I'm Having Windows /Macbook Problems, any help out there???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stale bread

I'm Having Windows /Macbook Problems, any help out there???

Post by stale bread » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:41 am

ok heres the situation. i've a macbook 2.0 and i'm running xp on it, I have been for 2 months and no problems.

on the xp side when i'm in the windows desktop and I right click , you get all these choices like -wordpad, new folder, etc... again thats by right clicking on the desktop.
ok, when you right click the menu box that opens up is suppose to stay open for as long as you want so you can choose something. well mine won't stay open but for a second or two, it won't even give me enough time to make a selection from the list.

2. problem, when I click on one of the shortcut icons instead of opening up the application it opens up the icons properties box. so when i click on my live 6 desktop icon it doesn't open live, it just opens the properties for that shortcut, the same with all of the other icons on my desktop.

it also does this when i go inside 'my computer' and try to click on one of the hard drive icons, it just opens up the properties for that icon.

3. also when i've managed to open up Live, an arrangement that i've already made will play, but i'm not able to add any effects to any tracks, and i'm not able to add any instruments to any tracks. basicly i'm not able to add anything from lives browser.
I know this isn't a 'Live problem' but this is one of the effects of whatever problem it is..

oh yEAH i forgot on occasion i managed to open up the wordpad, and it won't let me type correctly either, it will put the wrong letter, or sometimes just stop alltogether and not print any words that i'm typing.

Does anyone have any idea which direction I should go with this?
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Thyme » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:54 am

Just a couple ideas/thoughts.....

Are you using the most recent Boot Camp? Each new release has updated drivers.

There is also a utility out there called applemous.zip, which is a drive to allow the single button touchpad to work properly with WinXP.

I'm assuming you are using an external mouse...correct?

You may want to try reinstalling the mouse driver, or seeing if there is a newer version.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:02 am

yeah i'm using an external mouse, but gotta question. install the latest bootcamp do I have to un_install xp, or can I just install bootcamp without changing anything else??

Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Thyme » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:30 am

stale bread wrote:yeah i'm using an external mouse, but gotta question. install the latest bootcamp do I have to un_install xp, or can I just install bootcamp without changing anything else??
I'm not positive about that. Apple's site would be the best bet to find out.

Each new BC version has updated drivers, so a newer one might help. If you have BC1.1.2 (I think it is), then you can "uninstall" XP, and get back to a regular OS X. Then, with the newest Boot Camp, redo the XP install.

I have actually nuked my HD a couple of times. As I've worked with it, my division of drive space to each OS has varied. Once I had a better idea on where it needed to be, I did a fresh install, didn't install anything unncessary on XP, and keep it pretty clean.

But I'm a little AR....I tend to nuke the drive about once a year just to clean out the junk that inevitably collects. 8)

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:41 pm

thanks justin, i'm going to go for the re-install and hope that sorts it out.