New Computer Music special "Insider's Guide to Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:05 pm

Thanks Alex for coming on the forum with this info!

Cheers,
M

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:23 pm

v00d00ppl wrote:anyone in the states have this yet? i can't find it at any bookstore....i am in cali....peace

I faven't looked for this yet, but I picked up last year's special (and lost it..) at Tower Records.

STRATEGY

dancook

Need the CD contents!

Post by dancook » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:14 am

I have the Special Issue (I really do! just ask me what's on any page and I can tell you). But I misplaced the CD a few days after bringing it home; I think my wife threw it out. :evil:

It took me a long time to locate and buy the issue, so I'm wondering if anybody can make the contents of the CD available for download.

deutero

Re: Solutions from a CM contributor!

Post by deutero » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:15 pm

AlexBlanco wrote: ...
If you follow through the Complete track tutorial you can just add you own sample/synth patches, but if you want to head straight to the Arrangement tutorial what we are going to do is Freeze and Flatten the individual loops so that anybody without the EIC can still work through the Arrangement tutorial.
Keep your eyes peeled and it should be up within a couple of days - we hope that helps!
-----------------
Eagerly and patiently waiting...
Live 8 w/ EIC, XP Pro SP3, 1.8GHz Core Duo, 3GB RAM, PreSonus Firebox, Evolution MK-425c, Korg nanoKONTROL, Akai LPK25, Akai LPD8, bigger than average brain (large hats)

bonomius

Post by bonomius » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:30 pm

damn...i didn't find anywhere so i ordered it from the site myfavouritemagazines.co.uk about 2 weeks ago and i still haven't received it. They neither reply to my mail.
Anyone experienced with them?

AlexBlanco

Arrangement tutorial problems nearly solved - I hope

Post by AlexBlanco » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:11 pm

Hi guys, sorry for the delay. Been incredibly hectic in the studio since the last post! anyway, we haven't actually got room on the website to post all of the frozen and flattened loops for the arrangement tutorial BUT we have come up with two options:

1. On the original disk, there was a flattened audio loop of the standard version of each loop we created in the 'make a track' tutorial. On monday we will be posting a download link to a Live 6 Project set using these files. All you will need to do is download it and then make sure you have copied those loops from the original CD onto your harddrive. Then when you open it, tell Live to look for the loops in whichever folder on your system you have placed them.

2. If you are really desperate to have all of our frozen and flattened variations, send an email to alex@blanco1977.fsnet.co.uk, and then I'll get back to you with an address to send a stamped, addressed envelope to and I'll send them on a disk, or if you have a yousendit account or similar upload facility, i can whack them on there for you.

Chat to you again on Monday folks. ;-)

ps One or two people have pointed out that there is a problem with the two free plugs MDA Stereo and LMC1 on Intel Macs. Sorry abotu that. i did the track long before the issue came out, to make sure we hit deadline and i hadn't got an Intel machine to hand yet, but had read in all the literature and been assured by somebody at Apple that older plugs would run under Rosetta, but very slowly, and since the plugs were very processor lite and the Intel machines are very fast, i thought it would be fine. Turns out they don't run. But the good news is that you don;t really need them to get the benefit of the tutorial, they were just a little self-indulgent audio-signature by the producer (me!). Sorry abotu that - will avoid the temptation to leave my mark next time. ;-)

AlexBlanco

one more thing...

Post by AlexBlanco » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:17 pm

If any of you can't possibly wait until Monday for the download link to solution 1, here is a download link from sendspace.com

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7f00lx

Or, if that link expires or gets used up then email me at alex@blanco1977.fsnet.co.uk and i will fire it over as soon as I can.

Have a great weekend

hoffman2k

Re: one more thing...

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:31 pm

---Edit---

AlexBlanco

The missing link...

Post by AlexBlanco » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:55 pm

hey guys, thanks to the highly helpful hoffman2k, there is now a fixed link for downloading the file for option 1...

http://www.thecovertoperators.org/uploads/RTA.zip

Remember that to run this you'll need to copy the audio loops fomr the cover disk onto your machine first as it references those.

Thanks again hoff

Naive Teen Idol

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:08 pm

Am I missing something here or are there no effects whatsoever on the "Ready To Arrange (with original audio)" set? It seems like there's, well, not much to do with this if there isn't...

Did I do something wrong opening/installing it?
MacBook 2 GHz Intel CoreDuo, 2GB RAM, Live 6.10, Reason 4.01, Reaktor 5.14, Novation Remote SL 25, GForce Oddity, TimewARP 2600, Arturia CS-80V 2, UC-33e, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Roland Jupiter 6 w Europa mod

noahbird

I'm stuck on page 17

Post by noahbird » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:28 am

Help?!?!

I'm a new user and I'm stuck on page 17. It's step 3/4 of 'Bass in the place'. It says to copy my last midi bass-line track to a new channel and run it through the 'Strings Ensemble Pizzicato Ultra Lite'. I've done that but all I get now is bass so quiet I can't hear it at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

------------------------------------

deutero wrote:I picked it up yesterday, and thumbing through it looks like it should be pretty helpful for a relative beginner like me. A couple of annoying and frustrating things, though:

+ Many typographical errors that make a copy editor like me squirm.

+ The CD-ROM is not intuitively organized and it takes a while to figure out what is what, even after referencing the descriptions in the magazine.

+ I made it to page 17--part way through the first tutorial--only to find myself unable to complete the tutorial as directed because they assume the user has the EIC (I don't) and don't offer any alternative suggestions for instruments to use or even an idea of what a particular patch sounds like. I then tried to load the completed lesson Live sets and it didn't work because of missing samples (EIC?) and certain 3rd party effects being referenced as audio units instead of their vst versions, thereby excluding PC users.

I still think it will prove helpful for me in learning to use Live in ways I haven't yet, but it seems like the release was rushed and some details overlooked. Not what I'd expect for the US$16 I paid for it.
CWoodOne wrote:
v00d00ppl wrote:anyone in the states have this yet? i can't find it at any bookstore....i am in cali....peace
Borders in Cherry Hill, NJ had it.
I also got it from a Borders store.

darcyb

Post by darcyb » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:06 pm

I'm too late! I can't find the issue in stores, and the online store said they're sold out. *sigh*

If anyone can recommend some good books on Live 6, or DVD tutorials etc., feel free!

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:31 am

Try Barnes & Noble, both local in-store AND online.....

I picked mine up just a couple of days ago from a local B&N.... (and they had about 5 copies left there!)

hope this helps...

peace,
tribalogical
iMac 5K 27", 4.2Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 3TB Fusion HD: Focusrite 6i6 v2: NI S88 keyboard
MacBookPro 13", 2.4Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD
MacOS 10.12.6 (Sierra)
Apps:: Live Suite 9.7.4, Logic Pro X
Plugins:: hordes...

jyang

Re: I'm stuck on page 17

Post by jyang » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

noahbird wrote:Help?!?!

I'm a new user and I'm stuck on page 17. It's step 3/4 of 'Bass in the place'. It says to copy my last midi bass-line track to a new channel and run it through the 'Strings Ensemble Pizzicato Ultra Lite'. I've done that but all I get now is bass so quiet I can't hear it at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

------------------------------------
Hey. I think you need to COPY the clip to the strings track, not MOVE it... The idea is to add colour to the bass line, by putting that same MIDI clip on another track, so they both play simultaneously.
"One need not fear the future of music..." JC