Gonna buy Serato Scratch!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Patch

Post by Patch » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:42 pm

My mixvibes has JUST turned up at work - problem I have now is that my brother has my laptop in hospital to watch DVDs on. The Punk! Expect an update soon, scratch fans...

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:09 pm

Current Gig Set-up:

A+H X-Zone 62

Channels 1+2:

Two Technics 1200's running FS2, (Traktor 3 on a Powerbook 1.15 Ghz, 1.5 gigs of RAM and a 7200 RPM HD)) also able to play analog records.

Channels 3+4:

Two Technics SL-DZ1200's

Channel 5:

Ableton LIVE for Acappella's, filter effects and Ultra Focus VI controlled with a MikroKontrol (on the same Power Book as Traktor)

Channel 6:

Mackie 1604 with a Novation Bass Station, NORD Rack and Micro Kontrol, (mostly for Vocoding Vox).

Obviously this is a two-person live performance. My partner and I cycle during the show from running two decks and two CD's, (sometimes 4 tracks of the same song at once playing at different loop points and or different versions) mixing off each other and then going into Improv / Remix with a 32 bar Beat looped in Traktor or the SL-DZ1200's, adding an Acappella / Effects from LIVE, and playing riffs from our synths and back into a Tag-Team DJ set and back out.

It can get pretty hairy. But it's so exciting because every set is different and takes on a life of it's own as our energy and inspiration builds.

I'm looking at getting a controller for Traktor, (maybe that Vestaxx) and also using a foot pedal to trigger loops so we can mutate our sound even faster and liberate our right brains. Also, I'm going to finally break down and get a MacBook Pro so I can have Traktor and LIVE running on two separate books, (for stability).

Are we having fun yet???
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Patch

Post by Patch » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:54 am

8O !!!

This weekend I FINALLY set up my Mixvibes and ran it alongside Live.

It worked!!!

However - there was some audio glitching/crackling in the Live audio (4 tracks routed to separate channels on the DJM600) while scratching with Mixvibes. BUT - my buffer was set to the absolute minimum in Live (total latency 1ms), and Mixvibes - so I'll do some experimenting with it this week.

I'm VERY CONFIDENT that I will get both running together on one laptop.

I used the U46DJ for mixvibes, and routed the audio from that back through a different DJ mixer and then into live through the Motu Ultralite.

(Live = Ultralite, Mixvibes = U46DJ).

This is gonna be fun...

(PS - I've got mixvibes running with 3ms latency. It is VERY DIFFICULT to tell you are not using genuine vinyl. I love it.)

djmichaelwenz

Post by djmichaelwenz » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:05 pm

That is good to know, please let us know how it comes out when you increase your buffer. After seeing my freind on FS having wicked trouble on NYE, I am definetly thinking Mixvibes, Serato or Torq. Tou liking mixvibes puts them back in the rankings for a possible purchase.

Michael
Professional Ableton Mixing and Analog Mastering? https://www.wenzmastering.com

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:14 am

djmichaelwenz wrote:That is good to know, please let us know how it comes out when you increase your buffer. After seeing my freind on FS having wicked trouble on NYE, I am definetly thinking Mixvibes, Serato or Torq. Tou liking mixvibes puts them back in the rankings for a possible purchase.

Michael

If stability is important then i suggest Serato.
If you want ergonomic + DJ -friendly -again- Serato.

FS is a joke.

Torq could be interesting but i am killing it with Serato + LIVE6.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:51 am

Don't forget about ms.pinky guys.

I just picked it up and after a couple of minor initial problems that I got sorted, the thing is awesome.
And the ability to use pinky pluggo as a plug-in in Live is really cool too. It only costs 100 bucks, and you get four control vinyl and both standalone apps and the plug-in. Plus you can scratch quicktime movies. All you need is a phono preamp for it to work, and you use your existing ins/outs on your soundcard.

Best value purchase I've spent money on in a while. It works amazingly.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

Trat

Post by Trat » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:57 am

R.J.Dubya wrote:Don't forget about ms.pinky guys.

I just picked it up and after a couple of minor initial problems that I got sorted, the thing is awesome.
And the ability to use pinky pluggo as a plug-in in Live is really cool too. It only costs 100 bucks, and you get four control vinyl and both standalone apps and the plug-in. Plus you can scratch quicktime movies. All you need is a phono preamp for it to work, and you use your existing ins/outs on your soundcard.

Nobody is going to play in front of 10.000 peeps with miss pinky... Use Serato and spend some money.
Serato vs. TFS: who cares?
Mac vs. PCs: who cares?

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:09 am

Trat wrote:
R.J.Dubya wrote:Don't forget about ms.pinky guys.

Nobody is going to play in front of 10.000 peeps with miss pinky... Use Serato and spend some money.
So just to make sure I understand you, people won't play in front of others with ms.pinky because it doesn't cost as much? Is that embarrassing? Or is it the pink control vinyl? Seems kinda gay? Well it comes with black ones too if pink scares you.

Also, because those who play in front of 10,000 people wouldn't use pinky, does that mean the rest of shouldn't either? What's the maximum number of people you can play in front of with ms.pinky anyways? 5000 or so? If so, maybe I should return it in case I get a gig in front of 6000 people....
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Patch

Post by Patch » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:19 pm

Looks like there's a new cntender. Ms. Pinky VST. Anybody using it/tired it yet? I'd love to get hold of a copy to try it out...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:23 pm

Patch wrote:Looks like there's a new cntender. Ms. Pinky VST. Anybody using it/tired it yet? I'd love to get hold of a copy to try it out...
been using it, loving it. I have no clue how well it tracks compared to the others.

drop a VST version into Live, point it to the 'processed' or 'crop' folders for the Live project, process (freeze) or crop a loop and they appear in one of those folders. then load it in Pinky, you're basically scratching clips from your set.

the standalone version lets you have two decks.

another version also lets you scratch video.

$100, sweeeeet.

I've had this idea that I never followed up on.
record the sound of timecode vinyl being scratched then use that as the input source to control Pinky. IOW play a clip into Pinky, that clip has the sound of timecode being moved around, it'll scratch automatically. I hereby call these 'scratch clips.'
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:13 pm

Patch wrote:Looks like there's a new cntender. Ms. Pinky VST. Anybody using it/tired it yet? I'd love to get hold of a copy to try it out...
Not that new really. Even before the VST version, you could still load it as a plug-in via VST/AU pluggo runtime (free). Not that much is different with this new version.
Tone Deft wrote: been using it, loving it. I have no clue how well it tracks compared to the others.

drop a VST version into Live, point it to the 'processed' or 'crop' folders for the Live project, process (freeze) or crop a loop and they appear in one of those folders. then load it in Pinky, you're basically scratching clips from your set.

the standalone version lets you have two decks.

another version also lets you scratch video.

$100, sweeeeet.

I've had this idea that I never followed up on.
record the sound of timecode vinyl being scratched then use that as the input source to control Pinky. IOW play a clip into Pinky, that clip has the sound of timecode being moved around, it'll scratch automatically. I hereby call these 'scratch clips.'
Cool idea. But one problem with that is that the scratched noise will probably not line up with a new sample that you load which wasn't used for the scratching. Of course you can change the start point of the clip, but I think it would be fiddly to get it musical sounding.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:23 am

Let's do the timewarp again...

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:19 am

Tone - I also had that idea, but took it one step further. I was going to record the sound of the timecode while doing beat juggles. So you'd have a timecode beat juggle recorded that you could just use to play th same juggle pattern, but with any tune. It'd be great fro testing which tunes could be used with which juggles...

Also - can you load 2 instances of the VST on 2 different tracks and have a dual turntable set-up?

What about the vinyl? Does it only owrk with the Ms. Pinky vinyl? I have Mixvibes and Serato vinyl...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:55 pm

Patch wrote:Also - can you load 2 instances of the VST on 2 different tracks and have a dual turntable set-up?
yep
What about the vinyl? Does it only owrk with the Ms. Pinky vinyl? I have Mixvibes and Serato vinyl...
there's a drop down box to choose between a few different vinly types.

btw they also give you the MsPinky max/msp object so you can make your own creations from the core technology.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz