Live 6 vs. Pro Tools

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
neathery

Live 6 vs. Pro Tools

Post by neathery » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:15 am

Hi,

I have been checking out my Live 6 and I am wondering if anyone could please tell me the advantages of using Live 6 over say, Pro Tools. I mean, are there things that Live 6 is better made for or that you can't do on Pro Tools?

Also, what would be a few examples of the things that Live 6 can do?

thank you,
paul

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:21 am

They can all do the same things really. Live is better at looping and shittier at CPU usage.

I'd grab the demo, it all depends on how you work.

lesterdiamond

Post by lesterdiamond » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 am

pro tools has groove templates and better midi, but doesn't have many of the creative possibilities with live

JACKAL & HYDE

Re: Live 6 vs. Pro Tools

Post by JACKAL & HYDE » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:00 am

neathery wrote:Hi,

I have been checking out my Live 6 and I am wondering if anyone could please tell me the advantages of using Live 6 over say, Pro Tools. I mean, are there things that Live 6 is better made for or that you can't do on Pro Tools?

Also, what would be a few examples of the things that Live 6 can do?

thank you,
paul

Are you talking Pro Tools HD? Or one of the slappy digi boxes running PT LE?

Ableton is better for making music itself. And since I dont think your asking about a real $20,000 Pro Tools HD system I'd take Ableton with a UAD/Duende over Pro Tools LE any day. Keeps it in the same box/prog, no rewire nightmare etc.

jb61264

Post by jb61264 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:38 am

I have both...got Pro Tools LE when I got my "slappy digi box" but I never use it. There is just no comparison between the two as far as creative workflow is concerned.

I guess one could argue that if one were to create something that was to be mixed in some artsy fartsy studio that had one of those mega bucks HD systems, you could easily share the Pro Tools LE file with the studio and it would make things easier...but as far as inspiration and creating music, there is no other like Live...but there are plenty of others like Pro Tools (just that Pro Tools became the "gorilla" in the marketplace).

Examples of things that Live can do?...well, you could start with session view (versus arrangement view)...which is a whole new way of thinking when creating music. Live also has the "arrangement" view which is more like the other programs like Pro Tools. Then there is warping which Ableton pretty much wrote the book on as far as time-stretching audio...the list could go on and on.
3.2 GHz Windows XP, Live 7, Reason 4, FL Studio 7, Stylus RMX, Sytrus, Toxic III, Novation X-Station 49, Akai MPD24, EMu XK6, Roland MC-303, Gemini BPM5000 Mixer, MBox

jyang

Post by jyang » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:11 am

I use both Live 6 and Pro Tools LE 7.

Both programs are awesome. One is made by a media giant (Avid) and created and developed as an 'industry standard' for all aspects of audio production (therefore heaps of people use it, and kind of have to use it) - the other is a more creative, a more music and sound design based program - with lots of focus on LIVE use, even though the studio aspect is also extremely strong.

For editing and mixing Pro Tools is far more powerful. A lot of the work I do in post-production for film/TV is done in Pro Tools... LE is good, especially when supercharged with the DV Toolkit 2 Option, but that's more for home use - I still go to an HD studio to finalise mixes and do 5.1 audio.

I always use Live for music creation and sound design - the intuitiveness and the effects/instruments and just the way it works is a lot better, IMO. The session view, the real-time audio manipulation...

So I use the best of both worlds. To be locked into having to use specific hardware to use Pro Tools is limiting... I wish I could buy a sweeter audio interface than the 002/003 rack and still use Pro Tools with it. But I can't.
"One need not fear the future of music..." JC

MR Coogs

Post by MR Coogs » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:26 am

pro Tools is nice for tracking multiple tracks. It's good at that, and then editing them slicing them up, cross fading.

It's midi stinks, and I dislike it's insistence on being the "master" program. - At least the versions that still compatible with my other gear.

I hesitate to buy (or re-buy) back into full Pro-Tools compatibility, as they (Digidesign) have a shitty habit of artificially limiting upgrades after a few years have gone buy.

So while I have a perfectly good 001 system I can still use, it's been crippled by lack of support.

The 003 looks to be about as good as what I have, so oh well, they won't win a re-buy out of me yet.

Live on the other hand excels at bar & beat based composition. Great if you have a big loop library, a little less intuitive when recording tracks.
And the add-ons are ridiculously expensive. They really should be included in the upgrade pricing as they are developed. As it is, I simply (sic) do without, as there are plenty of other options representing better value and performance.

My 2¢
Lots of gear. :)