subtle inconsistant tape speed effect?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
LouisC

subtle inconsistant tape speed effect?

Post by LouisC » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:40 am

hey guys.
listening to a lot of boards of canada at the moment and i've noticed on a lot of their synth tracks, they're keyboards are sounding a lot like they've been recorded on a really shoddy run down tape or something, constantly but subtly speeding up and slowing down a lot, detuning and stuff... assuming this can be digitally achieved through some pitch effect or something...

here are clips from a BOC tune and a nathan fake tune, with some subtle pitch bending kinda stuff... dunno a right term for it.

http://download.yousendit.com/D37593FB14B9CBD5

cheers.
louis.

Darwinist

Post by Darwinist » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:51 pm

You want a wow and flutter plugin...

Google "Interruptor VST" and you´ll find exactly what you want.....

Qnnilson

Post by Qnnilson » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:31 pm

on the boc synths, the play around with the "vibrato" effect that's on most analog synths, or with a simple sine LFO routed to the synths' pitch

hope it helps :wink:

COSM

Post by COSM » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:29 pm

Qnnilson wrote:on the boc synths, the play around with the "vibrato" effect that's on most analog synths, or with a simple sine LFO routed to the synths' pitch

hope it helps :wink:
Take it a level further and have one LFO sine wav on the pitch, and another LFO random wav assigned to the speed and intensity of the first LFO. White noise is always fun too :)

willum

Re: subtle inconsistant tape speed effect?

Post by willum » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:18 pm

LouisC wrote:they're keyboards are sounding a lot like they've been recorded on a really shoddy run down tape or something
I read an interview with BOC where they admitted to doing that very thing, bouncing recordings between two shoddy, run down tape machines until the signal is sufficiently degraded. I love that sound, and have been able to imitate it by using the aforementioned "sine LFO modulating pitch" technique. Use a really long duration, and a very gentle amplitude. I also like synths that enable you to inject noise into the signal to get a more dirty, broken sound. DaHornet is good, and FabFilter One is also nice for that. Guess I don't have to mention playing with distortion and bitcrushing. You can get a nice messed up effect using AutoPan, and using a higher frequency.

Qnnilson

Post by Qnnilson » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:26 am

all tricks posted here work fantastic

i remember playing around with an akai vst plugin called "rotator", that "pans" the signal in a rotating motion, with a flange/chorus-like effect. i haven't tried this, but you could make an effect rack adding an auto-pan + flanger + etc.

jamctelex

Post by jamctelex » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:18 pm

i just found this topic and while the pitch thing is clearly addressed, what about time?

i did an experiment over the weekend where i linked the pitch in operator and the global tempo controls to a pitch bend wheel on a midi keyboard. i got a nice little tape effect out of it.

http://soundcloud.com/tadomamusic

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:01 am

jamctelex wrote:i just found this topic and while the pitch thing is clearly addressed, what about time?

i did an experiment over the weekend where i linked the pitch in operator and the global tempo controls to a pitch bend wheel on a midi keyboard. i got a nice little tape effect out of it.

well dang i just bought your cd!

flippo

Post by flippo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:23 am

Reason's Thor's 'analogue' knob does this kind of thing nicely, too.

jamctelex

Post by jamctelex » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:09 pm

longjohns wrote:
jamctelex wrote:i just found this topic and while the pitch thing is clearly addressed, what about time?

well dang i just bought your cd!

oh wow. that's awesome! thanks!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:31 am

To compensate for a lack of a whammy bar, I got Expert Sleepers Warbler, when used simply is a vibrato effect, but has has more uses when put to extremes.
The upside to this is that you can use it on any track, so you're not limited to using vibrato on synths.
For example, use it on a group containing traditional instruments like acoustic guitar, bass and drums and you'll hear what I mean:)
ImageImage

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:56 pm

In the Youtube demo of Warbler I see that they're changing presets in VST from within Live's browser using Hot Swap Mode.
How is that possible? I thought it only worked for native Live devices.
shadx312 wrote:To compensate for a lack of a whammy bar, I got Expert Sleepers Warbler, when used simply is a vibrato effect, but has has more uses when put to extremes.
The upside to this is that you can use it on any track, so you're not limited to using vibrato on synths.
For example, use it on a group containing traditional instruments like acoustic guitar, bass and drums and you'll hear what I mean:)

poisoned

Post by poisoned » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Haven't listened to music, but my way of doing it is:
Bounce to audio,
Move the warp markers randomly with minor changes.

Also usable for tape-like reverb.

michaellpenman

Post by michaellpenman » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:50 pm

yeah its from a tape machine.
You get it from a dent in the play reel which causes it to wobble the pitch. It happen to me in a studio i worked in it sounded amazing on anything none drums.

raapie

Post by raapie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:12 pm

programmed it it Reason:
http://melodiefabriek.nl/2009/01/klankb ... -tapedeck/

My try it in Ableton too. Have considered it.
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com