controll reason knobs on instruments via rewire?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
elderic

controll reason knobs on instruments via rewire?

Post by elderic » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:02 pm

Hi there,

I'm playing around with rewire and it works pretty good to have Ableton as a Master and Reason as a Slave.

Now: is there a possibility to control the knobs via my Axiom 61 from within Ableton -> through Rewire -> to Reason?

What I'm searching for is pretty much the same like in Ableton:
- click Parameter u want to control
- strg+m, turn knob/fader/whaever
- strg+m, done. when u move the fader/knob, ableton updates the parameter

Now: how do I do this for Reason-Knobs when it's a Rewire Slave to Live? =)

-mk

etzilla

Post by etzilla » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:00 pm

Hi Elderic,
I don't know if I understand your question, but if you want to "create shortcuts" to your controller in Reason then it's almost the same as in ableton but a little different.

Above all I have to tell you that I'm at work and I don't know exactly the names and terms, but I'll give it a try...

First make sure that rsn is selected.
Go to <options> and there you find a line wich say something like "enable midi options.... It's underneath the first marked line (with "keyboard..")
Click this and you'll find that your rack is turned "white". Select the patch you want to control, click the knob/fader to control, move your hardware fader, or a key and so on. finish by clicking the same line in <options>.

Problem in reason is that the patch you want to control must be selected in the sequencer rack. I've made an empty track so that nothing is changed when I don't want to. I switch between rsn and Ableton to do controls.
What I do lately is creating a miditrack in ableton, then (in "midi to") link it to reason and the patch I want. Problem with this is, I have to create an audio track in Live as well because we are doing this for sound, and not for clicking.
Here you can choose audio from reason. You can choose audio from the mixer: channel 1 channel 2 mix, or you can connect the patch in reason directly into the "hardware interface" and then in live the channels you need for that patch.

Hint: if you're in live and you want to know the channels to select, make sure the right patch in reason is selected (sequencer rack) go to live, open the "audio from" and then you see al channels. play the instrument and you'll see lighting up the audio indicators from the right channel.

This way you don't have to switch between Live and RSN to get to the right instument. Just select the right midi track.

I hope this helped you a little for I don't know your Axiom.

Greetz
Etienne.

elderic

Post by elderic » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:40 am

That's not really what I meant =)

basically I want to know if there's a way to send movement informations from ableton to specific knobs on instruments in reason.

f.e. if you build a rack in ableton, you can assign macro-knobs for specific stuff inside the rack. if you turn the knobs on the rack, you change parameters on instruments/effects and the sound changes.

(example: create a midi-track, throw on the "instrument rack->borealis" preset onto it and change the knobs).

now: if you drive an reason-instrument from within ableton through rewire (f.e. a NN-XT Advanced Sampler), the reason-instrument has knobs on it too. If I want to control those via my midi-keyboard FROM WITHIN ABLETON, what would I have to setup?

if I had to setup a midi-control in ableton, I just hit strg+m, click, move, strg+m it and I can control it.

Now how about reason? BUT FROM WITHIN ABLETON WITHOUT SWITCHING TO REASON?

(hope this was clearer than before :P)

-m

etzilla wrote:Hi Elderic,
I don't know if I understand your question, but if you want to "create shortcuts" to your controller in Reason then it's almost the same as in ableton but a little different.

Above all I have to tell you that I'm at work and I don't know exactly the names and terms, but I'll give it a try...

First make sure that rsn is selected.
Go to <options> and there you find a line wich say something like "enable midi options.... It's underneath the first marked line (with "keyboard..")
Click this and you'll find that your rack is turned "white". Select the patch you want to control, click the knob/fader to control, move your hardware fader, or a key and so on. finish by clicking the same line in <options>.

Problem in reason is that the patch you want to control must be selected in the sequencer rack. I've made an empty track so that nothing is changed when I don't want to. I switch between rsn and Ableton to do controls.
What I do lately is creating a miditrack in ableton, then (in "midi to") link it to reason and the patch I want. Problem with this is, I have to create an audio track in Live as well because we are doing this for sound, and not for clicking.
Here you can choose audio from reason. You can choose audio from the mixer: channel 1 channel 2 mix, or you can connect the patch in reason directly into the "hardware interface" and then in live the channels you need for that patch.

Hint: if you're in live and you want to know the channels to select, make sure the right patch in reason is selected (sequencer rack) go to live, open the "audio from" and then you see al channels. play the instrument and you'll see lighting up the audio indicators from the right channel.

This way you don't have to switch between Live and RSN to get to the right instument. Just select the right midi track.

I hope this helped you a little for I don't know your Axiom.

Greetz
Etienne.

etzilla

Post by etzilla » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:34 pm

I was close, but not that close!

First you have to assign the knobs to rsn.

Activate the instrument rack in rsn. Then go to options (above) then click "keyboard control edit mode". I'm not sure if the name is exactly the same, but if you open options you'll see a marker at "keyboard something" the line after that one has to be clicked. Your instrument rack turns transaparant white. Now you click on the knob you want to assign. You'll see a yellow flag turning. Now you can assign by moving the fader or knob on your controller. Now rsn shows you that it is assigned. When satisfied click options>keyboard control mode again and test if it works. Now go to ableton. And create a midi track. Now you have to assign the miditrack from ableton to a miditrack in reason. This is done in the midi options from that specific ableton miditrack. Now ableton knows where to send the signals to. Problem you have now is that ableton doesn't know that it has to generate audio from reason, so you have to create an audiotrack as well wich is assigned to reason or a specific instrument in reason.

So resume,
First learn reason what to do with incoming signals from your controller,
Then tell ableton to send signals to reason.

But as far as I can see it is done in a miditrack in ableton sending signals to a reason track.

I think the combinator works best for these kind of things.

I don't have internet at home yet so that's why I don't have a screenshot for you........

Etienne.

elderic

Post by elderic » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:58 pm

Hm, I tried it out and it didn't quite work out.
I can control the Reason-Settings if I just add the axiom as a control Surface under the Preferences in Reason.

Problem is: if I do so, reason receives duplicated notes. From the Ableton Track as well as from the master keyboard-setting in reason.

This results in one additional instrument sounding while I play a single track in ableton.

you can duplicate this by:
- adding two instruments (f.e. a NN-XT Advanced Sampler and a Maelstrom) in reason
- adding the keyboard u're using in reason as master keyboard
- switching to ableton, creating one midi track
- assigning the nn-xt to it
- switch it on, play some notes

result: the maelstrom should sound in addition to the regular reason track.

which is, of course, not desired :P

this is the only way, that I can control a knob from within ableton. but it also creates a problematic behaviour when you use the keyboard to play notes.

any ideas?

-marcus

etzilla wrote:I was close, but not that close!

First you have to assign the knobs to rsn.

Activate the instrument rack in rsn. Then go to options (above) then click "keyboard control edit mode". I'm not sure if the name is exactly the same, but if you open options you'll see a marker at "keyboard something" the line after that one has to be clicked. Your instrument rack turns transaparant white. Now you click on the knob you want to assign. You'll see a yellow flag turning. Now you can assign by moving the fader or knob on your controller. Now rsn shows you that it is assigned. When satisfied click options>keyboard control mode again and test if it works. Now go to ableton. And create a midi track. Now you have to assign the miditrack from ableton to a miditrack in reason. This is done in the midi options from that specific ableton miditrack. Now ableton knows where to send the signals to. Problem you have now is that ableton doesn't know that it has to generate audio from reason, so you have to create an audiotrack as well wich is assigned to reason or a specific instrument in reason.

So resume,
First learn reason what to do with incoming signals from your controller,
Then tell ableton to send signals to reason.

But as far as I can see it is done in a miditrack in ableton sending signals to a reason track.

I think the combinator works best for these kind of things.

I don't have internet at home yet so that's why I don't have a screenshot for you........

Etienne.

etzilla

Post by etzilla » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:11 pm

I allways create an empty track in Reason, wich I activate while playing in Ableton.
And you can't use a "hardware" knob twice.

If the last created instrument in reason is active you'll here it as well.

so if we look at your example:
create an empty track in reason.
activate it and then go to ableton.
go to your midi track with the nn-xt assigned to it.

and yet??

Etienne.

elderic

Post by elderic » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:23 pm

ahah! that's the trick!

only the last instrument in a reason rack receives the stuff from the master keyboard.
so you basically create a dummy instrument (f.e. a maelstrom) and disconnect it from the mixer. it will receive notes, but not sound up.
purrfect! =)

thx for making that train of thought run through my head, folks.

cheers,
marcus
etzilla wrote:I allways create an empty track in Reason, wich I activate while playing in Ableton.
And you can't use a "hardware" knob twice.

If the last created instrument in reason is active you'll here it as well.

so if we look at your example:
create an empty track in reason.
activate it and then go to ableton.
go to your midi track with the nn-xt assigned to it.

and yet??

Etienne.

etzilla

Post by etzilla » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:10 pm

so one more hint:

save a reason song with an empty track as a template...... And make this the opening file in reason.

Have fun.
Etienne

barstu

Post by barstu » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:30 pm

I have a similar problem. I think mine is more to do with my controller seems to be only available to one app at a time. So when I am trying to learn nobs in RSN it doesn't "learn" because it has no midi input. It will only see the nob moving when I deselect the midi device in Ableton, then select it in Reason. The keys play through rewire its just the nobs don't.

Any ideas any one. Controller = Evolution MK 225C