Kenton Killamix Mini - again

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mindlobster

Kenton Killamix Mini - again

Post by mindlobster » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:44 pm

Hey, I'm going to be on the Kenton stand at Sounds Expo Olympia on 1/2/3 March this year, if you want to come down and fiddle with the Killamix Mini, and indulge in some gratuitous Live-related chit-chat! I know some people have been wondering if it's worth the money...so come and see what you think. I've been gigging and VJing with it, carrying it everywhere. It works fine, and it's solid...I like it...but I WOULD say that!
Download the new ep 'the hardest working helmet in show business' from www.after-dinner.net/releases

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:25 pm

i have to admit that these things are pretty solid! i took a gamble as i wanted a small but tough controller that was bus powered and so far (i've only had it 2 weeks) i'm very impressed! i've remapped it for mackie control and a few other things in midiox and it suits me down to the ground :D
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

mindlobster

...kenton...

Post by mindlobster » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:52 pm

...that's good to hear...it is surprisingly versatile for such a basic-looking unit (I've also used it with Logic, Arkaos, Reason, etc)...and toughness was the whole idea...one plastic box too many!
Download the new ep 'the hardest working helmet in show business' from www.after-dinner.net/releases

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:33 am

Yeah, that's definitely my next purchase for sure.. been eyeing one forever, just waiting to hear how they are holding up. either of you guys got a 15" MBP? I'd love to see pic of it in relation to one of those.

Thanks for the update.

mindlobster

kenton...and on...

Post by mindlobster » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:39 am

Nah, I'm still using my 12" PB...somehow, from looking at the rumour sites, I get a feeling it's not a good time to buy a MBP...so much talk about updates and MacBook Thins and whatever...but I have a SERIOUS "need" for a new laptop!

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:50 am

using a toshiba sorry tarekith, but it does look pretty good though as my machines "silver" plastic :roll: i sit it across the touchpad mostly, but i have used it straight next to the machine (like a channel strip type of option) and it's still pretty intuitive...

it's VERY silver - quite a white/silver colour. if you've ever seen machined aluminum, thats the colour. all the knobs and the joystick are machined aluminium as well, so no broken joystick from dumping it in a bag! only problem i've noticed is that i'm slowly wearing a line into the joystick from running it around the extreme edge of it's travel - it needs a rubber protector or summink if you're listening mindlobster! how difficult is it to take the top off so i could get a rubber collar on that? looks like only a few screws once the knobs are off but not sure about warranty...

mindlobster

...kenton...and on...and on...

Post by mindlobster » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:13 am

Sometimes I use it alongside the laptop like a channel strip, on the right, sometimes in front of the laptop. I don't put it over the trackpad because I always end up needing that for something during the set. As far as the joystick questions, go, I have a meeting with Kenton tomorrow morning (UK time) - so I'll ask for ya and post later...goodnight for now :-)

mindlobster

kenton...and on...

Post by mindlobster » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:04 am

Clearscreen...the word from Kenton is - opening the Killamix is NOT recommended! Mainly because of the problems you can encounter getting all the LEDs to fit back through the holes in the case - the thing is CRAMMED. The scoring on the joystick is just cosmetic, and won't affect the operation. The other thing John Price from Kenton mentioned is that the joystick should pull off without opening the case, so you could replace it with another one if you wanted to. Hope that helps!

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:06 am

cheers for the info mindlobster - maybe i'll scratch my plan of taking the cover off and painting it black...

mindlobster

kenton...and on...

Post by mindlobster » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:15 am

Yeah! I would like to see colour options - maybe anodized aluminium...and different colour LEDs...but you can imagine what that would do to the price!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:30 pm

Thanks guys!

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:13 pm

Damn I really want one, but the price is just a little over the top for me. Not saying it aint worth it (couldn't say, really, without seeing one in person) but from a purely functional standpoint... I'm getting the same mileage (if considerably lesser sex-appeal) out of a cut up Evolution X-Session ($99!) Maybe if you ever get them shipped in volume to US channels such that VAT, currency conversion and shipping doesn't have 'em in the $500 range (yikes, that's nearly another laptop.) I'd have more likely pulled the trigger at ~$300, but now that I've got the X-Session sussed out, even that would be a tough sell.

iamnotcool

Post by iamnotcool » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:47 pm

wow I had no idea that the price was so high!
15" Macbook Pro C2D, Live 6, Remote Zero SL
Click here for my tunes!

Nikolaus

Post by Nikolaus » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:31 pm

I just bought DOEPFER Pocket Dial, also very solid. just 80€.

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:31 pm

mbenigni wrote:...a cut up Evolution X-Session...
Tell me more. Been wondering whether I could customise mine....
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II