Can one plugin trigger another?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
rnbeatz

Can one plugin trigger another?

Post by rnbeatz » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:52 pm

I want to use GURU as an AU/VST plugin in Live 6. I also want the sequencer in GURU to not only trigger guru but also send midi to trigger another plugin.

Does anyone know if Live 6 supports plugin triggering?

Thanks
Rhythm N. Beatz
iMac G5 10.4.9 2GB / Duet / Live 7 / Voyager

wmayhem

Post by wmayhem » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:07 pm

Guru does not output MIDI. Live does support midi from one track to another though You can drag a Guru Pattern directly into a midi cell in LIVE.

Microtoniq VST does output midi so that you can trigger other midi instruments in Live.

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:37 pm

If something does output MIDI you could route it out via the IAC buss on Mac and back into live so it can trigger/automate parameters in Live.

wmayhem

Post by wmayhem » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:44 pm

With Live 6 (maybe earlier versions too?) you can route from one midi track to another using Midi From. No need to route out of live and back in.

rnbeatz

Post by rnbeatz » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:05 pm

Actually, FXpansion emailed me that the latest version of GURU does output midi.

>> --- Angus Hewlett <amulet@fxpansion.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Yes - the latest update has limited capabilities for
>>> triggering other samplers. However, because it's not able to remap
>>> the triggers, it's mostly useful with something that's already very
>>> remappable e.g. Battery or Kontakt.
Rhythm N. Beatz

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:46 pm

wmayhem wrote:With Live 6 (maybe earlier versions too?) you can route from one midi track to another using Midi From. No need to route out of live and back in.
Yes, but I was talking about remote control of parameters (Cmd + M - MIDI map) - which you need to route out and back in again.

rnbeatz

Post by rnbeatz » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:05 am

fatrabbit wrote:
wmayhem wrote:With Live 6 (maybe earlier versions too?) you can route from one midi track to another using Midi From. No need to route out of live and back in.
Yes, but I was talking about remote control of parameters (Cmd + M - MIDI map) - which you need to route out and back in again.
Cool, we were talking about two different things. I was talking about triggering midi notes. I haven't gotten into midi mapping yet but that is on my list.
Rhythm N. Beatz