First Mac. Need advice.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thetimboroni

First Mac. Need advice.

Post by thetimboroni » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:22 pm

Alright. Next year I am going to college. I will be studying telecomm. In light of that, I will need Final Cut Pro, therefore a Mac. I've always had a p.c. so this is a first.

I have a chance to buy a Pismo Powerbook G4 (upgraded from a G3) 550 w/ 512 ram and 60gb for $500. It has lots of software w/ it like Office, lots of Macromedia stuff, Final Cut Pro, and "plenty of music software."

Obviously the big plus of this is all the software. But what I want to know is, will this machine be adequate for performing and recording stuff in Live? I read the Live site and it meets requirements, but does anyone here have this same machine and run Live? How does it perform?

Thanks.
tim.
every tongue. every tribe. every nation.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:46 pm

Tim-

Seriously, save up for a MacBook. An old PowerBook is a bad investment if you want to rock Live and do serious video editing. An old PowerBook is good for surfing the web, but a piece of crap for what you want to do. You need those Core 2 Duo processors. Get a MacBook, upgrade the RAM to a gig and don't look back.

Sam

BlueInGreen

Post by BlueInGreen » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:46 pm

It's an old machine. Buy someting newer.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:52 pm

It's not going to be fast, no. It's not going to give you a lot of soft synth power (if any), and it's not going feel particularly fast outside of Live (at least not for the fancy graphical stuff). I can't comment on Final Cut performace as I don't use it, but I don't think it will be very pretty...

It is, however, one of the best laptops ever designed. It's beautiful, stunningly beautiful. They're sturdy and quite expandable - it will take up to a gig of RAM, the HD is easy to change, and you can put an extra battery instead of the optical drive.

I desparately want one for the collection (yeah, I'm like that), and I'd happily pay 200-300 for a G3 with decent RAM and a bigger HD (they came with <10GB drives, which would be small), and you rarely see them going for less than that. A G4 upgrade certainly doesn't hurt, and if you feel that the software adds value, well, that means the 500 would be the asking rate.

If you're the least bit fashion conscious, though, you can't really do any better than a Pismo... but for Live I suppose it's not really ideal..
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:59 pm

Paws- I don't think it'll do the kid much good to bring a museum piece with him to college next year :wink:

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:02 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:Paws- I don't think it'll do the kid much good to bring a museum piece with him to college next year :wink:

Musuem piece?
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:06 pm

Museum piece? - DROOOOOOL!

mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

rajcoont

Re: First Mac. Need advice.

Post by rajcoont » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:30 pm

thetimboroni wrote:Alright. Next year I am going to college. I will be studying telecomm. In light of that, I will need Final Cut Pro, therefore a Mac. I've always had a p.c. so this is a first.

I have a chance to buy a Pismo Powerbook G4 (upgraded from a G3) 550 w/ 512 ram and 60gb for $500. It has lots of software w/ it like Office, lots of Macromedia stuff, Final Cut Pro, and "plenty of music software."

Obviously the big plus of this is all the software. But what I want to know is, will this machine be adequate for performing and recording stuff in Live? I read the Live site and it meets requirements, but does anyone here have this same machine and run Live? How does it perform?

Thanks.
tim.
it will not be even close to adequate, and probably will not run 10.5 when it comes out in a couple months. it's worth less than $200 to anyone other than the weird collector maclot who value being able to swap out a battery over being able to run programs made in the last 5 years and warez included do not really sweeten the deal.......unless it's a bunch of os9 licensed stuff in which case most of it won't be compatible with anything new anyways........for 350 more you can get a refurb macbook from the apple store that is the same machine they sell new now that will have more power than you know what to do with.

this machine was underpowered for live 1, and probably won't load live 7......final cut pro on this machine (if it runs) would be about as little fun as you can have on a laptop

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:40 pm

buy a MacBook refurb and throw a couple of GIGs of RAM into it. Amazing.

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:44 pm

yeah, seriously, think ahead, a modest macbook is what you want to do.
I'm still on my 1.67 2ghz 1700 rpm g4 pb and will be for at least another year,
but that's cause I knew what was happening and understood the +-'s of that situation because I planned it out that way. Don't bother, and honestly if you are coming to macs for the sole reason of some particular software, consider a cheaper, G4 tower used, preferably with a lot of ram, to use on those softwares exclusively.
If you're trying to go all in one, then save your money to get something that will carry you into the next 2 years comfortably.
hope i works out.

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:42 am

unfortunately it is worth mentioning that a macbook will not run final cut studio. the graphics chip is not powerful enough. this means the macbook will run most of the apps in thre current version of the final cut suite, but not motion. this also means that apple does not consider the macbook a machine that they need to support for final cut, which means that other parts of the next version of final cut may not run on it.

sad but worth knowing. if you wanna edit video frequently and without frustration look at a refurb macbook pro, or a mac pro or either of the 2 faster imacs.
Macbook Pro unibody 2.2 Ghz Quad i7, 16GB RAM, 512MB graphics, 500 GB SSD, 500 GB HD, Mac OS 10.8
http://www.bangbang-nyc.com

freqn

Post by freqn » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:10 am

$500 for that is a rip off.

udp

Post by udp » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:23 am

bencodec wrote:unfortunately it is worth mentioning that a macbook will not run final cut studio. the graphics chip is not powerful enough. this means the macbook will run most of the apps in thre current version of the final cut suite, but not motion. this also means that apple does not consider the macbook a machine that they need to support for final cut, which means that other parts of the next version of final cut may not run on it.

sad but worth knowing. if you wanna edit video frequently and without frustration look at a refurb macbook pro, or a mac pro or either of the 2 faster imacs.
Agreed! save you $500 and some more for a MacBook pro. It's what you really want. besides, It'll probably get you laid. :twisted:
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

telekom

Post by telekom » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:55 am

Hi thetimboroni,
A quick look at the apple site tells you all you need to know about the spec of mac you need.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/spe ... inalcutpro

But basically... what they all said^^^^.

:)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:17 am

Yeah.
Drop another $500 and get a Mac Book.