What Age did you start DJing and why?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jb61264

Post by jb61264 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:07 pm

I haven't started yet, but I'm 41 and would like to be cool so I'm thinking about starting :D
3.2 GHz Windows XP, Live 7, Reason 4, FL Studio 7, Stylus RMX, Sytrus, Toxic III, Novation X-Station 49, Akai MPD24, EMu XK6, Roland MC-303, Gemini BPM5000 Mixer, MBox

Erik M

Post by Erik M » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:19 pm

i started at 13, a little bit after the 1999 trance era. that's what really got me into djing and production. why do i dj? i like listening to music

tech

Post by tech » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:40 am

I live in Burnley in the north west of england & we used to have the legendary Angels night club with just about anyone who is anyone playing their so i was hooked with the music mainly techno so it started from their really i started to buy records about 11 year old before i had decks i knew i wanted to be a dj then i didnt get a set of decks until i was 17 so i had a good collection of music.

Im sick of this everyone wants to be a dj most are talentless thats why i want to dj with live i,ve heard a few dj,s dj,ing with live & it offers much more plus i want to get on the production ladder & make banging techno.
Techno expect the unexpected.

laurence

Post by laurence » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:12 pm

4 years ago, when i was 14, lol. Got some of the worst gemini belts you could ever imagine + compulsory berringger mixer! Moved up to soundlabs (the sort of thing you can get out of an argos catolog (the laminated book of dreams) yet they were directs so... the pitch stopped working on one of them over a year later- if you slowed it down, it ground to a halt, if you sped it up it would carry on getting faster and faster untill the table started coming loose. Then technics of course...

Then uni came and the technics went for monetary reasons- therefore live was a substitute, however, it seems i have spent more money on live than i could have bought my technics back for- simply beause it does open up the boundaries- remixing on the fly is awsome- even better when rewireing rebirth into it and subsituting beats- really confuses the hardcore electro heads!!!!!

Duno why i started- not for girls, or kudos, just it seemed fun- now its 100% about the music though- thats why i couldnt do it for a profession- then it becomes a job, a source of income, not what it all about imo!
I have no pets but enjoy drawing pictures of insects and sending them to people

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:32 pm

never, I took lotsa drugs and fucked lotsa girls but I was never afraid to make terrible music that was my own.

woodwardjnr

Post by woodwardjnr » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:27 pm

I started at 16 after going to Ibiza and thinking it looked cool and would help me pull birds, which it most certainly has, Girls love the DJ. fact

laurence

Post by laurence » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:40 pm

woodwardjnr wrote: Girls love the DJ. fact
very true :wink:
I have no pets but enjoy drawing pictures of insects and sending them to people

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:19 pm

I was 17 when I started playing vinyl. Still play vinyl to date but the more I'm getting into writing my own tracks the more I see DJing as something that will be for me to do at home to listen my music. Live sets of my own stuff are where it's at in a performance sense.

I started because I love music in general and it was a way to do something with it that didn't mean playing an instrument like everyone else I knew.
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:56 pm

corygilbert wrote:never, I took lotsa drugs and fucked lotsa girls but I was never afraid to make terrible music that was my own.
ok, I had to be at work at 8 and last night was my birthday, so I was feeling a little nasty there.
I've nothing but love for the DJ, some DJ's do more with 2 decks and 1 crate, than I've done with lots more.
it's true a dj saved my life.

detroitechno

Post by detroitechno » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:05 pm

Started around 16 years old with some early +8 records that I found at a local music store. I'm 28 now, and still playing daily in my bedroom :wink:
A bunch of gear, cords, and a computer...

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:53 pm

My main goal was always to produce. But some friends of mine recommended that I start DJing first, so that I could learn basic tune structure amongst other things. I followed their advice and picked up some turntables and a mixer and it all went on from there

I was 18

maxbaun

Post by maxbaun » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:57 am

i think i started when i was 12. now i'm 17.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:52 am

I followed the natural progression from rave kid -> DJ -> promoter -> music producer guy -> jaded old cynical asshole
Started DJing at 18 in 2000. It has always been really easy for me (learned to beatmatch in like 5 minutes!). Then about 2005, got bored, and decided to do Live PA. That took me about a year to get any good, and I've still got a ways to go. It's a lot better than DJing, I think.