Windows Vista: Home Premium or Ultimate?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Which Vista edition do you think is more suitable for your DAW?

Home Premium edition
15%
Ultimate edition
38%
(Other)
46%

Total votes: 13

alvaro

Windows Vista: Home Premium or Ultimate?

Post by alvaro » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:12 am

Hi all,

i know ableton's prompt us to wait a while, until Live runs flawless on Vista with no issues / multicore / 64 bit full support.

Despite of this, i would like to know which version of Vista are you planning to install.

You know there are at least 5 versions of vista:

-Home Basic
-Home Premium
-Bussiness
-Enterprise
-Ultimate

I think Home Premium and ultimate (64 bit edition, of course) are the most suitable for a DAW. IMHO, Home Premium would be my choice, i'd like to get Media center capabilities, wihtout all Internet / security crap of Ultimate version.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:14 am

None, sticking with XP.
..?

zappen

Post by zappen » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:37 am

Ultimate is the most complete, but most of laptops comes with Home Premium, Home Basic is a very restricted version, no aero, no media center and some more..
some infos about the edition's features
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vi ... nd_pricing

Nogi

Post by Nogi » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:50 am

I have just installed Vista Ultimate this weekend - twice actually. :roll: My PC was starting to cost me a lot of time in freezing tracks and rendering time so it was a convenient time to make the leap. Historically, Microsoft's record for 'upgrading vs. clean installs' has been horrible. Standard early adopter woes to follow no doubt. Don't call me chicken...

Early report:

Hardware//
Failed to install an ASUS P5B Deluxe 965 based board. Ugly - I'll be in RMA hell for awhile. Then, went ASUS P5N-E (nVidia 650i) instead and things are much better. I underestimated power requirements and bought a 600w PSU after many headaches with a supposed "400w". Vista uses a LOT of video power.

My Logitech MX1000 laser mouse was causing lock ups - that's a first. Added Logitech Vista drivers instead of MS drivers and life is better.

OS//
Once Vista matures (when or if?), it is going to be pretty cool. I can't see installing anything but Ultimate at this point due to the admin restrictions on the home versions for circumventing defense and install scenarios. A bit more latitude may make the difference while the OS is in its infancy between viability and liability. XP Pro at the ready, however.

Apps//
The latest iTunes is grossly unstable even compared to its poor XP stability. Unpredictable full system crashes. Not good.

Ableton has been "so far so good" swapping everything over. Tascam sounds like the FW1082 drivers are a ways out so I'll lean on Live hard once my MOTU Ultralite shows up.

More later.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:38 pm

I love how it is called "Vista Ultimate".

Almost reads as "If this doesn't work, we give up" :lol:

adi

Post by adi » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:08 pm

i have a free copy of business, so i'll be going with that.
Vista 64 Ultimate, Core i7 920, 12GB ram

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:55 pm

I'm not buying another windows OS....I'm so sick of all the bullshit. I currently own what is hopefully my last windows machine ever. :)

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:01 pm

ethios4 wrote:I'm not buying another windows OS....I'm so sick of all the bullshit. I currently own what is hopefully my last windows machine ever. :)
Me too, if there was a Linux version of Live and drivers available for my hardware I would happily switch.
..?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:01 pm

Nogi wrote:I have just installed Vista Ultimate this weekend - twice actually. :roll: ... Standard early adopter woes to follow no doubt. Don't call me chicken...
Personally, I'd call you turkey.

M$ is prolly calling you lab-rat.

In all seriousness, thanks for the feedback...Good to know of your experiences.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:49 pm

as far as music goes...
I'm not gonna touch vista until I absolutely have to....a scenario such as this:
ableton live 8, vista & leopard only. You know, once apps pretty much demand you use this particular OS.
spreader of butter