pm

You don't have to. OSX does it automatically when you install software, and late at night when you're asleep. Leave your computer on overnight once a week. (yes, i'm serious!)

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:45 pm

Well, the party line is that you don't have to.

But this is interesting:

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html#Anchor-31774

Best,
AB
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:49 pm

OSX only auto-defrags files smaller than 20MB supposedly, if you really want to defrag, there's a freebie app called....

....wait for it....

"iDefrag" that you can use. The free version has some limitations, but it'll online defrag and clean up the drive. I never noticed any difference after doing this, but it's out there if you're bored.

huffcw

Post by huffcw » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:50 pm

I believe you have to have a third-party application to do it. But usually it is not necessary (except in extreme circumstances). Read here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668

Also, here's a resource you may want to check out:

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/performance.html

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintainingmacosx.html

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:55 am

bottom line is that you don't have to do that under OSX, and i so far never heard about any problems even under extreme power users to best leaving OSX alone and doing it's thing.

just like tarekith said, but if you are bored or paranoid defrag, i recommend to not touch OSX.
*** Image GAFM ***

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 am

Tarekith wrote:OSX only auto-defrags files smaller than 20MB supposedly, if you really want to defrag, there's a freebie app called....
javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

....wait for it....

"iDefrag" that you can use. The free version has some limitations, but it'll online defrag and clean up the drive. I never noticed any difference after doing this, but it's out there if you're bored.
ha!

btw, since you are now a logic guy (how'd that happen? :lol: )

Could you use a controller like "icontrol"? It's fully logic compatible........I'm an idiot for not mentioning it to you when you bought LP.........

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:39 am

the_planet wrote:You don't have to. OSX does it automatically when you install software, and late at night when you're asleep. Leave your computer on overnight once a week. (yes, i'm serious!)
Is there a way to stop OSX from doing this, like when you're performing at 3am in a club?
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:47 am

Pitch Black wrote:
the_planet wrote:You don't have to. OSX does it automatically when you install software, and late at night when you're asleep. Leave your computer on overnight once a week. (yes, i'm serious!)
Is there a way to stop OSX from doing this, like when you're performing at 3am in a club?
Eeek, that's not good!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:11 am

eyeknow wrote:
Pitch Black wrote:
Eeek, that's not good!
you don't have to worry, as far as i know it's only doing it when everything is idle for a certain time or when the system is in sleep mode. in other words if you use actively an apps, it's not doing anything. [sort of bypassing the shedule]

or put it that way i never had problems whatsoever, and i do use my MBP even during the week often in odd night hours.

once again you are dealing with OSX and do you really think it is such a stupid system to interfere with your work??? no it's not! it's designed to be treated to it's maximum 24/7 and actually it's the most happy, stable and well functioning operating system if you just use it hardcore [that means concentrate on whatever work you have to do and forget about ALL the rest] and don't muck about to much [or at all] with any sort of 3rd party maintenance.

i used to be paranoid the first 6 month after OSX was released myself and used stuff like onyx and blah... i started to run into little trouble, since then i just ignore it, leave it alone the comp nearly 24/7 switched on and he was never happier since and i did not had any, absolute any problem whatsoever...

[applies to my old g4 at home and my studio g5 and all audio and backup drives i use as well]
*** Image GAFM ***

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:13 am

I hear that.....

Now, on my system, I have "never sleep" for hard drives....which I am thinking might keep the "auto" thing from happening?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:48 am

eyeknow wrote:I hear that.....

Now, on my system, I have "never sleep" for hard drives....which I am thinking might keep the "auto" thing from happening?
i guess not, i have my g4/g5 also set to HD never sleep and the MBP to via Powersupply HD never sleep and battery to sleep after 1hour of idle.

to be honest, i am not an IT kinda guy at all... all i know is out of 'a user experience' [so excuse if i am sometimes not choosing the right words] but from the user [my]experience i can say that OSX is really happy to be left alone and just let it do whatever it does, and you will have a healthy and stable system. that is however my own experience and that from the mac users around me. since the existence of OSX.
*** Image GAFM ***