Mutek 2004 was wikkid!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BENJ-AMG

Mutek 2004 was wikkid!!

Post by BENJ-AMG » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:47 pm

This was my 3rd year to attend the festival and it didn't disappoint. Highlights were Jamie Lidell, Original Hamster, Jason Forrest, Burnt Friedman.... some great performances. Jamie Lidell is God! Brutal set...

BENJ-AMG

Post by BENJ-AMG » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:15 pm

Anyone else here go?

logickal

Post by logickal » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:32 pm

Wished we did. Would love to see Jamie L.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:57 pm

logickal wrote:Wished we did. Would love to see Jamie L.
Jeremy!! Whats up dude! Its Benji!

logickal

Post by logickal » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:03 am

Thought that might be you!

Juss' sitting here trying to get sounds together to give away to the masses...

Login and check your personal messages, yo!

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:00 pm

If anyone else was there, could someone possibly clue me in to what gear Jamie Lidell was using? I didn't recognize the set up.

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:21 pm

jason forrest was possibly the shittiest latop show i've ever seen. prancing around stage like a prat to playback...and we wonder why we get no respect. Music doesn't have to be about chin stroking theories, but please keep the trucker hats and other 'hilarious' middle class slumming it accoutrements out of the music....mash up irony is a waste of everyone's time. The festival itself was wicked and gives a great sense of community but i have to say the music in general was pretty shit

subbasshead

please...

Post by subbasshead » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:30 pm

I couldnt go, but i'd love to hear a bit more of what burnt friedmans set was like?
was it just him on his own? whats he play off?
i know he used to play off 3 mod'd minidisk players, all with premixed tracks in same key
& tempo so he could mix/mash between them in time or out....
hes one producer who at times i just go, how the f+xk does he make those sounds!?
please someone who saw him play spark one up & do a wee rant for me?
:wink:
cheers

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:31 am

Burnt Friedman played with the drummer from Can, Liebezeit, and another bassist whose name escapes me, sounded East European (Czech?). Their performance was absolutely awesome, a jazzy, beaty electronic set where you didn't really know what Burnt was playing soundwise (only way to figure it out really was to subtract the percussion and bass), and the crowd cheered for an encore (and got one).

Loscil opened for them and did a pretty decent set of dubby ambient. Nice, atmospheric stuff, gently easing the crowd into the mood.

I'd say the other highlight was the Raster-Noton night. Despite a weak non-Noton opening act, though technically interesting with two PocketPCs, things really got rolling with Noto and from there to the trio's finale. The visuals were tight.

Plastikman was a waste of time, somewhat, although techno doesn't do much for me anyway. And sitting down in the balcony instead of dancing probably didn't help much enjoyment-wise. The visuals were weak.

I have to agree with the chin-stroking comment, although more from the journalist contingent, who seemed pretty pleased with themselves for some reason -- even as the ship sinks, so to speak.

-Alex

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:21 am

BENJ-AMG

Post by BENJ-AMG » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:30 am

Alex is right. Burnt was great. The third member of the trio was Joseph Suchey. He has played a considerable amount with Burnt over the years and is quite a nice guy. I had a hard time getting a good look at Burnt's set up....but I think he was using an MS-10 or 20 and a Powerbook. I just love the fact that Jaki didn't even have a kick drum. That's a bold move! Their set was so in the pocket. The rhythms changed often, and gradually, but it was tough to hold onto. Still, after a few bars you would realize that the timing had totally changed. Brilliant.

Oh and Byetone and all of the Rastor projections were great too. As was Isolee, Original Hamster and Lidell(I just can't get over that guys set....)

BENJ-AMG

Post by BENJ-AMG » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:54 pm

Man I loved Jason Forrest's set! Sure it was all preprogrammed. Of course he thrashed around like a lunatic. Yeah he made fun of Akufen and mininal techno. That's his schtick! He just goes up there and loses control. I like the arena rock mashups and personally think it's kinda refreshing to insert the spectacle into performance. Made it fun. Not that watching intense, furrowed-browed geniuses like Alva Noto and Farben(in 2002...) aren't FUN... I think it is....but seeing someone like Jason Forrest just take the piss out of everybody, with antics so far removed from what has become the convention, made his "performance" that much more alarming and enjoyable.

P.S. I love Akufen and minimal techno. :)

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:03 pm

krikor

Post by krikor » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:55 pm

you also have some nice ones of Dimbidimbi!!!!